PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Find and play great Pokémon ROM Hacks here, or post your own hack project.
Note: This is not a place to recruit members for a team.

Old 5th April 2017, 03:05 AM   #1
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades
Default Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version

Pokémon CosmicEmerald Version
Base ROM: Pokémon Emerald Version (of course)

Description:

Alright, so this hack has been a long time in the making - having been worked on in little phases at a time, ever since I started learning about ROM hacking several years ago. Can’t really remember when (maybe 2010?).

It was put on hiatus several times due to life-stuff, and a couple of times I had even redone it from the beginning to find and remove any and all glitches/errors; I spent most of the time trying to figure out what the most minimalistic/efficient ways to implement everything were. Finally it's here, but there are still a lot more ideas I intend to put into this game.

A change-log (different from the one here) has been kept documenting every single change that has been made (as well as dates-of editing, revisions and future ideas), for the sake of being able to quickly and easily pinpoint the cause of any errors. Choices in programs and how they were used have been carefully considered to avoid glitches. I am also trying to keep the save-data structure of the base ROM intact so that the regular Emerald's game saves will remain 'backwards/forwards' compatible (originally for testing scripts, graphics, etc.). I am considering breaking that little rule soon, depending on how those changes affect how well I can test things.

Gameplay Summary:

This ROM hack does not alter the main story, and it retains all the features the original Emerald has. However, it adds several things to the mix to make it more fulfilling and fun to play. Remember those days when myths like going to the Moon after a certain number of rocket launches/weeks were a thing? Some things like that will be accounted for now; with some changes/twists to how they are done, plus more surprises. There is a moderate increase in difficulty (not really big), but there are rewards to compensate. I still want to make some puzzles more difficult too.

Only a select few newer-generation features have been added, as I wanted to keep this hack’s gameplay as faithful to the pre-2007 scene as possible while still adding a few of the newer games’ improvements in function. However... I might add in a few newer-generation Pokémon as special appearances/events in the future if things continue to progress well. The problem is, expanding the PokéDex could apparently cause the game to require non-vanilla-compatible saves, but I think that will be OK as long as one does not plan on using this hack's saves with the regular Emerald (or vice-versa, I think). You may want to also keep in mind that if I happen to release an expanded-Dex version at some point, it may not be compatible with a save file from the regular version of this hack. However, I will not stop updating the regular one and will still release it as well. I would also try to find a way to make the original saves compatible with the new one..

Main Features:

The PRNG glitch has been fixed by re-incorporating Emerald’s unused PRNG system

All 386 Gen 1-3 Pokémon available (except Jirachi right now)
  • A New Evo Stone that evolves Trade-Evo Pokémon
  • More Roaming Legendaries, events, different sprites, etc.
    • Some events based on Day/Night/etc and/or game completion status
  • Pokémon from different PokéDex sections have their own battle music (based on availability in-game)
    • (i.e. Encounter a wild Pidgey somewhere, it will play Kanto’s Wild Battle theme; while Sentret has an RSE-style Johto theme)
  • Most events/Legendaries have signature themes too (i.e. Suicune and its Crystal battle theme)
  • A special Event-Shiny somewhere?
  • Check the Game Corner prizes in Mauville City for a few surprises
  • Mirage Island is actually relevant now for National PokéDex completion
    • Available when Hoenn Dex is complete, and only on a particular phase of Sunday
Special Event Tickets are available via unlocking Mystery Gift and finding the MG Receptionist upstairs in all Pokémon Centers
  • Obtaining the Nintendo Event Tickets in this hack uses the real Mystery Gift scripts that legitimately unlock them!
  • How to obtain them this time:
Spoiler:
  • Eon Ticket: Become the Hoenn League Champion
  • AuroraTicket: Complete Hoenn PokéDex (Jirachi/Deoxys don't count)
  • MysticTicket: Raikou, Entei and Suicune all defeated/fled from or captured (Like w/Crystal Version's Ho-oh, but more lenient)
  • Old Sea Map: Roaming Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres defeated or captured

