PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 24th January 2014, 08:44 PM   #21
AvaraMoon
Mirage Of Tales Creator

AvaraMoon

What REALLLLLY grinds my gears is the attitudes of some people towards graphics in hacks.

It seems that it doesn't matter about storyline or gameplay ideas anymore, all people want is pretty tiles to look at.

I've even seen people comment on a really cool-sounding hack's thread (and even had it said to me personally) "get new tiles and ill play this" or something to that effect. Idk if it's just me, but it's just something I find kind of a shame.

And vice-versa, when a new hack gets posted that has an extremely generic storyline but because it has custom tiles it gets all of the "OMGZ CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS LOLZ" comments.

Last edited by AvaraMoon; 24th January 2014 at 08:53 PM.
AvaraMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 24th January 2014, 11:18 PM   #22
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvaraMoon View Post
What REALLLLLY grinds my gears is the attitudes of some people towards graphics in hacks.

It seems that it doesn't matter about storyline or gameplay ideas anymore, all people want is pretty tiles to look at.

I've even seen people comment on a really cool-sounding hack's thread (and even had it said to me personally) "get new tiles and ill play this" or something to that effect. Idk if it's just me, but it's just something I find kind of a shame.

And vice-versa, when a new hack gets posted that has an extremely generic storyline but because it has custom tiles it gets all of the "OMGZ CANT WAIT TO PLAY THIS LOLZ" comments.
Amen!

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:

And most of the time because they added BW/HGSS graphics it creates graphical glitches anyway, lel.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Alex liked this post
Old 25th January 2014, 09:36 PM   #24
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:

It's like they seem to get off on graphics. Like, yes, graphics are nice, but have an actual storyline behind it or I won't play it.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes BlackAnarchy★ liked this post
Old 25th January 2014, 09:50 PM   #25
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Talking So funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
It's like they seem to get off on graphics. Like, yes, graphics are nice, but have an actual storyline behind it or I won't play it.
It's like they seem to get off on graphics. I laughed so hard because I just imagined so guy behind a computer like "Hmm..yeah let me look at those B/W Graphics.Ahmmm I love the color palettes on them!!"

But yeah I just hate when hack's story are contrived as hell. Such as your character started his pokemon journey the same day Giovanni started wearing sandals and shooting Water Guns at trainers .

Last edited by BlackAnarchy★; 25th January 2014 at 09:52 PM.
BlackAnarchy★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes AvaraMoon liked this post
Old 25th January 2014, 10:04 PM   #26
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Sure, I've jokingly posted this image as a reply to one of Pia's maps

Spoiler:

but yeah I think that some people might legitimately get off on shiny graphics. These are probably the same people who buy a new iPhone when their old one still works just to have the latest thing. But yeah, its nuts how people ignore everything and just look at the graphics.

And a lot of people just speed through the text we write anyway, ignore everything, and then complain when they are stuck. Should have spent more time playing the game and less time clopping to Ponyta's sprite and the overworld tiles.

Likes AvaraMoon, Alex, Team Fail liked this post
Old 25th January 2014, 11:56 PM   #27
Alex
srs fkn bsns btch

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Sure, I've jokingly posted this image as a reply to one of Pia's maps

Spoiler:

but yeah I think that some people might legitimately get off on shiny graphics. These are probably the same people who buy a new iPhone when their old one still works just to have the latest thing. But yeah, its nuts how people ignore everything and just look at the graphics.

And a lot of people just speed through the text we write anyway, ignore everything, and then complain when they are stuck. Should have spent more time playing the game and less time clopping to Ponyta's sprite and the overworld tiles.
I had a friend in high school who's like that. I saw he was into ROM hacks, so I gave him a patch of my hack that I had put close to three years already into.

At lunch I watch him zoom through the game like an African swallow, and you know what he tells me when he's done?

"Needs to be longer."

It seems people like him sum up about 80% of the GBA playerbase.

Last edited by Alex; 25th January 2014 at 11:58 PM.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Miksy91 liked this post
Old 26th January 2014, 12:32 AM   #28
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I had a friend in high school who's like that. I saw he was into ROM hacks, so I gave him a patch of my hack that I had put close to three years already into.

At lunch I watch him zoom through the game like an African swallow, and you know what he tells me when he's done?

"Needs to be longer."

It seems people like him sum up about 80% of the GBA playerbase.
"Man I don't have time to read all that shit I just want to battle that's what the game's about anyway oh but I turn animations off because that shit takes too long"

Likes Miksy91 liked this post
Old 26th January 2014, 08:59 AM   #29
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Maybe we should all create hacks in which all the trainers would follow the same guideline;

[trainer sees you]
Before battle: "Hey! Let's battle!"
After winning: "I lost..."
After battle: "I lost..."

(Or maybe create an asm hack that makes the game function so that the trainer just walks to you and challenges you and after you beat him, no text is displayed either, and after the battle, well... I guess he could be gone, or say that "I lost..." thing.)

I guess we could of course assume that players will never talk to the battled trainer after the battle, so we don't have to adjust a script that takes care of that situation.

Wait a minute... we could take care of everything with a small asm routine!
Let's just modify "startbattle" routine so that everytime it's called, it calls several routines that print those generic texts "Hey! Let's battle!", "I lost..." and such. And if we (for some reason, dunno why!) wanted to have a bit more variation, make it load the text data to print from a table which is handled so that it randomizes the value that points to the pointer to the text data.

(This went a bit too far, but at least the first part of the message should have been funny.)

Last edited by Miksy91; 26th January 2014 at 09:04 AM.
Miksy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 26th January 2014, 09:21 AM   #30
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

In SaR I didn't put the talkaftercancel command in any of my trainers so that it made the player talk to them after the battle xD. I was like "Damn it, I took the time to make up this text, your ass can at least press 'A' on it!". Not really the best way to be, but you know.

--------------

"I never wanted to be in Team Rocket anyway. I wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK!"

EDIT2: I've thought about adding a popup at the start of the game that asks "Do you want to enable NOOB MODE?" and if you press yes, it gives you all 8 badges, 99 Master Balls, 99 Rare Candies, and hides pretty much every trainer and NPC in the game. Or at the very least, it disables any actual cool events if you tried to cheat.

Tags
gears, grinds, hacking, pokemon, rom