PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 11th October 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda
Default Why do people mostly hack Fire Red, Ruby, Red and Gold?

I have a lot of questions as to what motivates a hackers actions but this question has puzzeled me for some time now. Why people don't usually hack Leaf Green, Sapphire, Blue or Silver... I've noticed that when you refer to there games and say them then the ones hacked most are the ones first in the list. RSE, FR LG, GSC, RBY.. Still seems odd. Why do people say them in that order anyway? Perhaps it has something to do with the release date of them.. Who knows.

Maybe you know or have an opinion?

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11th October 2012, 05:09 PM   #2
BlackNekos
Nekos' Adventures in Kalos~
Ex-Staff

BlackNekos

Fire Red - Rom is easier to find
Ruby - Rom is easier to find... and they like Groudon?
Red - Who knows
Gold - Because it had better sprites than Silver in my opinion.

Spoiler:

Have you seen the adorable?
BlackNekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Clacla
like, ever.
Ex-Staff

Clacla

I also wonder this. Pokemon Emerald would make a much better base in my opinion, but there isn't as much research/support.
Old 12th October 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Rengar
n00b

Rengar is on a distinguished road

Well, I am familiar with the catastrophic results of hacking an emerald ROM... laz should know this as well. xD People hacking those certain ROMs could be because the tools aren't perfectly designed to hack others? That's the only explanation I can give to this phenomenon. That being said, I hack Fire Red because I like Charizoirds!
Rengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

I hack Pokemon Emerald, I've bypassed most of it's known problems and it's actually not bad. I've also wondered why everyone seems to hack the 'warmer' colors, but I'd say it's all in how much support there is for them. I've always liked the colder color games but since there is hardly support for those ones it's pretty disappointing, really. At least Emerald has the better support out of the less hacked games.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 8th December 2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: annoying grammatical error
Sky0fBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2012, 12:57 AM   #6
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

I think it's mostly due to documentation issues. People aren't all willing to experiment and find things on their own.

I've attempted to hack Crystal and it's just not as viable as hacking Gold due to the sheer difficulty of it.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 07:24 PM   #7
3dd13
Remixer/DS Music Hacker

3dd13

the order of the names was actually used before hacking. e.g rse. when ruby and sapphire were released, they were advertised in that order. the commercials stated pokemon ruby and sapphire. then emerald came after and the extra E was added to r/s. take pokemon pinball ruby and sapphire. the title lists them in that order. it is more of a psychological ordering deal where our minds categorize information based on what we see and hear.
3dd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 29th October 2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

For the longest time, I hacked Silver because it was the one I had growing up (I got Silver, my brother got Gold and we traded etc). It was only relatively recently that I switched from Silver to Gold, and that was mainly just because I got tired of having to look up the relevant offset differences between Silver and Gold. As evidence:

Pokémon Legends (Silver Hack) One of my first hacks worth talking about. canceled, evolved into-
Pokémon Sterling Silver (Silver Hack) somewhere between canceled and on-hold
Pokémon Hoenn GBC Or whatever we were gonna call it (Silver Hack) canceled
Pokémon Secrets and Rumours (Silver Hack) ongoing, on-hold
Pokémon Christmas (Gold Hack) ongoing
Pokémon Spirits and Legends (Gold Hack) planning stages

My older Gen I hacks were of Red, though.

Unnamed Red Hack (Red Hack) canceled, was really just random map and text edits and pointless
Pokémon The Next Generation (Red Hack) used Gen II style tileset graphics, changed some towns I think but not a lot.
Advancey Red Version (Red Hack) a graphic update that I abandoned. It was mostly done, but it had some bugs and stuff and I never released it. I think I dtarted this as a side project while working on either SaR or Sterling Silver.
Pokemon Red 151 + Dark and Steel Types (Red Hack) included the type strength table from Gold, all 151 obtainable, Pokemon and Move types updated to Gen II, Mew was the starter, made one day in Dr. Vollrath's class when I was supposed to be watching some crazy movie in another language for Music Appreciation class because a friend asked me to make it.

Sorry if this got a bit off-topic by the end of the post. But yeah, to me it came down to the ones that I played when I was younger. I played Silver because I liked Lugia, and I played Red because I liked Charizard.

EDIT: Typing out that list reminded me that I'm lousy about finishing projects. :/
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

My god the cobwebs and dust floating around in this thread because of how old it is. Oh well, I'll let it slide this time, since this thread still holds plenty of discussion value.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Oh wow, I didn't even read the year, I just saw "October" and assumed it was more recent. Silly me. I should look more closely in the future.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, gold, hack, people, red, ruby