Day & Night System (Early-Morning, Morning, Day, Afternoon, Twilight, Evening)
  • Affects battles too, and will eventually affect music on maps in a future update
Graphics have been altered in many different areas/aspects (nothing too fancy, but it is an improvement IMO)
  • (i.e. Meteor Falls looks very different now, many menus are new colors, trees/caves different texture, etc).
  • New Battle Backgrounds based off of HG/SS’s and recolored to match CosmicEmerald's altered environments
    • The tiled indoor trainer battle style and the Champion one were designed by me using Paint
  • Edited Rayquaza’s backsprite so that its lower ‘fin’ points backwards instead of forward
  • New (but still similar) Title Screen!
Upgraded B/W Repel System (lets you choose whether to use another and which kind)

TMs are re-useable

All Pokéballs (except Safari Balls) are re-useable until capture
  • Are slightly less common and cost quite a bit more for balance’s sake
  • No more worry about resets, savestate-abuse or running out of chances to capture a Shiny
Your Pokémon receive EXP when you capture another, like at the end of a normal battle

Pokémon’s Natures have color-coded stat boosts/drops

Rough Skin Ability Fix (from Gen IV)

EVs cap at 252 instad of 255 (in order to not waste remainder points)

Steeper difficulty curve
  • Storyline-based/secret trainers are stronger, Event-Legendaries stronger, etc), but nothing insane
Running While Indoors

Final Trainer Card is no longer Gold, but is ‘Platinum’ (well, not that literally, but it’s totally different than before)

Upgraded EXP system: All Pokémon directly participating in a battle will receive full EXP, not half unless you use EXP Share to avoid having to switch them out. This allows you to have more options for how to train.

Unlike in the original Emerald Version, berries in Loamy Soil patches should now continually replant themselves indefinitely when you don't pick them (if they are somehow still disappearing, let me know!).
---
Suggestions for changes to features/requirements for events or items are welcome.

Screenshots:

Current WIPs, Planned Features and Ideas:

Getting proper Events going for Celebi and Jirachi (maybe on Southern Island and The Moon)

Completing the design for the Moon map (huge progress has already been made)
  • I have a ‘quest’ planned for getting to The Moon, and it will probably involve a Mew (or maybe Deoxys?)
Wild Double Battles (depends on if I can somehow get it working)

Turning the Altering Cave into something much more interesting

Changes to Safari Zone’s Expansion Area
  • Either only accessible during twilight hours or is split between nocturnal/diurnal Johto Pokémon
Make Steven rematch-able
  • Maybe reusing one of the games ‘daily flags’ to make him available on certain days, and only once per day
More graphical upgrades
  • Lamps that light up/glow during darker hours
Music remixes
  • Remixing/altering some of the in-game themes slightly
  • Roaming Legendaries (looking at you, Lati@s) will have their own themes/remixes!
  • Songs from previous games (such as GSC)
  • Cameos for non-Pokémon themes, possibly self-made songs/remixes
  • Day/Night-based song switches
More random or seasonal weather on maps (If I happen to implement seasons at some point)

Using the PokéNav (or a key item) as a clock or watch (if I can manage to figure out how)

Make it so Deoxys’s form can be changed via regular overworld script
  • Unless I expand the Dex, it may be limited to just switching between Speed and Normal form. There is already a way to switch between Speed and Normal, but I'm not sure right now if it can be done via scripting/ASM.

Consistent (but maybe not TOTAL) de-capitalization
  • Saving this one for last to avoid any possible complex errors while I work on things. Honestly, not sure if I want to even implement this or not.

Credits:

Banjora Marxvile [Tiles from his Emerald Rom-Base, such as the new Mossdeep Gym]
+ All those who contributed to it, in the next spoiler
Beastly12817 [Testing the early versions of the hack, collaborating and giving me lots of great ideas in person (thanks, man!)]
BluRose [Porting Re-Useable PokéBalls to Emerald]
DizzyEgg [Custom Wild Battle Music for Specific Pokémon; Updated B/W Repel System]
FamiliaWerneck [Re-Useable PokéBalls ASM Routine]
Frezgle [Porting the EXP Division hack to Emerald]
Gamefreak & Nintendo [Pokémon Emerald Version]
Gamer2020 [Pokémon Game Editor (program)]
HackMew [PRNG Fix, “thumb.bat” file, Overworld Editor RE (program), and Xtreme Script Editor (program)]
Jambo51 [Unnamed Trainer Editor (program)]
Jirachiwishmaker [Freeing Restriction for National-Dex Pokémon in Contests]
Kleenexfeu [Enabling use of Soul Dew in Battle Frontier]
Kyledove [Underwater coral/shell tiles]
LU-HO [Advance Map (program)]
Mastermind-X [Shiny Hack]
MWisBest [Re-planting Berries hack]
Prime-dialga [DNS, AKA "Day, Night and Seasons" (program)]
SabfromPC [Underwater mountain tiles]
Sky0fBlades (me) [Putting together the ROM hack]
Spherical Ice [Color-coded Stats for Natures, Default Wallpaper hack]
The_Learner [TL’s Quick Enhancer (program)]
ThomasWinwood [Adding to the PRNG Fix]
Trev [EXP Division hack]
Wichu [Advanced Series GBA Toolbox (programs)]
You Watanabe [Porting the Default Wallpaper hack to Emerald]

