PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Homebrew & Coding > Coding Discussion

Coding Discussion Discuss programming and coding and get help here.

Old 19th August 2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Xansus
Gen II Aficionado

Xansus
Default C++ Pointers

Hi could someone explain how pointers work? I cant use it because I cant figure out how they work. Note that Im only self studying c++ just so you guys know.. And I just started. I hope you guys can help me out.
Xansus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 21st August 2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Pointers are great. As opposed to a data type, think of it as something that points to data, hence the name. All pointers (regardless of the base type) are stored as 32 (or 64 on modern computers) bit values which simply represent a memory location at which relevant data can be found.

By casting pointers, you can have them use the correct programme logic for the data at the pointed to location.

Your question is extremely generic though, so I'd like to ask you one back. What exactly do you want to know about pointers?
Old 24th August 2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Xansus
Gen II Aficionado

Xansus

Yeah that seems a bit generic.. Im trying to learn pointers so that I could use it on my upcoming projects and Id like to know how I can make use them.. Id like to know the purpose of pointers.. They all say that pointers are great but I dont know their exact purpose when programming since Ive finished projects and not use them..
Xansus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 04:11 PM   #4
cosarara
Programming and asdf

cosarara

I think you should read a book which explains the topic, but anyway, an example use case:
Say you want your program to create some instances of a class, but the number will depend on the input so you can't just declare them beforehand. You will have to use dynamic memory, using the new keyword.
When you do that, you'll get a pointer to the object in that dynamic memory.

Pointers are used directly a lot more in C than in C++, since pass-by-reference hides one of the most common use cases, but you should understand them anyway (and even more so if you are into ROM hacking!).
cosarara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pointers