PDA

View Full Version : [Gen II] Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal

Pia Carrot
23rd July 2013, 07:28 AM
People have been asking where to find this. Only place I've really found the ROM is rapidshare so I made a patch instead.

What this is, is a poor translation of Pokémon Crystal that holds some hilarious text and terrible translation. It's popular for LPs because of the dialogue itself.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Please do not ask for a ROM or ask why the game doesn't do anything when you open it up in Adobe! You need to find the rom titled Pocket Monsters Crystal Glass (Chinese) (Unl) on your own, literally just copy and paste the dump name and find it on Google or something, and then take the .ips I have provided and use the program Lunar IPS to patch it onto the ROM file. THANK YOU!

Hack Name: (Vietnamese Crystal)
Hack of: Pocket Monsters Crystal Version (Unlicensed Chinese Version)
Dump name: Pocket Monsters Crystal Glass (Chinese) (Unl) [C][a1].zip
Type: Translation

Screenshots:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/iwxknk0vgz4o0qo/vietcris1.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gdpo42lofj4z1kh/vietcris2.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/qhvb9yf7eqoqkda/vietcris3.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/aphnynt4evo1hna/vietcris4.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/pp7bofysiyw2ner/vietcris5.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/11j3w8dmfgalgmu/vietcris6.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/0lrwhpzrbu74h7l/vietcris7.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/edvkpp19excjmmg/vietcris8.png

Bugs:
LIPS told me the patch wouldn't do anything, but it seems to patch just fine. It may cause some bugs but probably not.
Goldenrod PokeCOMM center crashes on GBA emulators. Use a realistic GBC emu like BGB or TGB-Dual.

Download:
In the attachments.

DISCLAIMER: I do not take credit for making this hack. Just made a legal patch for it.

Luna
23rd July 2013, 07:46 AM
WELCOME! ITS ELFS WORLD!

Nice to see this back again, we used to joke about this one all the time back in high school. I remember I found it while trying to find a translated version of the Japanese Crystal so I could check out the Pokecom Center. It was hard to find one that wasn't full of Elf text though. I know at one point I found a rom that said "Pokemon Crystal 100% English NO ELFS" but then I opened it up in my emulator, and of course: "WELCOME! ITS ELFSWORLD!" and at that point I stopped looking and enjoyed the elfs.

Pia Carrot
23rd July 2013, 07:51 AM
WELCOME! ITS ELFS WORLD!

Nice to see this back again, we used to joke about this one all the time back in high school. I remember I found it while trying to find a translated version of the Japanese Crystal so I could check out the Pokecom Center. It was hard to find one that wasn't full of Elf text though. I know at one point I found a rom that said "Pokemon Crystal 100% English NO ELFS" but then I opened it up in my emulator, and of course: "WELCOME! ITS ELFSWORLD!" and at that point I stopped looking and enjoyed the elfs.

I didn't realize its fame was known when you were in high school o_O

I knew bootlegs of it were popping up early 21st century but I actually hadn't found a ROM dump of it until around 2011. I blame Megaupload.

Team Fail and I found a copy on Ebay and were trying to get it but it got flagged before the auction ended ;n;

Luna
23rd July 2013, 07:54 AM
Well, let's see. I graduated high school in 2007, and I know I'd seen this by at least my junior year. Maybe sophomore. I don't remember exactly. But I remember printing out a picture of Oak with the little "Welcome its elfs world" text and bringing it to band practice one day.

Linkandzelda
23rd July 2013, 07:57 AM
Always found this fascinating, and would be great to have a physical copy of it. Thanks for putting up a patch :)

Team Fail
23rd July 2013, 09:21 AM
I'll always try to find a cart of it. Also, I know that GBCAD Gameyob (GBC emulator for NDS) won't run the PokeComm center.

Pia Carrot
23rd July 2013, 09:36 AM
I'll always try to find a cart of it. Also, I know that GBCAD Gameyob (GBC emulator for NDS) won't run the PokeComm center.

My only guess for this is because of how it grabs that extra bank of data that seems to be exclusive for a few GB/C games.

