PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Other Research

Other Research For research regarding Gen III or other hacks that aren't Gen I/II.

Old 13th September 2014, 06:05 PM   #1
The_Buddha_Wolf
Otaku

The_Buddha_Wolf
Exclamation Rom Hacking & Computer Setup

I am new to rom hacking and I want to get a setup that is perfect for me. I can spend about $4,000 and I want to get the best gear for my money. I can get more money, but I would have to save up more. With my new setup, I want to be able to:

- Make Pokemon GBA & DS Rom Hacks
- Make various Nintendo 64 Rom Hacks
- Make and edit videos (I already have a camera)
- Play various PC games
- Download a lot of music and audiobooks to Itunes
- Have better quality internet connection (Better than a regular laptop)
Old 13th September 2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

Honestly you don't need to spend 4,000$ on a computer. Since you do want to play pc games you're probably looking at 1,000$ to 2,000$ depending what you want. This is assuming you want a laptop as desktops are cheaper.

The laptop at the top of the following link, while a bit expensive, is on sale and might be what you are looking for :http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...&et_rid=755263

Last edited by Gamer2020; 13th September 2014 at 06:47 PM.
Gamer2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 08:23 PM   #3
The_Buddha_Wolf
Otaku

The_Buddha_Wolf

Which is a better choice, building my own computer/having someone (Professionally) build my own computer, or just getting a pre-made computer?
Old 14th September 2014, 02:02 AM   #4
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

Do you know how to build your own computer?
Old 14th September 2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

If you know how to build a computer and you know what to buy, then that'd be the best option. You can build cheaper than you can buy pre-built.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 10:40 PM   #6
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Buddha_Wolf View Post
Which is a better choice, building my own computer/having someone (Professionally) build my own computer, or just getting a pre-made computer?
If you know how to build a PC, or if you have a friend that's willing to help you, building is by far cheaper than getting prebuilt. And the advantage to building your own is that you can get exactly what you want out of it.

Looking at your list, GBA and DS rom hacks aren't as taxing on a CPU compared to other things. Desmume, under the right conditions and setup, can run on a potato because it's advanced so much. Nintendo 64 would also run nicely. However, wanting to play games may require a beefy setup depending on the games you want to run. It's here that you may want to put in the extra money for a good processor, a good graphics card, and plenty of ram. You can essentially future-proof your computer so that you can run a lot of hit games for at least the next few years with few problems. And as for your video editing and whatnot, more ram is good here, because it takes a lot to render videos if you're doing effects and whatnot, but if it's basics, you should be good with 8 or 12GB. If you plan to future-proof your computer, go for 16 and you'll be good for a number of years.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer, hacking, rom, setup