PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > News & Updates

Notices

News & Updates This is the place to get the latest news and updates about PHO.

Old 14th August 2013, 07:39 PM   #41
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Droomph, you left out the Megadrive. Under the Nintendo handhelds it's the most common platform for hacking.
Well they're all there, they're just under "Others".
Old 4th September 2013, 06:52 AM   #42
Verzerrung
Neophyte
PHO VIP

Verzerrung
Content removed.

Last edited by Verzerrung; 14th September 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Verzerrung is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 11th September 2013, 03:14 PM   #43
Green Charizard
PHO Founder
FounderPHO VIP

Green Charizard

Hello there! In the many years that I ran PHO I learnt a few things, some of which may be useful when shaping the community.

I'll admit, I haven't been keeping tabs on the place. I have little idea whats going on these days. But my points and experience might be food for thought all the same.

1 - You've got to have something that sells your community over others. Why come to a smaller site when you can be part of somewhere else? You can only use the small and homely rhetoric to sell the community so far. When it grows it makes this claim obsolete. Work on what you can sell. Which leads me on to...

2 - Lead by example. Play to the skills of the staff. What the staff know, make forums about. These will then grow organically as knowledge disseminates to your members, or likeminded people are attracted. Never try and be something you're not. I remember in the PHO days, we tried to have an RM2K forum, we knew nothing on it and it failed drastically. Similarly when we tried to go generic and call ourselves "The Pokémon Board", it was too generic, we couldn't cater to all the niches. Leading me to...

3 - Cater to the community. If you've got a bunch of Pokémon hackers out there, don't lump them all in a GBA forum. Make them happy. Give them a Pokémon sub-forum. This will attract more of them. Be careful of alienating people by changing focus too much.

4 - Forget about your overarching theme to an extent. But importantly, thats not the same as saying, go generic. Likeminded people stick together. As I said, find your communities "thing" and work with it. This is how it will grow best. This forum is different, its an amalgam of many different past communities. Work with what it is. If you work against the community, you can't expect them to stick around. That said, it may attract new people. But only if you sacrifice the old.

5 - Focus on what you have now rather than what you want. Its the development thats important, not the end vision of a thriving community with a million-gazillion members discussing everything. Theres nothing wrong with having a vision, just don't enact it prematurely. Work with whats here already.

5 - The best staff are the ones who enjoy the forum the most. They're not paid, so those who serve you best will be the ones who love it the most.

6 - "Why is this forum so quiet" threads work to reinforce that fact, not to solve it. It advertises to visitors that the forum is small and stems member and activity growth.

Its lovely to see an iteration of this community still around!
All the best,
Joe
Green Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 04:03 AM   #44
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortion View Post
I see no reason to try and support a community who has no intention to better themselves as a whole. You are all terrible. You guys need to face the facts and acknowledge you do not care for this community. It is one thing to state something, but where is the proof and the initiative to make the transformation. Pitiful.
1) School

2) I (aka one of the only people who really cares about this place) can't do anything about it.
Old 12th September 2013, 08:14 PM   #45
Verzerrung
Neophyte
PHO VIP

Verzerrung
Content removed.

Last edited by Verzerrung; 14th September 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12th September 2013, 11:51 PM   #46
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
School is no excuse when you have staff who sits online and allows for a thread reply to go without a response for a week. If they had real interest to better the community then they can take a few minutes to reply. After all, is this not the whole purpose of this thread? Yes, you are right, the only people who would like to do something can not.

No one throw the fact of school back at me because there are other threads being responded to so you apparently have time. It just confuses me as to why you would let suggestions go by for a week because this is what you asked for of your members.
Well, I'm personally all up for changing stuff, but I can't do anything as a staff member (only styles) so I'm kinda stuck on this.

If I were LaZ I would def get back on board but he won't even reply to my "hey I would like to help more" messages on Skype.
Old 13th September 2013, 03:55 AM   #47
Verzerrung
Neophyte
PHO VIP

Verzerrung

Content removed.

Last edited by Verzerrung; 13th September 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 13th September 2013, 04:03 AM   #48
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
No offense, but I am wasting my time even logging on here because nothing will change. It may of had its golden days, but that is over. Honestly, these replies will just sit here and if they do get responded to I still would not expect any actual changes to take place. It is kind of like you just know a community and RHO has always been like that. It is sad, but the ones with power choose to take no action. I am surprised everyone has not just left. Then again they all expect it to be restored to its former glory and that is not going to happen. Just being honest.
That is exactly why I am trying to change.

Pia said that "he would change this place" but he hasn't changed anything so far.

I want to get changing, but you are right, nothing is getting done! I want to take the reins for a while. What's the loss? If I succeed, great. If I don't…well, isn't this place done for anyways? Let someone else try, guys.
Old 13th September 2013, 04:10 AM   #49
Verzerrung
Neophyte
PHO VIP

Verzerrung

Content removed.

Last edited by Verzerrung; 13th September 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 13th September 2013, 04:34 AM   #50
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
You know I am not here to rant towards anyone. However, I agree there are how many staff members and none are trying to make a actual change in the community. You are right, this place is dead. I question myself for coming here expecting anything while they just sit around. Sure they manage the server and ACP and other things, but that is not hard. I am just do not understand why they ask for feedback and do nothing. Should they not know that they are only being looked at bad way and only making it worse by promising to try and actually make a change. To try, which it seems they are not even doing that.
To make it worse, there's a "bureaucracy" even though half of the people it must go through can only be contacted once a day, and even then, not every day.

I am trying to get that done away with, if nobody else is.

Tags
community