Black Charizard
23rd July 2013, 02:02 PM
Team Fail found a post on a dutch market place site and I'm buying it :)

Shhwonk
23rd July 2013, 02:04 PM
This is hilarious. I'd like to know exactly why they attempted to translate this in the first place.

droomph
23rd July 2013, 06:52 PM
This is hilarious. I'd like to know exactly why they attempted to translate this in the first place.

bootleg

and it was Chinese

they translated it into tięng viet

and then they translated it back to English

all with the help of Google Translate.

Luna
23rd July 2013, 06:55 PM
I think it wouldn't be nearly as hilarious if it wasn't arbitrarily in ALL CAPS FOR NO REASON. AND WITH ALMOST NO PUNCTUATION

Elsa
24th July 2013, 03:35 AM
Seriously, this game is great :D
It never gets old~

Black Charizard
26th July 2013, 01:35 PM
Look what I found in my mailbox today :)

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2159/qtct.jpg

Team Fail
26th July 2013, 04:54 PM
Not to mention I just swiped up a copy on eBay from the same seller that had it removed earlier :D He relisted it as a Buy-It-Now for me, so I went and got it.

I'm over the moon now. brb

droomph
27th July 2013, 10:45 PM
I don't understand

the patch is only 8 bytes long

Pia Carrot
28th July 2013, 03:26 AM
I don't understand

the patch is only 8 bytes long

It's not like new graphics were introduced. It's just text changes. Like I said if bugs arise please report them.

droomph
28th July 2013, 04:12 AM
It's not like new graphics were introduced. It's just text changes. Like I said if bugs arise please report them.

but 8 bytes? that seems a little underwhelming.

Pia Carrot
28th July 2013, 04:19 AM
but 8 bytes? that seems a little underwhelming.

You underestimate LIPS. It's a very compact and powerful tool.

droomph
28th July 2013, 04:24 AM
You underestimate LIPS. It's a very compact and powerful tool.

No, but literally, 8 bytes will not work. It's just not mathematically possible. I made one, and it was 1.2 MB.

All your "patch" says is "PATCHEOF" and that's it. I tried applying it, and I can assure you that it doesn't work.

I've uploaded a copy that I made from LIPS. download (https://s3.amazonaws.com/droomph/RHO/Vietnamese+Crystal.ips)

Pia Carrot
28th July 2013, 04:26 AM
No, but literally, 8 bytes will not work. It's just not mathematically possible. I made one, and it was 1.2 MB.

All your "patch" says is "PATCHEOF" and that's it. I tried applying it, and I can assure you that it doesn't work.

I've uploaded a copy that I made from LIPS. download (https://s3.amazonaws.com/droomph/RHO/Vietnamese+Crystal.ips)

I'm almost positive it worked for me before I uploaded it...But yeah, surprised no one has said anything if that's the case.

Pia Carrot
2nd August 2013, 08:07 PM
I've solved the issue. This is a hack of Pokemon Crystal Version 1.1. Allegedly Japanese o_O The source didn't specify.

EDIT: The source was english yet it seems to patch despite VBA giving an error message. So not completely solved. I'll keep looking...

The dump's name is Pokémon - Crystal Version (UE) (V1.1) [C][!].gbc

EDIT 2:

I did some research and heard it was a hack of the unlicensed chinese translation, So, found this dump:
Pocket Monsters Crystal Glass (Chinese) (Unl) [C][a1].zip

And the patch is considerably smaller, working. I assume I found it.

Here ya' go:

The Better Dumbo
1st March 2014, 09:37 PM
okay, lets assume this game was correctly translated, it would be just horrible, as it wouldnt be any fun at all, and would just be another unlicensed pokemon game

Miksy91
1st March 2014, 10:20 PM
The game is indeed just like normal crystal version in bad english and there is nothing more to it. I personally never found playing the hack that fun or exciting, but the beginning of this run (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_bhwCgtXg) is funny.

And this game probably offers the most epic rival dialogue ever seen in a pokemon game. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYedd0dD7s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdYedd0dD7s)). But apart from those few scenes, there's not much to be seen there. :)

Luna
1st March 2014, 11:03 PM
I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO, COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE. YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE. 