Everyone who contributed to BM's Emerald ROM Base:
Spoiler:

WAH
Kyledove
Calis Project
Wesley FG
Midnitez Remix
Alistair
Speed
tarev
Hek
FM
Zein
Shawn Frost
Banjora Marxvile

The credits list will be added to if more of others’ resources become involved in this game.
If there is anyone missing from this section whose resources have been used here, please let me know ASAP so I can give credit.

Known Bugs/Issues (If you find any more, please let me know!):

PokéDex text shifting glitch involving "EXP when Catching Pokémon" upon level-up
  • It's perhaps mildly annoying, but definitely not serious or game-breaking. There is currently no solution for this that I can properly use yet, but when I do then this should be an easy, easy fix.

Some overworld sprites may be incorrect and need to be switched out (not game-breaking)

Jirachi is still not officially available yet.

Some specific trainer battle themes are defaulted to the normal one, such as the rival battle theme
  • Found the source of the problem, it has now been removed and the changes will be present in the next release. Fix is here No longer needed!
Updates
Spoiler:
  • 4/6/2017: Touched-up a few Wild Encounter lists, Locations Guide was already updated for it.
  • 4/17/2017: Put in the rest of the customized Wild Battle Music feature, so that it actually works in-game now. Also gave the option for Tyranitar to have the Intimidate Ability, so it's not limited to Sand Stream. Also changed weather on a map to fix a tile priority issue. Updated Locations (Clefairy and Paras).
  • 5/2/2017: Fixed the sprite issues Lightblitz7 pointed out, complete with updated scripts. Switched out the Pokémon Center theme in Evergrande City's bigger Center for the game's hidden "Crystal" one.
  • 5/17/2017: Upgraded the Title Screen a bit (finally)!
  • 5/18/2017: Fixed a minor defect in the new Title Screen and altered it very slightly.
  • 8/9/2017: Johto Pokémon from the National Dex now have their own battle theme, further upgrades planned for Lugia and Ho-oh theme(s). Events that required Hoenn Dex completion now have been dialed down to only needing either 150 (Lapras), 170 (Legendary Beasts), or 180 (Mewtwo). Also, the Link Stone is now called the Plasma Stone instead. Box Wallpaper variation hack applied, see a later post of mine in this thread for details. Planted berries should now stay planted and recycle themselves - no more 9-day limit! The EXP system hack I explained in a post later in this thread is now applied. New Locations Guide released as well.
  • 8/11/20017: Got rid of an annoying bug I just found.

Downloads:
*Remember, this hack is still planned to have several additional features, so be sure to check back in once in a while in case of updates/fixes! (Take your time playing through)*
  • When applying a new update, use the patch with a clean ROM to avoid any potential issues.
  • It's story is still the exact same as the original, and the other changes are not too incredibly obvious at a glance yet. For example, if anyone would like to do a Let's Play, that would be awesome but be aware that more features (like the ones described above) are on the way to make it more fun.

