PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive > Questions & Answers

Notices

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 7th March 2014, 10:15 AM   #11
Kakarot1212
not that active anymore

Kakarot1212

@Miksy91 the problem is not about the ASM, its just that the shop doesn't sell anything because of the rombase he used, it cleared all scripts etc. So it does not require asm. Its only a matter of scripting. Your making things complicated. lol

@ExitWound just follow my comment earlier, just copy the script of the mart clerk on the clean FR and paste to a new script on your game. Or you can make your own if you know how to.
And heres some tut to start with, In depth Advance Map tutorial and diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

Last edited by Kakarot1212; 7th March 2014 at 10:24 AM.
Kakarot1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 7th March 2014, 10:32 AM   #12
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatioN View Post
@Miksy91 the problem is not about the ASM, its just that the shop doesn't sell anything because of the rombase he used, it cleared all scripts etc. So it does not require asm. Its only a matter of scripting. Your making things complicated. lol
I know what I was talking about
The problem has nothing to do with "asm", nor about scripting though.

But you're right about one thing; the rom base removes the mart data and possibly part of the routine handling it, and if A-Map knows "what to do about it", putting that in use is a good idea. Nevertheless, rom hacking is all about doing something to "educate your brains" while at it - it's not about using programs and pushing buttons and doing "magic things".

And there was nothing complicated about my post either. It would have been almost self-explanotary to you as well if you had taken the time to read it properly.

Last edited by Miksy91; 7th March 2014 at 10:34 AM.
Miksy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 05:27 PM   #13
ExitWound
Neophyte

ExitWound

Let's try not to argue here, guys. We're all friends here, coming up with very reasonable explanations! Looking in the same address in my hack, it's aaalllll free space there. I need to figure out how many bytes in the clean rom is actually the Viridian City shop data... But, how could I do that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatioN View Post
@ExitWound just follow my comment earlier, just copy the script of the mart clerk on the clean FR and paste to a new script on your game. Or you can make your own if you know how to.
And heres some tut to start with, In depth Advance Map tutorial and diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
I know all about scripting, trust me. I can make my own shop script with very little effort. But if we look at the clean rom's Viridian City shop script, we have this command here:
Code:
pokemart 0x816A298
This points to a shop that doesn't exist in the rom base I'm using. This is the problem I'm trying to fix but you're all helping me get closer!

Last edited by ExitWound; 7th March 2014 at 05:34 PM.
ExitWound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 05:45 PM   #14
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

I'll preface this by saying that I know a lot more about Gen II than Gen III, but this seems fairly straight forward to do. As you can see when you look at the original script, the shop data is defined as part of the script.

Code:
#org 0x816A268
'-----------------------------------
lock
faceplayer
compare 0x4057 0x1
if == jump 0x816A2A4 ' Equal To
special INIT_STEPCOUNT
compare LASTRESULT 0x2
if == jump 0x81A7AE0 ' Equal To
message 0x81A6211 ' Hi, there!\nMay I he...
showmsg
pokemart 0x816A298
msgbox 0x81A5190 ' Please come again!
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
     ' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x816A2A4
msgbox 0x81902BF ' Okay, thanks! Please...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
release
     ' Release commands close any open messages
end

#org 0x81A7AE0
release
end

#org 0x81A6211
= Hi, there!\nMay I help you?

#org 0x81A5190
= Please come again!

#org 0x81902BF
= Okay, thanks! Please say hi to\nPROF. OAK for me, too.

#org 0x816A298
item POKEBALL
item POTION
item ANTIDOTE
item PARLYZHEAL
endmart
I used PKSV instead of XSE, sue me

So it doesn't matter that a-mart can't find any shop data, the script is going to create it for you. That's the same as saying "I know how to script, but the starter editor can't find the starter pokemon values". It doesn't matter if that editor can find them or not, you're going to put them in with a script anyway

Also, there is no reason you couldn't just use labels like a normal script and insert that one with the other scripts you've been adding for people instead of using the original offset and sticking it in the middle of all the free space randomly. It would be more organized anyway. You could also put more items in the shop if you wanted to. A-Mart seems a bit pointless to me in all honesty.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 05:57 PM   #15
ExitWound
Neophyte

ExitWound

Well, hell. It seems I missed a part of that script here:
Code:
#org 0x16A298
#raw word 0x4
#raw word 0xD
#raw word 0xE
#raw word 0x12
#raw word 0x0
Now I just feel like an absolute idiot, so thanks :/
But seriously, thanks for the help. I'm going to try it now.
Old 7th March 2014, 06:00 PM   #16
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

Dang, if XSE displays it like that, I can see why you missed it. That's not a very user-friendly format to just immediately recognize. No need to feel like an idiot. Glad you got it figured out, and hopefully it all works out for you

Old 7th March 2014, 06:11 PM   #17
ExitWound
Neophyte

ExitWound

Well, here's the script I made for it:
Code:
#dynamic 0x71B444

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
preparemsg @msg1
waitmsg
pokemart @martdata
msgbox @msg2 0x4
release
end

#org @msg1
= Hi, there!\nMay I help you?

#org @msg2
= Please come again!

#org @martdata
#raw word 0x4
#raw word 0xD
#raw word 0xE
#raw word 0x12
#raw word 0x0
But this has become a completely different problem entirely...
It seems that even before I created the script, I couldn't enter the mart anyway. Because when I do, the screen goes black and I never appear in the mart. What is this about? In AMap, I've tried putting the mart on a different map, but it had the same effect...
Old 7th March 2014, 06:57 PM   #18
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

That is strange. Can't say I've ever run into that problem (using the standard rom, or JPAN's hacked engine + clearing patch) so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the rombase you are using. Have any other maps given you problems like this, or just the Pokemart maps?

Old 7th March 2014, 07:20 PM   #19
ExitWound
Neophyte

ExitWound

This is the first map that did this to me (on this rom). I remember now a long time ago a hack I was working on did this to me but when I entered a forest. It's really strange. I tried using a different map on the SAME MAP BANK (5) and it worked. I was using map 2 on map bank 5 which turned the screen black. Then I tried map 1 on map bank 5 which did the same thing. Now I'm using map 3 on my bank 5 and it seems to work. And so does the above mart script!
Super confusing stuff :S

Last edited by ExitWound; 7th March 2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 7th March 2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Luna
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Luna Luna Luna Luna Luna

That is weird then. Did you try looking to see if there were any oddities with the headers and whatnot that might be causing this? Maybe some scripts that ran when you entered the map that had invalid pointers to data that wasn't there anymore? Just a shot in the dark, hard to say really. It's good that you got it working eventually but it would be nice to figure out what is causing the problem so that it can be corrected for the other maps.

Tags
pokémarts