PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive > Questions & Answers

Notices

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 1st December 2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Daru
FREE DARU
Ex-Staff

Daru
Default Beginner Questions

And by beginner, I mean a very new, "fresh out of the box" beginner. I have been learning a couple programming languages lately (JavaScript and some Python), and I recently started to want to make my own ROM. Given that I used to mod this forum and knew that it had a lot of people to help, I decided to look around to find some beginning guides. Sadly, they were too advanced for even to me. I didn't understand the jargon nor did I see a certain tool(s) to use while editing a ROM. TeamFail had mentioned something about editing with a C# tool, so do I need to learn that? I'm sure I can do a quick Google search on learning C#, but if anyone knows any really good guides to start off with, PM me.

Here is my question:

I would like to make an Emerald hack (well, just base it off of Emerald's stuff). How do I start to learn to make my own ROM? Do I need to learn a certain language? I know basics of JS (okay, maybe a teeny more than basics), but if I need to learn another language I can. I would, however, like to see how to start editing the game.

Sidenote: I looked around the forums for some very basic questions like this, and I didn't find any. Either I am bad at searching or there is something I missed. Regardless, I am very eager to start to make a game.

Cheers!

(Also, if this is in the wrong forum, please move this post to the right one if possible. I did my best and I am fairly sure this is the right forum to ask, since this is a question and is bigger than a simple question [at least, to me it is!])

I mod the Smogon Forums. If you have any questions, you can VM me!
Daru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 1st December 2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Well if you wanted to make your own GBA ROM, you would need some kind of assembly program for the language you'd want to use, which would parse that language into usable assembly code.

I think @Jambo51 would be more knowledgeable about the finer points of the process, since he's working on a homebrew GBA engine.

If you don't want to make an actual hack you'd be better off with the RPG Maker engines since those have complete Pokemon fangame kits to work with, albeit with annoying limitations such as windows only.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 2nd December 2014, 04:52 AM   #3
Daru
FREE DARU
Ex-Staff

Daru

@Pia Carrot, I'm a bit confused on what the difference between making games is in your post. I would definitely like to make my own ROM. I thought that you would take stuff from the game (in this case, Emerald), and then changes stuff around? Of course I understand that would be a bit tedious, so maybe there was another way. Idk. I am super new!!

Also, I have no problem with Windows-only stuff. I mainly use Linux but I can get my Windows machine running.

Old 2nd December 2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Gamer2020
Junior Trainer
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

Ok which one of the following are you trying to do?

1- Take Pokemon Emerald and modify it to create your own game.

2- Make your own Pokemon game from scratch and have compile to a .gba file.

3- Other. Please elaborate.
Old 2nd December 2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Daru
FREE DARU
Ex-Staff

Daru

Hi @Gamer2020. Thanks for replying.

I believe it is a mix of the first two. I am not interesting in creating any new skins or tiles or whatnot, but just taking the already made textures from Emerald and making a game from them.

Old 2nd December 2014, 04:33 PM   #6
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

@Daru, if that is the case you are best off ROM Hacking Pokemon Emerald version. I suggest you download the toolpack and play around with an emerald rom until you get the hang of it:

http://pokemonhackersonline.com/show...-Map-tons-more
Likes Daru liked this post
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:13 PM   #7
Daru
FREE DARU
Ex-Staff

Daru

Thanks, @Pia Carrot. n_n Is it okay to use this thread again for other questions I might have as I edit the game? Or do you recommend me using the SQSA thread?

Old 3rd December 2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Up to you, honestly.

Tags
beginner, questions