PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Generation I/II Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Have a hack with some good progress? Post it here. Threads require approval.

User Tag List

Old 25th August 2014, 07:23 PM   #161
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

@THAPELO - No, I will not be releasing this as a meboy.jar file. Those contain the entire rom, and as such are against forum rules. If you want it as a meboy.jar file, I'm afraid you will have to patch the file like everyone else, and use MeBoy Builder to make the .jar file.

@ Everyone Else - This *should* be a list of all the other things that I've mentioned elsewhere and forgot to include in this thread.

- There will be (at least) 2 releases. The first release will contain Johto and the Elite Four, the second release (probably closer to actual Christmas) will be the full game and include both Johto and Kanto. While save files from the old 2012 version will not be compatible with the 2014 version, save files between the Johto release and the Full release will be fully compatible, so you will be able to pick up right where you left off when the Full version comes out. The reason for releasing it this way is because given the way I've been working on it, the Johto half of the game is a lot closer to completion than the Kanto half. This way you all can start playing the game earlier, and can give me feedback for the second half of the game. Seems reasonable to me, anyway.
- I have recently been considering changing the way Eevee evolves into Glaceon and Leafeon. In the 2012 version (and currently in the 2014 version) he evolves via the items "Ice Shard" and "Leaf Stone". However, I'm thinking I might change this to involve a Mossy Stone and Icy Stone on the overworld similar to Gen IV. More on this once I've tested it though.
- Snover, Obamasnow, and Rotom will be the 3 Pokémon to replace Mudkip, Marshtomp, and Swampert. Cubchoo and Beartic will likely replace Teddiursa and Ursaring, although I am still undecided on that. Rotom will be found in Kanto in a way that will be in keeping with the Christmas themes, as well as the backstory of the area where you'll find him.
- The Move Deleter and the Name Raters have been moved into the upstairs of every Pokémon Center. There will be various things in their former locations, such as Move Tutors or other things.
- The Shinto Shrine in Ecruteak City is home to a new way you can increase a Pokémon's happiness. So everyone wanting an Espeon or an Umbreon will now have another place to increase happiness in addition to haircuts, tea with Gary's sister, and the other usual ways.
- Mew is no longer a Game Corner prize the way he was in the 2012 version. He will instead be an event Pokémon like normal legendaries. He will be found in Johto, but since you need Rock Climb to reach him, he will not be available until the Full Version is released.
- All of the RBY fossil Pokémon will be available in-game. Omanyte and Kabuto can be obtained through NPC gifts as rewards, Aerodactyl is available by reviving Old Amber at the Pewter Museum.
- There will be several ways to get trade-evolution Pokémon. In addition to trading normally via the Pokémon Centers, they all have new methods of evolution added, and (unless something weird happens to make me change my mind) there will be an NPC who offers to trade-and-trade-back with you to enable evolving these Pokémon that way.

I think that about covers most of the updates I've discussed in the thread over at PokéCommunity, anyway. I'll try to be better about posting updates in more than just that thread in the future.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes CrystalMarina liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 31st August 2014, 06:26 PM   #162
EmeraldJirachi
Wisher

EmeraldJirachi

Looks amazing cant wait to play it when its released
EmeraldJirachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 11th September 2014, 12:11 AM   #163
Taconinja
Getting there...

Taconinja

No download? Hasn't this hack been out for a few years?
Taconinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2014, 01:01 AM   #164
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

The old 2012 version has been, yeah. But it is really outdated at this point so I didn't add the download to this thread and I'm waiting until the 2014 release. If you reeeeally want to play the outdated 2012 version you can find the patch on PokeCommunity though.

Old 18th October 2014, 10:08 PM   #165
CrystalMarina
Best in Johto

CrystalMarina

How did this end up all the way on page 3?! D:

But for real, how are things going with the hack? I know you mentioned on PC that you were planning to work on it this weekend so curious how things are going
Old 31st October 2014, 01:18 AM   #166
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Sorry, I keep slacking on updating this thread for some reason. Let's see, what all have I done since I updated here...

- The list of TMs should be final now. It ended up being mostly the same as Gold, with a few changes.
- TM08 teaches Flame Ball instead of Rock Smash. I was lazy and replaced Rock Smash with this new move that you use to melt Ice Blocks (this has been in since 2012 though).
- TM09 teaches Rock Climb instead of Psych Up. Despite it being a TM, you will still need the Earth Badge to be able to use it outside of battle.
- TM40 teaches Draco Meteor. It will be a rare TM obtained later in the game (only one TM available). It can be learned by Dratini, Dragonaire, Dragonite, Kingdra, Charizard, and Gyarados. Only Dratini's family will be able to learn the move as an Egg Move. (No breeding it onto Charmanders, Horseas, or heaven forbid, a Magikarp).
- Venusaur is now able to learn Sludge Bomb via TM.
- Feraligatr is now able to learn Crunch by level.
- Snover, Obamasnow, and Rotom are fully inserted now. I finished fixing their TM/HM data and Pokedex data.
- Fixed a bug in the Fly map that made your sprite look glitchy when flying as the girl. I finally realized that the problem was a check that I forgot to fix from RED's original gender select routine he sent me. (He originally stored gender in a different RAM address than I did, but I changed it because the one he used wasn't saved and caused you to revert to Male every time you saved and continued).
- Changed a text string in Falkner's Gym (Birdkeeper no longer says "Cool story, bro").
- Fixed all errors in Ruins of Alph, including: Collision data errors, broken encounter rate for wild Pokémon, and faulty movement data causing an NPC to walk on trees and walls when taking you to the lab to upgrade your Pokedex.
- Altered text on Route 33, so the Hiker can't be misconstrued as calling you one gender or the other.
- Altered some text in Azalea Town.
- Replaced a Rocket Grunt in Delibird Cave with a Rocket Admin, since it was odd for a Grunt to be in charge of anything.
- A bunch of move descriptions were accidentally broken, but I fixed them all and made sure the new moves have accurate descriptions.
- Changed more NPC text in and around Azalea Town.
- Fixed it so Kris uses the "Beauty" theme instead of the more sinister-sounding "Rival" theme before battles.
- Looked into removing the "Giovanni, can you hear us? We did it!" radio broadcast without screwng up the rest of the "Rockets took over the Battle Tower" event, but haven't gotten it all checked out yet. I'll come back to this later.
- Fixed a flight location or two that was off.
- Removed the guy who gave Headbutt from Ilex, made you receive it in Goldenrod instead (But you can get it waaaay earlier than Goldenrod if you catch a Zigzagoon because he learns it naturally).
- Considered (but haven't finalized) some revisions to the items you can find with PICKUP.
- Put BRIGHTPOWDER as an item you can find in Ilex Forest.
- Tweaked a few trainers' teams.