If there's one thing Silver doesn't like, it's trashy people.

Miksy91
2nd March 2014, 12:52 PM
If there's one thing Silver doesn't like, it's trashy people.
Expect for the fact that we're talking about "Chedr" here ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb2MkmoisXs

MrGenericMan
20th March 2014, 02:06 AM
I searched pretty much the entire internet for this, coming across broken link after broken link, before finally deciding to bite the bullet and register for a site of which I am here for one reason only.

This may very well be my only post on this forum unless my interest in Pokemon romhacking somehow gets rekindled, but anyway, thanks for coming through in the clutch while the rest of the internet sucked.

I'll be taking my leave now. I'm off to Elf Monster's world.

Seriously, I cannot reiterate how much you don't suck.

Pia Carrot
20th March 2014, 02:25 AM
I searched pretty much the entire internet for this, coming across broken link after broken link, before finally deciding to bite the bullet and register for a site of which I am here for one reason only.

This may very well be my only post on this forum unless my interest in Pokemon romhacking somehow gets rekindled, but anyway, thanks for coming through in the clutch while the rest of the internet sucked.

I'll be taking my leave now. I'm off to Elf Monster's world.

Seriously, I cannot reiterate how much you don't suck.

I'm relieved to know that I don't suck. Enjoy the hack xD

ElitePokes
18th April 2014, 04:59 AM
best game ever

MikaruMenoko
18th April 2014, 07:32 AM
KRIS!DRUG
BAG FUCK

Rich666
24th June 2014, 04:49 AM
Thanks for posting this, and glad to find a still activ-ish thread about it on the internet :P I only found out about this recently and wanted a ROM of it.
This was so I could play it on my PSP and see the screen properly :P I oddly DO have a physical cartridge of it though, just I don't have any techy knowledge of how to make my own ROM from it, and nor is this me asking anyone to tell me how to do it, just to note :P

Any idea if it's worth anything? I got it from a house clearance my brother went to, the plastic itself is purple and sparkly, the words ingraved into the plastic read 'GAME COLOR' (instead of Gameboy Color), and has the name 'Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition Crystal Version' on the label, and a picture of some Pokemon that I have no idea about (cause I kind of lost interest went they started to go over 151) :P It looks kind of green, white and purple though.

later edit:
I had to check first but I also have a boxed version (with badly translated manual and box) of Pokemon Silver, which from what I can work out appears to be an English translation of the Japanese version because of the title screen still being from 'Pocket Monsters', the translation in game seems fairly solid early on aside from some bizarre grammar errors, but from what little I remember from years ago it gets worse later on. The cartridge itself is grey and does appear to have once been the shell for a genuine Nintendo Gameboy game (which is still odd, given that Silver is a GameBoy Color game and all).

anaphysik
24th June 2014, 05:43 AM
Hm, does this have the move name indexing errors that the original VietCrystal does? I wonder if that was a problem in the untranslated ROM, or if the translators borked it up somehow.

What I mean:
>Poison Sting has no name.
>Bite, which is indexed after Poison Sting but before Roar/Sing (the next move with no name, unfortunately I do not know which), is called "Stare" - what would be Leer's name, as Leer is one move before Bite.
>Growl, which is the next move after Bite, is called "Bite."
And it only gets worse later.

Frex, this caused endless confusion and humour in the DeliciousCinnamon LP. As a fan, I ended up going through all their episodes and compiling an index of the..., well, the index. (I also did the mons and the items, but mons have no index errors (only weird names, a few of which are very interesting) and the item indexing is less complete and the errors are less understood).

For anyone curious:

Team Fail
24th June 2014, 09:37 PM
I oddly DO have a physical cartridge of it though, just I don't have any techy knowledge of how to make my own ROM from it, and nor is this me asking anyone to tell me how to do it, just to note :P

Any idea if it's worth anything? I got it from a house clearance my brother went to, the plastic itself is purple and sparkly, the words ingraved into the plastic read 'GAME COLOR' (instead of Gameboy Color), and has the name 'Pokemon Special Pikachu Edition Crystal Version' on the label, and a picture of some Pokemon that I have no idea about (cause I kind of lost interest went they started to go over 151) :P It looks kind of green, white and purple though.