Latest .IPS Patch (8/11/2017) + Locations Guide:
Attached Files
File Type: ips CE_8-11-2017.ips (111.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf Locations Guide [8-26-2017].pdf (134.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 17th September 2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Updated the Locations Guide
Sky0fBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12th April 2017, 04:45 PM   #2
solidsmeagol
n00b

solidsmeagol

Looking forward to checking this out when I have time. Also, why not post this on Pokecommunity; there's usually a larger audience over there.
solidsmeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 11:56 PM   #3
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsmeagol View Post
Also, why not post this on Pokecommunity; there's usually a larger audience over there.
I know there is, but I was hoping to draw some more people to this forum for right now since it really needs more activity. I may consider also posting it over there really soon depending on what more I can find out about the situation. This site is supposed to be getting more traffic at some point anyway (honestly, I'm even not really sure how much it helps to only upload here) but for now I decided to just post it on PHO. Plus, some time ago I had said that this would be the first site I posted it on, so I figured I should keep my word.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 13th April 2017 at 06:52 AM.
Likes Distortion liked this post
Old 1st May 2017, 11:01 AM   #4
Lightblitz7
n00b

Lightblitz7

Hey there, I'd like to report a "feature": In Rustboro City in the house to right of the Market is not a Pikachu (as referred to by the inhabitants) but a Lapras using Pikachu's cry and textbox.
Couldn't find anything else to complain about so far :-)

Edit: In Slateport's "Pokémon Fan Club" is a Mewtwo using Azumarill's cry and textbox (next to the Swagger-Tutor, who brags about his awesome Pokémon ^^)

Last edited by Lightblitz7; 1st May 2017 at 08:10 PM.
Lightblitz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Sky0fBlades liked this post
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightblitz7 View Post
Hey there, I'd like to report a "feature": In Rustboro City in the house to right of the Market is not a Pikachu (as referred to by the inhabitants) but a Lapras using Pikachu's cry and textbox.
Couldn't find anything else to complain about so far :-)

Edit: In Slateport's "Pokémon Fan Club" is a Mewtwo using Azumarill's cry and textbox (next to the Swagger-Tutor, who brags about his awesome Pokémon ^^)
Thanks for letting me know, I'll have these fixed in the next release. I had found these exact issues in other locations but apparently a few got by me.

UPDATE: Fixed. Also, "Pekachu" has been replaced with an old favorite.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 3rd May 2017 at 02:47 AM.
Old 3rd May 2017, 01:20 AM   #6
Kristofferst
Pokémon Trainer From Hoenn

Kristofferst
Default Plan

Do you have a plan of Expanding Pokemon and Pokedex? and adding Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion form?
Kristofferst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 02:21 AM   #7
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofferst View Post
Do you have a plan of Expanding Pokemon and Pokedex? and adding Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversion form?
Primal forms for Groudon/Kyogre (and the Mega for Rayquaza) might be added later in the expanded-feature version but it's low-priority until the hack becomes more advanced. I am not all that familiar with the newer games' mechanics, so I am sticking with what I know for now.

Otherwise, no Megas or Primals are planned for this one. It's meant to just be a more enhanced, complete and more challenging version of Emerald, which sticks to the original style before Diamond & Pearl were released. It's essentially a sort of Gen 1-3 all-in-one (except the other regions) with lots of bonus content that many wished was in the original R/S/E.

However, as mentioned in the description, I do plan to make a version of this hack with a slightly expanded PokéDex. That one is planned to have a select few from Gens 4 and up as special extras, and maybe even some non-Pokémon/uncatchable challenge battles. I know that many recent hacks are using tons of newer features (like phys/spec split, fairy type, etc.), but there are still many of us out there who prefer the earlier games' style. I did of course allow some exceptions, such as a balanced re-useable Pokéballs system as well as the TMs.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 3rd May 2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: grammar and clarification in paragraph 1
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:01 AM   #8
Kristofferst
Pokémon Trainer From Hoenn

Kristofferst

Ok. Thanks. More Updates to come!
Kristofferst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 09:56 AM   #9
Lightblitz7
n00b

Lightblitz7

In the friendship rater's house (bottom left in Verdanturf) is another Lapras which (apparently) should have been a Pikachu. I don't know if you have fixed this error already, I'm sorry if that's the case.
Lightblitz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Dang, you're right. I wonder how many more there are, since the ones that have been fixed so far IIRC are the Daycare Center sprites, the Azumarill in the Lilycove Dept. Store, the Pikachu in Rustboro, and the Azumarill in Slateport.

I'll fix this problem too and release another patch in a while. Thanks again.

Tags
cosmicemerald, emerald, hack, pokemon, project, sky0fblades, version, [GBA]