I've also been modifying Chamber's code for "Generic Move Tutors" so that I can make specific ones. They will work the same way, but instead of a tutor that can teach the move to basically every Pokemon, these will only be able to teach it to specific Pokemon instead. Need to finish testing the code to make sure everything works right.

And here is the list of items you can find with PICKUP currently, but I'm planning to change it a bit. I'm planning to add Heart Scale to the list in a rare position, remove Ice Shard, and stuff like that. More on that later though. Anyway, here is the list:
Spoiler:
Oran Berry
Oran Berry
Potion
Potion
Potion
Great Ball
Great Ball
Full Restore
Full Restore
Full Heal
Full Heal
Nugget
Nugget
Revive
Revive
Rare Candy
Rare Candy
Ice Shard
Ice Shard
Calcium
Carbos
Iron
Protein
HP Up
PP Up
King's Rock

Old 31st October 2014, 04:52 AM   #167
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

This is looking good bro! Keep it up! I'm hoping to play this during Christmas break!
Old 5th November 2014, 02:19 AM   #168
Braixen
FireFox FTW!

Braixen

Nice work so far! I really like the screenshots. Hopes this gets finished in time for Christmas
Braixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 5th November 2014, 02:31 AM   #169
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Thanks @Gamer2020 and @Fennekin !

In an effort to try and stay on top of updating this thread too, let's see... I haven't done as much the last couple of days (I got distracted, tried to start working on Pokémon Spirits and Legends, and then was like "No! Stop! Work on Christmas!") But anyway...

- Added some brand-new trainers to Ilex Forest.
- Added a Move Tutor in Ilex Forest, who teaches Megahorn to Pokémon that can learn it by level-up in the newer gens. This costs 1 Heart Scale per use.
- Added Heart Scale to the list of items that can be found by Zigzagoon with Pickup (but they are rare).
- Altered some NPC text in the Gate House between Ilex and Route 34
- Played around with trainers on Route 34 so they aren't exactly the same as Gold.
- Changed the prizes in Goldenrod's Game Corner (Mew is no longer included the way she was in 2012)
- Started working on the code for my single-player Mystery Gift clone (since to my knowledge, no emulator bothered to emulate the IR port on the GBC, making actual Mystery Gift useless).

That's my current progress report, I'll try to keep you guys posted as more comes up. Hoping I will have this release ready for the holidays. I doubt it will be the full game, but Johto + Elite Four should be ready by or before then. (And when the time comes, I'll make sure the Full Version is fully compatible with your save file from the Johto + Elite Four release).

Old 9th November 2014, 07:35 PM   #170
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

I've been trying to make some progress this weekend to make up for slacking the last few days lol. Not done working on it for the night, but here is my current progress report since last time:

- Changed Game Corner prizes to no longer include Mew. They are now Eevee, Dratini, and Porygon.
- Made the girl in Goldenord Dept. Store emulate Mystery Gift.
- Replaced the original Name Rater with a guy who gives you the TM for Headbutt.
- Fixed a bug that had somehow shown up making the haircut brothers change the colours of the floor and stuff (weird, but fixed now anyway).
- Changed a few NPCs text in various places around town.
- Altered some NPC text in the Global Terminal and Dept. Store.
- Fixed Dept Store basement to use the right pallet.
- Fixed a bug with the sign for the Water Dojo (I accidentally used "jumptextfaceplayer" instead of "jumptext" on the sign, causing whichever NPC you last talked with to face you when you read the sign. lol).
- Altered some NPC text in the Water Dojo.
- Various minor NPC changes in National Park.
- Fixed bugged encounter rates for Burned Tower.
- Changed a trainer in Burned Tower that used to be a silly gimmicky Firebreather to be a Burglar who behaves normally.
- Fixed a warp in Ecruteak's Pokemon Center that took you outside when it was supposed to take you upstairs.

I think that's about it for this update, but I'll do more tonight and tomorrow as well and have more to post soon.

And here is a little preview video:

Likes Zoe Ayamoto liked this post

Tags
2014, christmas, johto, legacy, pokemon, released, version, [GB/GBC]