PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Other Research

Other Research For research regarding Gen III or other hacks that aren't Gen I/II.

Old 12th April 2016, 08:01 PM   #1
streamholder
n00b

streamholder
Default PyKemon Multitool Project

Hello everyone.

First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm a programmer and I've played Pokémon for years now.

Many years ago, I discovered the world of ROM hacking, but I found myself deeply disoriented by the lack of easy-to-use resources that many other games have (think about GTA games or pretty much any mainstream Wii game).

As you all know, there are two main competitors in the Map hacking scene at the moment: AdvanceMap and Map Editor of Happiness.

They both have their problems: on AM's side, LU-HO has disappeared, which means that AdvanceMap is not going to receive the much needed updates/bugfixes anymore; on MEH's side, it hasn't got that much functionality and the source code is a mess, with unused code shoved in classes, horrible hacks, methods with absurd names and is thus not maintainable by anyone else than the original authors (and I bet that even they would have serious problems by now), and seems to have been abandoned.

The thing is, the need for these tools is not dead. Not at all. But neither of the two choices cut it anymore. You have to hack around their problems. You have to use various other tools to fix/change stuff that should really be changed in a real map editor.

Today I'd like to present a new project, which I'm codenaming "PyKemon Multitool", just because the proof-of-concept code I have now is written in Python.

The intent of the project is to write a map/script editor with a good UI, in a modern language like Python or C#, with a clean codebase which everyone should be able to dive into without spending hours and hours to try to understand horrible spaghetti code scattered around two repositories with UI logic mixed with data loading and such things.
I want to provide a tool to enable modders to create with a smooth workflow, and I want to provide hackers a way of extending such workflow by providing code which is extensible and reusable.

I wrote in the past few days some code, which successfully loads all the maps from an unmodified Pokémon Emerald ROM.

To all ROM hackers around here, which have experience with the GBA/Pokémon ROM structure, please contact me and join the project! I need all the help I can get to make this work.

Thank you!
streamholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links