PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation

Guides & Documentation Learn how to make your own Pokémon game through the process of ROM Hacking, or help out the community by sharing your information.

Old 11th June 2010, 02:18 AM   #1
BlueUmbreon
Getting there...

BlueUmbreon is on a distinguished road
Default Tile Inserting - The Easy Way

BASIC INSERTING

Okay, so here's how to do it the easy way, not many people know how to insert tiles, and I won't lie, it takes time. Just follow the tutorial, and start simple. I used Emerald

What You'll Need
Advanced Map (A-Map)
MS Paint

1. Open A-Map.

2. Open the map with the tileset you want to change

3. Click on Block Editor (the puzzle shaped piece)

4. Now, find the palette with your tiles colors, or the colors you want to change it to. I'm inserting a tree stump, so I'll choose brown (Palette 3)
Spoiler:

5. Now go Picture>Save Tileset 2 (or 1 if you're editing the default tileset)
Save it as a *.dib

6. Open your tileset and tile you want to insert in paint.

7. Copy and Paste your tile onto the tileset, and find another tile to overwrite/delete. (I am replacing the rock)
Spoiler:

8. Now comes the trickiest bit. Use the eyedropper tool to find the colors that are similar to those on the original tile. The black bit becomes seethrough. Continue this until your tile is completely recolored.
Spoiler:
THE ERASER TRICK
This trick can be useful when recoloring large portions of a sprite, and although some prefer to do it manually, it's a neat time saver.
On MS Paint, in the the TOP LEFT corner, there are two little boxes that show the colors you have selected, one on the left and another on the right. To do the "eraser trick", you need to decide on two colors.
The FIRST color is the one you want to replace. The SECOND color is the new color that you want to put in the place of the first color you have selected. When your colors are selected, your simply hold down the right mouse button, and sweep the cursor over the color you want to replace.
NOTES:
Using this is not a precise method, since it will replace only a single color at a time.
I recommend using it only if you are replacing with colors that are already in use in the tileset, since doing otherwise can result in the changing of the wrong colors.

Here is my finished result; (note how I changed it to the colors that were already in use in the tileset. Remember, there may not be enough/too many shades in the tileset compared to your tile, so sometimes you may have to do some manual editing!)
Spoiler:

9. Save your tileset.

10. Close paint, and go to A-Map. Click pictures>load tileset 2 (again 1 if you're editing the default tileset) and choose the tileset you saved.

11. The tileset will change. Finally, click Pictures>Load New Blocks, and the tile will appear on the tileset on the left.
Spoiler:

12. Go and test it out!
Spoiler:

13. If it doesn't work, appears see through, or your tile is off-color, go back to your tileset in paint, and check to make sure you did step 8 correctly. If it does, congrats, you've just inserted a tile!!! ROFL

Thanks. If anyone needs help / tips, PM me!

ADVANCED INSERTING
Okay, so here's how it's done. By Advanced, I mean inserting large objects (trees, building etc.). I made this tut after I got a few requests, so here we go;

What you'll Need
Advanced Map (A-Map)
MS Paint
A Tileset (with divided squares, so you know the size of each tile) Like this;

1. Open A- Map,
2. As before, open the map with the tileset you want to edit.
3. Click on the block editor (puzzle shaped button)

4. Same as last time, find the palette with the colors most similar to that of the tile you want to insert. This tutorial will be covering a tree, so I chose Palette 2.
Spoiler:

5. Next, go to Picture>Save Tileset 1

6. Now, like in the basic tutorial, open up your tile and copy and paste it onto your tileset.

7. Since we are inserting more than one tile , (this tree is made up of multiple tiles -->
we're going to do the tree section by section. I'll start with the top right corner.
Spoiler:

8. As in the basic tutorial, use the eyedropper tool to find the colors most similar to those of your tile. I presume
everyone knows how to do this from the basic tutorial. Check to make sure it's fully recolored.

