View Single Post
Old 28th April 2015, 08:55 PM   #56
Slawter
n00b

Slawter

Here's the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawter666 View Post
Now this has probably posted before but I couldn't find it and it seems like a fun feature: Riding pokémon like in the upcoming games.

I'm not too well versed with programming but my idea is as follows:

My idea would be to have a bit for each pokémon that determines whether it is "ridable" or not. On the menu where you can view the pokémon's stats, held item etc there would be a check for this bit and if it is the value that means its ridable a ride option would appear, if not it wouldn't. Once selected the appropriate overworld would be loaded determined by something unique to each pokemon (id number?) and all would be great. Obviously going through this step everytime you want to ride a pokémon would be tedious so this feature could replace the bike. The last pokemon you rode could be stored somehow so when you press select the game would look to see if that pokémon was in your party and if not it would just load the regular bike sprite.

There would need to be a lot of custom overworlds made but the HGSS pokemon overworlds could be used for now.

As I said previously I'm not familiar with coding so various details could be wrong/far more complicated than I made out.

Something similar could be done with surf I guess.

Has anyone considered/attempted this before? I do think it would make a very interesting feature.
Quote:
Is it possible for an overworld to use two palettes? I've been thinking about the idea of hacking the bike routine for ridable pokemon (Page 16 of this thread) and the pokemon and hero would need seperate palettes for the sprite to look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Without significant hacking of the game, no. The GBA is technically able to support such a sprite, but you would need to have intimate knowledge of the OAM system and how the palettes can be used in such a manner.

Basically, no, you can't do it.
Quote:
What classifies as an OAM-palette? Because if it's just overworlds it would be easy enough to make it so each map only has a maximum of 14 overworlds with different palettes (leaving one for the player and one for the bike-pokemon).

EDIT: A workaround could be when the bike is selected create an overworld of the pokemon on the same spot that mimics the players movements. From the players point of view this would be exactly the same as if it is one object.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
You're not getting it, sadly. While it IS possible to do, and in fact should be fairly simple from a coding standpoint, it's not something that can feasibly achieved as a hack to an existing game.

The GBA renders objects on a per object basis. Meaning that data for one object can be interpreted differently to another. You could feasibly store the bike sprite as an 8bpp image and then tell the GBA (using the OAM data) to interpret it as such, while leaving all other images in their native 4bpp format and having no ill effects.

The trick to this is that doing so as a hack is a lot harder than you would initially think, especially as you'd have to do it as a hook into the existing sprite object code for the bike.

I wasn't ever saying it wasn't physically possible, simply trying to get it across to you that it's not really feasible as a hack within the Game Freak developed system, since that system relies on the sprites being in 4bpp format.
Slawter is offline   Reply With Quote