It's not worth a whole ton, I paid $20 for it on eBay (Although I never did receive it, with a bunch of shipping issues and whatnot, and the 60-day case thing passed on me...). I'd really like to actually get a physical copy in my own hands though if I can ever find it again.

Rich666
24th June 2014, 09:54 PM
It's not worth a whole ton, I paid $20 for it on eBay (Although I never did receive it, with a bunch of shipping issues and whatnot, and the 60-day case thing passed on me...). I'd really like to actually get a physical copy in my own hands though if I can ever find it again.

I would list my copy on eBay but the do-gooders always ban auctions like that, I'm assuming because they don't have anything better to do with their time. I would also list my weird version of silver too but I doubt I would get much for it at all.
Oh and I live in the UK so assuming you live in the US, yeah postage is always there but some people DO overcharge for overseas postage sadly.

Team Fail
24th June 2014, 10:05 PM
I would list my copy on eBay but the do-gooders always ban auctions like that, I'm assuming because they don't have anything better to do with their time. I would also list my weird version of silver too but I doubt I would get much for it at all.
Oh and I live in the UK so assuming you live in the US, yeah postage is always there but some people DO overcharge for overseas postage sadly.

Yeah, it was like, $4 for shipping to Canada. But you're right, eBay TOS would have it removed. I had to talk to the seller and get him to list it without any images or proof that it was a bootleg in order to be able to purchase it.

But you know how that went.

Rich666
27th June 2014, 08:19 AM
Yeah see that's the thing, if I listed it without giving details on it then it would either not get any attention/bids at all, or be bought by someone who thinks it's the 'real' version then get all arsey about it after it arrives.
Any other ideas?

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat, but it is still about the game I guess :)

Team Fail
27th June 2014, 05:24 PM
Yeah see that's the thing, if I listed it without giving details on it then it would either not get any attention/bids at all, or be bought by someone who thinks it's the 'real' version then get all arsey about it after it arrives.
Any other ideas?

Sorry to derail the thread somewhat, but it is still about the game I guess :)

Yeah, he just set it up as a BIN and sent me a link to it. It did work out in the end. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Rich666
27th June 2014, 05:30 PM
Yeah true, I've been screwed out of money online too so I know that feeling :(

Is there anywhere on the board I can offer it up for sale without being kicked off, or is that a no-no altogether?

Team Fail
27th June 2014, 05:36 PM
Yeah true, I've been screwed out of money online too so I know that feeling :(

Is there anywhere on the board I can offer it up for sale without being kicked off, or is that a no-no altogether?

We usually don't allow people to sell things, although they can choose to do it via PM on their own regards. I've done that myself here a few times with someone in obtaining some GBA bootlegs.

Rich666
27th June 2014, 05:40 PM
What about putting it in my sig? Though I guess I don't really know a hell of a lot about hacking or whatever so I have no idea how much my posts would even be spread around :P I just wish I could let people know about it so people would have a chance to ask me about it before I possibly sell it to someone you know? Ah well :)

Oh and I appreciate you answering my questions and stuff! Most of the boards I seek out for a question I either get banned for joining (what?) or just ignored, so it's nice being here :)

Team Fail
28th June 2014, 02:05 AM
What about putting it in my sig? Though I guess I don't really know a hell of a lot about hacking or whatever so I have no idea how much my posts would even be spread around :P I just wish I could let people know about it so people would have a chance to ask me about it before I possibly sell it to someone you know? Ah well :)

Oh and I appreciate you answering my questions and stuff! Most of the boards I seek out for a question I either get banned for joining (what?) or just ignored, so it's nice being here :)

I'd buy it from you if I weren't so poor lol. Heading to College really sucks :/

Rich666
29th June 2014, 02:49 AM
Well I'm not likely to sell it any time soon, so message me some time when you want to and we can see then :)

Wennekk
26th October 2014, 08:16 PM
How do I actually install the hack? I just have it sitting in the same folder as my .GBC for my computer emulator.