9. Here is my finished tree (after recoloring);
Spoiler:

10. Now, simply repeat steps 9-13 from the basic part of the tutorial.

11. A quick screenie showing what we've covered so far in Tile Inserting, including the tree stump and the new tree;
Spoiler:

The Block Editor
The block editor is a very useful tool - it allows you to make multiple blocks without having to insert each one separately in your tileset. The block editor is accessed via the purple puzzle button we used earlier.
I'll give an example of hows it's used: (Sorry no pics at the moment)

1. Let's take the tree stump from earlier as an example. Once you have it inserted, open your block editor.
2. On the left, you'll see the current tileset you have open in A-Map. On the right, you'll see the tileset in it's original form.
3. Click on the block you want to edit. Let's say I want to put my tree stump in up against a wall.
4. Up near the top, you'll see a little box with "up/down" written above it. The part on the right is above, and the part on the left is below. Simple stuff.
5. So click on the wall on your tileset on the RIGHT. The wall should appear in the "up/down" section. (Note: if your wall is in the "up" section, where we want it, you can right click it to select the blocks and move it over.)
6. Next, go to the tileset you inserted your stump into (brown or maybe green.) Click the button that says "tileset 1" or whatever, and pick the tileset where your block has the right colors.
7. Then, just select it with the right click button and put it onto the "up" part of your block. You're done! You should now have two parts of your tileset overlapping each other in your map, giving the appearance that they are the same block.
(Note: See those black blocks on the left? You can click on them and make a new block, instead of editing an existing one.)

TIPS

THE ERASER TRICK
This trick can be useful when recoloring large portions of a sprite, and although some prefer to do it manually, it's a neat time saver.
On MS Paint, in the the TOP LEFT corner, there are two little boxes that show the colors you have selected, one on the left and another on the right. To do the "eraser trick", you need to decide on two colors.
The FIRST color is the one you want to replace. The SECOND color is the new color that you want to put in the place of the first color you have selected. When your colors are selected, your simply hold down the right mouse button, and sweep the cursor over the color you want to replace.
NOTES:
Using this is not a precise method, since it will replace only a single color at a time.
I recommend using it only if you are replacing with colors that are already in use in the tileset, since doing otherwise can result in the changing of the wrong colors.

-Always remember to go back and check the colors on the tileset if an insertion goes wrong - it usually takes trial and error.

-It IS NOT a good idea to just plop a tree down anywhere on the tileset, and leave it there. You may be over-writing other tiles, or your tiles might be off-centre when you load the tileset into A-Map.

-Start off simple. Don't go trying to replace whole buildings if you're a rookie (everyone is a rookie at some point, so take your time). Try something simpler, like a rock, or a mailbox. Then, when you've really got the hang of it, move on to a tree etc.

-Use a practice ROM. These are handy for replacing random objects, or for trying new color combos etc. Who knows? Maybe you'll accidentally end up with an awesome ROM Base?

-Finally, practice makes perfect! I'm certainly no master-tile inserter, but I had enough experience to make this tutorial from messin' around with the tilesets on A-Map.
Anyone with any questions or anyone who needs help, PM me.
BlueUmbreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11th June 2010, 03:08 AM   #2
zZJoennZz
desudesudesudeathdesu

zZJoennZz

Nice tutorial! It's help with the newbies like me XD..

...mehehehe
zZJoennZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Pike Queen Lucy
n00b

Pike Queen Lucy is on a distinguished road

Think you could cover how to insert trees in R/S/E? I've always had difficulty with it.. Also, very nice and detailed tutorial!
Pike Queen Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 09:34 PM   #4
BlueUmbreon
Getting there...

There you go! ROFL
Old 11th June 2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Pike Queen Lucy
n00b

Pike Queen Lucy is on a distinguished road

Holy smokes! That was fast! Thank you so much! Now I can finally edit tiles in R/S/E ^^
Pike Queen Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
BlueUmbreon
Getting there...

It's no problem making or adding onto a tutorial. I will be making more sometime soon, but there may be a period of absence because I'm traveling for a while etc.
No worries!!
Old 12th June 2010, 01:27 PM   #7
zZJoennZz
desudesudesudeathdesu

zZJoennZz

You should make a tutorial on how to change the pallete to help the people out there on how to change the palletes if there want to make a map look like in D/P/PT..

...mehehehe
Old 12th June 2010, 02:54 PM   #8
BlueUmbreon
Getting there...

Not a bad idea. Glad to take requests! :P
Old 12th June 2010, 03:05 PM   #9
zZJoennZz
desudesudesudeathdesu

zZJoennZz

... I can't do the palletes.. I'm horrible with that..

...mehehehe
Old 12th June 2010, 03:28 PM   #10
Scytha
n00b

Scytha is on a distinguished road
Default FireRed?

Oh..I'm only a novice tile inserter, but I've tried many times to perfect, or even get the tree complete in FireRed.I pretty sure you can't but I was wondering, can you just erase the entire jumble of tree parts and pastte a hole tree in? Could you show how to do it in FireRed?
Scytha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easy, inserting, tile, [Tutorial]