PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Generation I/II Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Have a hack with some good progress? Post it here. Threads require approval.

User Tag List

Old 7th October 2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNikoBradshaw View Post
So wait this is basically a hack taking all the nonsensical rumors from Gen I and putting them into the game?

I like
Yep, that was the basic plan. Its obviously been on hold on-and-off for years now, but it all started because Pyro and I were talking one day and thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if the Pokégods and all of that other stuff we made up in the 90s had been real?" and so we decided to make a Red Remake with all that stuff added.

The first version was kinda lame, because we were still new to hacking and didn't know how to do a lot of things. I was just learning how to script, didn't know many of the commands and knew nothing at all about flags or anything, so the first version was really weird. You had a guy in Pewter City that gave you free Rattatas all day and a girl that gave free Berries in Viridian. Mr. Pokemon's house was on Route 2 and you started in some weird town thing connected to the grass area on Route 21 by a gate. It was really weird.

So that was put on hold, and we learned more about hacking while working on Sterling Silver. Then we came back to Secrets and Rumours and gave it an overhaul, but it still wasn't as close to Red. Like you started with Eevee and the Rival had Pikachu, and some other things were different.

The latest incarnation is a lot closer to original Red, and even though the demo isn't very long you can get to Brick Town now and do some neat things there, like: get an unofficial gym badge, have a run-in with Team Rocket in the abandoned Warehouse, and stuff like that. When I get around to updating this again, I'll make it even more like Red by restoring the original skill sets, and of course make the demo go further and add more of the Pokegods. (Right now, only Pikablu is available. Plus you can catch Jasmine if you use a gameshark code).

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 13th November 2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Pretty neat. Your Lotusan definitely looks better than the pixelated mess in the fake pokedex screen haha. And your Ghandikhan looks better than Rhyperior but I can see the similarities (I've always hated Rhyperior, but this one I like).

Old 18th September 2014, 11:34 PM   #13
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Just wanted to bump this thread to mention a few things. When this hack comes back, it will be based on the pokered disassembly instead of being a Gold hack. I am also heavily leaning toward changing the name to "Pokémon Forever", since that name is shorter than "Secrets and Rumours" and since the point of the hack is keeping the late 90's nostalgia alive forever. I'll post more once I actually get started porting stuff over and have some updated screens and stuff.

With the swap to Pokered you can expect:
- Faster development, since time can be focused on adding new content instead of painstakingly recreating Red Version from scratch in the Gold engine.
- Red version events 100% accurate, because they are the original events.
- Gender selection added. This wasn't in the gold-based SaR, but will be simpler to add with it being a disassembly. I actually took a break from Christmas to start looking into this part already, so that I can post a tutorial on it to go along with Pia's "Pokered for Dummies" tutorial.
- New locations that were in the current demo (like Brick Town) will of course be returning.
- Pokegods, as promised from the start.
- All of the rumours I was originally planning to add will still be in.
- More.
- Possibly 2 versions of the game, Red and Blue. They would of course be completely compatible with each other except for the version exclusives. NOTE: I'm not 100% sure if I want to do this or just make all of them catchable in a single version. But Pokered makes it simple to compile matching Red and Blue versions of the game at the same time, so it wouldn't delay release at all to release it as Red and Blue simultaneously when the time comes.

Last edited by Mateo; 19th September 2014 at 04:19 AM.
Likes DarkTammer liked this post
Old 19th September 2014, 07:08 AM   #14
ThePharaoh
What does this button do?.....

ThePharaoh

Oh my God! I remember seeing a video on this a few years ago. I thought the project died! Well, you have my full support!
Hi. I'm ThePharaoh. You may remember me as Sceptile90 from Pokécommunity. But, I won't bore you with my life story. I was interested in making a Fire Red Hack. If you wish you want to help me, then just shoot a PM. I'm looking for Spriters and Scripters or even someone to teach me how to script!
ThePharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 19th September 2014, 03:16 PM   #15
PokeGlitch
Neophyte

PokeGlitch

This is an excellent idea for a hack. Glad to see it's coming back. Good luck with it!

Currently hacking Red - Pokemon TRE2: Team Rocket Edition

PokeTRE.com

PokeGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 18th October 2014, 10:02 PM   #16
CrystalMarina
Best in Johto

CrystalMarina

Neat! Glad this will be coming back

Tags
pokemon, rumours, secrets, [GB/GBC]