PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Other Research

Other Research For research regarding Gen III or other hacks that aren't Gen I/II.

View Poll Results: What should I cover Next? [READ POST FIRST]
Diffuculty 0 0%
Fakemon VS Pokemon Games! 1 50.00%
Working Alone or With Team 1 50.00%
Other [Post Reply 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2014, 09:24 PM   #1
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Lightbulb Research into Pokemon Hacking Communites

So I ticked tocked into this a bit and I realized that I and you may have noticed but may have never really thought too deep about.
My discovers are very based on what I seen on PKMN Rom Hacks Rededit, Here and PokeCommunity. I would ♥ to hear everyone's thoughts.
———————————————————————

Thoughts #1 Base

Mostly hacked rom is FireRed I think because of how good graphics it has and its easy to hack type feel. I understand why people choose this a little.

Least hacked is Emerald and even thou I love it, the graphics are lower par compared to FireRed. Its harder to hack but provides much more features. I understand why people don't hack this.

I feel like it could be intimadating trying to hack RSE at first but its a better start because switching from RSE to FRLG is easy, FRLG to RSE means you have get more info in scripting and tools because A. Some Tools are game specific and have diffrent instructions for RSE like UnZL and B. Scripting numbers differs believe me.

So try Emerald once in a while that game is so Under-Rated and could bring you some more things on the table.
————————————————————————

Thoughts #2 Intrest in your Game

What 65% People want are good graphics for some reason over the 25% who want Gameplay. The Remaining 10% want Story. Now think of this..

You are a developing a game on a low budget you have an old computer and great ambition. You post a thread on PokeCommunity/Or Somehere Else. Your story was loved by friends and you are proud of that. And the first comment recieved is

"I think you should change the graphics it looks kinda not good"
This is what I notice on games with potential.
I think that people fucking enjoy graphics too much, and to appeal to those guys you need them.
I say ask a fellow guy on the forum for help, as we are a community try to learn by asking someone like SoulRyu. He helped me and I think somebody you might have seen could help too.

Anyways enough of a rant. Good Graphics make a good game, but don't think us 30% will pass you off.
————————————————————————————
Thoughts #3: Vilans and Heroes

Too often do I see the story of kid leaves town and beats 12 good pokemon trainers and destroys evil gang. Here is a thought don't think of a generic idea think creative.

Here's a Idea (Use if you want)..

1. You the player are the son of a reknown trainer, you are seen as a threat to the local group of criminals so they take you and your father and bring you two to there bases. When they leave out the room you awake and find a Eevee next to you. You tell it to not worry and it will be safe with you. You guys leave the room and escape [Somehow IDK just someway] . By beating all 8 Admins and then take'em them down you will fight the 4 Elites and finally the Leader who has has our father. You can grow a team along the way and meet people too on the Hero's Journey.
Would'nt that be a fantastic game!! This is why I'm changing my game around to be unique and you should too but don't go too far and make it unlike Pokemon too much okay?

I believe that this is enough for now I would love to hear feedback and what I should cover next.

This has been research by BlackAnarchy★™.

Last edited by BlackAnarchy★; 6th February 2014 at 09:27 PM.
BlackAnarchy★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 6th February 2014, 10:16 PM   #2
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Well I'd say that most people who play pokemon hacks are between the age of 10 and 17. Depending on how mature the person is, s/he obviously values different things.

Most young children probably don't care about the game's storyline that much - especially if their native language isn't english (I remember this being my case when I was young). To get them to try out your hack, you need fancy graphics and nothing more.

Then there are others who aren't kids anymore and value different things. They like playing hacks that offer something new that normal games do not. Gamefreak doesn't make several games for the same engine - instead they come up with something totally new so that they would get people to buy those games.

I have personally been always horrible at arts, so I couldn't make nice-looking graphics for my own hack even if I wanted to. Nevertheless, my hack doesn't need them either. People are giving lots of positive feedback about it and even if the game doesn't look "that cool", people enjoy playing it.

But all in all, you should make the game the way you want it. If you don't want to add new graphics that others suggest you to add, then do not. As a good advice, I'd say that whenever your hack is in need of new graphics (for example, for the look of an area that couldn't be implemented well with the original tiles), having them makes a lot of sense and adds something more to the gameplay.
If the graphics are there just for getting attention, that's fun I guess since you can definitely make more people play your hack if it catches their attention. It won't make the hack better though (maybe a little at first but once you're used to the new graphics, there is really no difference).

Well all that commenting was related to #2.
Old 6th February 2014, 10:38 PM   #3
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91 View Post
Well I'd say that most people who play pokemon hacks are between the age of 10 and 17. Depending on how mature the person is, s/he obviously values different things.

Most young children probably don't care about the game's storyline that much - especially if their native language isn't english (I remember this being my case when I was young). To get them to try out your hack, you need fancy graphics and nothing more.

Then there are others who aren't kids anymore and value different things. They like playing hacks that offer something new that normal games do not. Gamefreak doesn't make several games for the same engine - instead they come up with something totally new so that they would get people to buy those games.

I have personally been always horrible at arts, so I couldn't make nice-looking graphics for my own hack even if I wanted to. Nevertheless, my hack doesn't need them either. People are giving lots of positive feedback about it and even if the game doesn't look "that cool", people enjoy playing it.

But all in all, you should make the game the way you want it. If you don't want to add new graphics that others suggest you to add, then do not. As a good advice, I'd say that whenever your hack is in need of new graphics (for example, for the look of an area that couldn't be implemented well with the original tiles), having them makes a lot of sense and adds something more to the gameplay.
If the graphics are there just for getting attention, that's fun I guess since you can definitely make more people play your hack if it catches their attention. It won't make the hack better though (maybe a little at first but once you're used to the new graphics, there is really no difference).

Well all that commenting was related to #2.
Well I always hated that saying "Kids don't care much about storytelling" when I joined I was 13 and when I was 12 and 11 I loved story in games ever since I first started playing on my PS2 and Gameboy Advance. Anyways when I was talking about graphics I meant to give a point people just like shining fresh things to look at and if someone is capable they should appeal to those people. I for one am only good at Trainer Sprites but I use materials I find [I make sure they're free] and use them in there.
Nobody needs graphics to make a good game and I'll touch on that in the next 3 Thoughts.

And for your final paragraph that's exactly what I believe. Make the hack you're dream for Pokemon. I made this series to give info on some research I did for those who are starting out for those who need that extra help. I want to touch up on the choices you'll have tomake and things that factor whether or not your hack succeds.

Anyone can be successful, just some need help like I did last year once I found this place and saw some people being friendly and giving tips that were helpful and nice I knew I would ♥ this place. I got back into my happy loveable self and started ROM Hacking.

Sorry this is a big read..

BlackAnarchy★ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
base, communites, hacking, pokemon, research, [Other]