Rich666
26th October 2014, 08:18 PM
You don't need to patch the original version or anything like that, it's a game of its own. So yeah just put it in the same folder as your other games :)

Wennekk
26th October 2014, 08:22 PM
Oh okay, thanks I honestly wasn't expectinga reply so fast, that's the sign of a strong community. The issue is it doesn't appear on it's own, it says it's unsupported by my VBA emulator.

Rich666
26th October 2014, 08:32 PM
Actually I was sorting some eBay emails and happened to be at my inbox when the 'reply to a thread you posted on' message arrived :P This probably the only thread I've ever posted in on this forum so you got lucky ;D heh.
It probably is quite active though all the same :)

What format is the file you are putting in the rom folder?

Wennekk
26th October 2014, 08:36 PM
The file is .ips which is new to me, the rest of my playable VBA files are .GBC or .GBA files. Also yes I was very lucky heck I just made the account to enquire about this, been looking everywhere for it.

Rich666
26th October 2014, 08:46 PM
Ah right, yeah .ips is a patch file so it needs to be patched over the original. However there are just 'normal' versions of this wacky mad game so you'd be better off just grabbing that. If you want a link or something then let me know, but it should be easy enough to find.

Although learning how to patch .ips files will be worth it if you play patched games in future, and is really rather easy :)

Banjora Marxvile
27th October 2014, 06:39 PM
Take this into PMs please. I also assume you are talking about linking to ROMs via PMs, which are not allowed on this site afaik, so please cut it out, thank you :) But if you are not on about linking to ROMs, take it elsewhere as I feel it is getting off topic here.

EDIT: Whilst I am here, I noticed that this thread was revived beyond the one month rule only yesterday, so I need to lock this unless the creator wants it reopened.

Pia Carrot
6th November 2014, 06:23 PM
Imma just reopen this seeing as I'm still active. For those of you that have no idea what an ips is you'll need to patch the original version of game, which I have stated in the op as "Pocket Monsters Crystal Glass (Chinese) (Unl) [C][a1]"

Linking to ROMs is against the rules here so I'll have to hide your posts.

BakedWaffle
23rd November 2014, 02:38 AM
How come i download it, then open it, but then it tries to open it with Adobe and it says it doesn't work :/ What am i suppose to open it with?

Crystal Togekiss
23rd November 2014, 04:28 AM
How come i download it, then open it, but then it tries to open it with Adobe and it says it doesn't work :/ What am i suppose to open it with?
This was the reply just before yours. It happens to answer your question.
Imma just reopen this seeing as I'm still active. For those of you that have no idea what an ips is you'll need to patch the original version of game, which I have stated in the op as "Pocket Monsters Crystal Glass (Chinese) (Unl) [C][a1]"

Team Fail
23rd November 2014, 05:26 AM
Because the file isn't designed for Adobe Reader. It's an IPS patch that's applied using Lunar IPS to a Pokemon Crystal rom file.

xxx_mlgpikachuhaxor_xxx
10th December 2014, 12:20 AM
Um, how do I open and use this? Help please?

Crystal Togekiss
10th December 2014, 11:36 AM
Um, how do I open and use this? Help please?
Please read the posts right before this and on the past page.

LightningXCE
29th March 2015, 05:39 AM
Apologies for the necrobump, but do you happen to still have this? I'd be extremely interested in getting it from you.

To make this atleast a slightly bit relevant post, there is also a version of Emerald on a 122 in 1 bootleg cart that features similar things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGAah_pl3k&list=PL-M5ROTFqvx_xKYSK94_BgLkGrA-rybb7

Aperso
29th March 2015, 11:07 AM
Apologies for the necrobump, but do you happen to still have this? I'd be extremely interested in getting it from you.

To make this atleast a slightly bit relevant post, there is also a version of Emerald on a 122 in 1 bootleg cart that features similar things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FGAah_pl3k&list=PL-M5ROTFqvx_xKYSK94_BgLkGrA-rybb7

The IPS is available on the first page. Patch that to a Pokémon crystal ROM and you can play it.

LightningXCE
30th March 2015, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I am aware of that.

I meant it more directed to Rich666 for me to purchase his actual copy.

Thanks!