PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 4th November 2013, 11:36 PM   #1
soulryu
Pirate Trainer

soulryu
Default You know what really grinds my Gears! (In Rom Hacking)

So every time I try to help a team or someone else ask me to tile insert some tiles they always ask me to put WesleyFG project Manrian tiles. some time it drives me crazy so i end up quiting the team cause they didn't put enough effort on the project they are making. Noobs

Another would be that when people try creating teams to start a hack they have no real contribution except creating stories or when they try joining a team they post their talents as story making. same when mappers think they are good when they use a non modified ROM to map and make simple maps to show off their talent. I also hate sprite makers when all they do is just recolor sprites and say they are new character. NOOBS

last, is when you try creating a hack and you end up not liking your tiles or their palettes on the game! I get jealous when i see good hacks that are better than mine I think to myself : "WHY CANT MINE BE LIKE THAT!" (Happens to me so many time )

So post what really grinds your gears when it comes to Rom Hacking and what other people do that bother you that comes about to ROM hacking

Last edited by soulryu; 5th November 2013 at 12:27 AM.
soulryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

You know what grinds my gears while ROM Hacking? The fact everytime I try I corrupt the ROM, no matter what I do.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes soulryu liked this post
Old 5th November 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

You know what really grinds my gears? When people ignore a hack simply because it is based on Gen II and there for can't have as detailed graphics as a Gen III+ hack.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Luigi-San, Alex, Linkandzelda, Miksy91 liked this post
Old 5th November 2013, 01:11 AM   #4
soulryu
Pirate Trainer

soulryu

You know what grinds my gears while ROM Hacking? When people put out free tilesets and one small house or a basic tree is like 1000 palettes (ok not really but more than 15)
Likes Linkandzelda liked this post
Old 5th November 2013, 03:38 AM   #5
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

Do you know what grinds my gears? When I start a hack and never finish it

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes soulryu, Mateo liked this post
Old 5th November 2013, 04:23 AM   #6
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka View Post
Do you know what grinds my gears? When I start a hack and never finish it
I would say this too. But boy, my gears would be ground smooth by now

Here's a list of all the actual hacks I've actually finished:

*cricket noises*

*Cricket Noises*

Yep. I get playable demos out, then I go work on another project and may or may not ever get back to it.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 04:51 AM   #7
AntiRellik
Glorified n00b

AntiRellik

You know what really grinds MY gears? Not enough support for Emerald. Nobody cares.
You know what also grinds my gears AND blows my gasket? Good hackers not sharing their knowledge and saying "Nope, sorry, thats private".

That's it. I'll hack Crystal Dust or Liquid Crystal. A hack of a hack. We put a fork in your fork so you can eat while you eat.
I hate that sort of hackers that aren't willing to share a thing. How the hell did you start hacking, huh? With a bunch of other hackers sharing their knowledge TO YOU.
AntiRellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
soulryu
Pirate Trainer

soulryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik View Post
You know what really grinds MY gears? Not enough support for Emerald. Nobody cares.
You know what also grinds my gears AND blows my gasket? Good hackers not sharing their knowledge and saying "Nope, sorry, thats private".

That's it. I'll hack Crystal Dust or Liquid Crystal. A hack of a hack. We put a fork in your fork so you can eat while you eat.
I hate that sort of hackers that aren't willing to share a thing. How the hell did you start hacking, huh? With a bunch of other hackers sharing their knowledge TO YOU.
both creators of Crystal Dust, Liquid Crystal and others do tutorials on hacking they teach you the basic, you have to understand the basic and start applying by playing around to learn also even if you fail like a 50 times keep trying
Quote:
“Failure happens all the time. It happens every day in practice. What makes you better is how you react to it.”
Mia Hamm

also when you fail at something do it differently the next time

Quote:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
Old 6th November 2013, 02:27 AM   #9
AntiRellik
Glorified n00b

AntiRellik

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulryu View Post
both creators of Crystal Dust, Liquid Crystal and others do tutorials on hacking they teach you the basic, you have to understand the basic and start applying by playing around to learn also even if you fail like a 50 times keep trying
Mia Hamm

also when you fail at something do it differently the next time

Albert Einstein
I think you misinterpreted me or I wrote things in the wrong order but I wasn't talking about the creators of Crystal Dust and Liquid Crystal, I've seen these guys post super long tutorials and guides, I was talking in general. Some hackers aren't willing to share anything and I think sharing all kind of stuff with hackers is part of the real fun of it.
AntiRellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Linkandzelda, Mateo liked this post
Old 6th November 2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik View Post
Sorry, but totally untrue. When you have a tool like A-Map (which works perfectly if you just keep track of where to input new data so you won't corrupt the music, and even if you do, getting the music back shouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of an error in programming which couldn't be fixed.), what else do you need?

I've been making a major hack of pokemon silver for over three years and the most useful tools so far have been;
1) Map editor
2) Script editor (scripting in byte-form isn't that convenient...)
3) Hex editor
4) ASM tools (asm editor, debugger)

Tools, such as FSF(!), A-Starter(!), ... and the list goes on an on, wouldn't have to exist. The programmers of those tools surely knew how to work with that data so that they could program a tool which could do that in the place of a hex editor.

So instead of ranting about how most hacking tools are useless, I just wanted to point out that we don't really need them. Emerald and even gen II games(, can't say for gen I since it should have a more proper map editor with event editing abilities) have enough support as it is. You just have to learn to make use of it.

Tags
gears, grinds, hacking, pokemon, rom