PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online

PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online (http://pokemonhackersonline.com/index.php)
-   Questions & Answers (http://pokemonhackersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   [QUESTION] Changing Starting Position in FR? (http://pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=15140)

Bauerklos 11th August 2014 06:11 PM

[QUESTION] Changing Starting Position in FR?

Hey everybody, this is my first thread here, and I think I'm posting it in the right place, but please tell me if I'm not. ;)

Alright, so I'm having a bit of a ROM hacking dilemma here, as I can't seem to change the starting position in FireRed.

What I mean by starting position, is when you first start the game and you're in your room in Pallet Town.

I'm trying to change it to the S.S. Anne for the start of my hack using SMCA by HackMew, but I'm not sure what "banks" or "levels" mean, and I'm having trouble finding a good tutorial for it.

I've also tried hex editing the starting position using a guide but it didn't exactly explain what banks or levels were, just where they were when opening the ROM in HxD or any hex editor.

Help would be appreciated! :)

DoesntKnowHowToPlay 12th August 2014 03:25 AM

The hacky-but-effective solution is to just change the tileset and events of the house in Pallet Town so it looks like and connects to an S.S. Anne room. I'm pretty sure there's a method documented somewhere to control your exact location at the start for FR though, if that's not to your liking.

There's also the solution you seem to be attempting, which is to have a level script in the starting map teleport you to the right place at the beginning- it should work in theory, but I've never attempted it or heard positively from someone who has.

Bauerklos 12th August 2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay (Post 131831)
The hacky-but-effective solution is to just change the tileset and events of the house in Pallet Town so it looks like and connects to an S.S. Anne room. I'm pretty sure there's a method documented somewhere to control your exact location at the start for FR though, if that's not to your liking.

There's also the solution you seem to be attempting, which is to have a level script in the starting map teleport you to the right place at the beginning- it should work in theory, but I've never attempted it or heard positively from someone who has.

Thanks for answering. I'm going to try and change the tileset like you first suggested. Hopefully all will go well but in the case that it doesn't I'll try to use a level script.

Team Fail 12th August 2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bauerklos (Post 131817)
I'm trying to change it to the S.S. Anne for the start of my hack using SMCA by HackMew, but I'm not sure what "banks" or "levels" mean, and I'm having trouble finding a good tutorial for it.

Allow me.

What it means by those, are how the maps are categorized. It's actually quite easy to find these, all you need is AdvanceMap (I'm not sure if MEH has this or not, I haven't used it any). Open the map you want to change your start location to (Ensure you're loading from INI), and look at its listing in the side panel. Note that there will be a number beside it (In the format X.X or X.XX). Such an example is this:

Vermillion City (3.5)

The first number (3 in this example) is the bank, and the second number, after the decimal (5 in this example) is the level. Put those into SMCA as required, and add your XY co-ords if necessary.

Bauerklos 12th August 2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Team Fail (Post 131844)
Allow me.

What it means by those, are how the maps are categorized. It's actually quite easy to find these, all you need is AdvanceMap (I'm not sure if MEH has this or not, I haven't used it any). Open the map you want to change your start location to (Ensure you're loading from INI), and look at its listing in the side panel. Note that there will be a number beside it (In the format X.X or X.XX). Such an example is this:

Vermillion City (3.5)

The first number (3 in this example) is the bank, and the second number, after the decimal (5 in this example) is the level. Put those into SMCA as required, and add your XY co-ords if necessary.

Thank you, it worked the first time. :)

Syrex 25th October 2015 06:49 PM

How do you adjust the Y Coord?
There isn't an option for one :/