PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Notices

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

Old 1st June 2014, 11:04 PM   #1
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot
Default Thoughts on HotM/Y?

What are your thoughts on hosting our own Hack of the Month/Year competitions? This could extend between RHM and PHO.

Spoiler:
[17:39] <Rit-chan> alright, how do you think HotM/Y should be run
[17:40] <Bela> there should be clear rules on who can and cannot enter that are impartial but also not game-able
[17:40] <Bela> it should try to limit conflicts of interest as much as possible
[17:41] <Bela> it should have competent judges that give consideration to what they're reviewing
[17:41] <Bela> it should award as winners hacks which reflect the best of the community
[17:42] <Bela> in real terms, this means
[17:43] <Bela> the hacks of the active members of PHO/RHM would be in the running
[17:43] <Bela> I would split it up between GBC and GBA hacks
[17:44] <Bela> whoever running it should be someone who is not close friends with or incredibly capable of being influenced by anyone participating in the competition
[17:44] <Bela> same goes for the judges
[17:45] <Bela> the idea is to be as objective as possible
[17:46] <Bela> the exact metrics used to determine the winner can be drawn up later
[17:46] <Bela> I think I've made the most relevant points already
[17:46] <Bela> I'm wary of members voting, only because it is so easily to game a system
[17:46] <Bela> -easy
[17:47] <Bela> and I would rather it be a matter of the best hack as determined by judges, rather than the most popular hack
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes daniilS liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Aperso
Yes I am Apple Blind
PHO VIPSuper Moderator

Aperso

Pia, you know as well I as I do that HOTM will not work atm, until you can get activity in a decent stream I don't see it feasible. Hoty on the other hand will work because hacks are getting posted and updated, just not enough for it to work on a monthly or (possibly) bi-monthly basis. Either way I suggest a three month trail run to see how this effects activity and the amount of rom hacks being posted.

Edit: Just saw the part about RHM possibly being included. Personally I don't know how RHM will afffect it seems I don't have my account set to global amount of bots editing data on accounts and whatnot so I don't see the full picture of RHM. but still a 3 month trail run is possibly a good idea IMO.

Last edited by Aperso; 2nd June 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Aperso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:28 AM   #3
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperso View Post
Pia, you know as well I as I do that HOTM will not work atm, until you can get activity in a decent stream I don't see it feasible. Hoty on the other hand will work because hacks are getting posted and updated, just not enough for it to work on a monthly or (possibly) bi-monthly basis. Either way I suggest a three month trail run to see how this effects activity and the amount of rom hacks being posted.

Edit: Just saw the part about RHM possibly being included. Personally I don't know how RHM will afffect it seems I don't have my account set to global amount of bots editing data on accounts and whatnot so I don't see the full picture of RHM. but still a 3 month trail run is possibly a good idea IMO.
I agree with this, tri-monthly would be more successful than monthly.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa, Aperso liked this post
Old 2nd June 2014, 03:19 AM   #4
Dark Sneasel
Anti-Swag

Dark Sneasel

Well, that would be a great idea, but you could make it not every month, but maybe three months, seeing as this site doesn't have too much activity. But other than that, HOTQ and HOTY would be great!
Dark Sneasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Bela liked this post
Old 2nd June 2014, 03:27 AM   #5
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
PHO VIP

Bela

Hello all. Thank you Pia for starting this thread on an issue I find important.

As some may remember from previous hack competitions on Pokecommunity, there is a real problem with the way these events are handled, and it really shows. There is a real sentiment that these hack competitions are not reflections of what is the best in the community. I suspect many here share that feeling.

The competitions at Pokecommunity experience several problems. Judges are often inexperienced in giving unbiased appraisals to hacks. Hack selection for many competitions is arbitrary and at the staff's discretion, as is much of the process itself. These problems are, unfortunately, hard to address at Pokecommunity.

Thankfully, there is another solution. Instead of hoping for positive changes to be made to PC's hack competition process, PHO and RHM can create their own hack competition. This will both raise the bar and give members of the hacking community a fair competition for their hacks.

To make this a success, this competition must be run by people who can give an unbiased appraisal and objectively judge the hacks in the competition.

I'm concerned that the PC hack competitions are skewed in favor of hacks which are the most "popular"--not what is truly the "better" hack. While this may seem to be addressed with a judging process, the judges often are given much free reign to use subjectivity in their decisions--and they are often themselves biased toward whatever is more popular. I want everyone in this community--myself included--to have a fair chance of our hacks winning a competition.

It's easy to deride Pokecommunity's hack competitions as unfair and flawed. It's another matter to actually want to do something about it.

What do you guys think?

@Aperso: You're missing the point if you're thinking about this in terms of forum activity. I understand these forums are not very active, but insisting that something can't work to gain activity because activity is not high is circular reasoning.

Last edited by Bela; 2nd June 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Bela is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aperso, Team Fail liked this post
Old 2nd June 2014, 04:41 AM   #6
Notabot

Notabot

I'd like to see judges being able/forced to give feedback outside of just a number- take a look at the 2013/2012 HOTY decisions on pokecommunity and you can see a wide range of scoring styles from Jagold's subtle abstainment from influencing the competition to my apparently Simon-esque scores. The results would mean a lot more if they weren't decided by judges producing arbitrary numbers in a vacuum.

-Doesnt
Notabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aperso, Bela liked this post
Old 2nd June 2014, 05:53 AM   #7
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey

I thought we stopped trying to be a PC clone

Beat them at their own game and get some attention for it, I like it! Not sure how well it would work monthly but we may as well give it a shot, we don't have anything to lose from it.

Advertising in sigs and the like, yup.
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Weloxux, Bela liked this post
Old 2nd June 2014, 08:14 AM   #8
Aperso
Yes I am Apple Blind
PHO VIPSuper Moderator

Aperso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela View Post

@Aperso: You're missing the point if you're thinking about this in terms of forum activity. I understand these forums are not very active, but insisting that something can't work to gain activity because activity is not high is circular reasoning.
Yes I know what you mean. But I did also suggest to give it a trail run. Just because I have doubts desn't mean I think ig won't work. I'm just going by past expirences.I'm an old fashioned git

Last edited by Aperso; 2nd June 2014 at 08:19 AM.
Aperso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:31 PM   #9
Tcoppy
Crazy Diamond

Tcoppy

I like the idea of having an HOTY for PHO and I completely agree with Doesn't that judges should be required to actually give feedback, and it can also help hackers get a good look on what an HOTY should be like.

I have an idea for a Hack of the _____ instead of Hack of the Month. How about hack of the season. And at each season a winner will be picked and will be up there until another hack wins and so on and so forth.
Old 2nd June 2014, 09:47 PM   #10
Shiny Quagsire
Super Awesome Ninja ASM Guy
PHO VIP

Shiny Quagsire

I think it might be beneficial due to the nature of our hacks being quite a ways better in terms of quality as opposed to all the new hacks coming out of PC. Whether we'll have enough people to vote is a whole different issue though. But yes, I think it would be somewhat nice to see an RHM/PHO HoTY competition.

My Works:

Coming Soon/Working On:
  • Pokemon Amethyst
  • ?Using HMs via Items?
  • Custom GUIs using ASM (and soon) C

Shiny Quagsire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hotm or y, thoughts