PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > News & Updates

News & Updates This is the place to get the latest news and updates about PHO.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2015, 02:28 AM   #1
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP
 
Team Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 585
Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail
Default PHO Satisfaction Survey - Take it today!

So over the past while, you may have noticed that the forums are a little bit dead. As well, it's always us trying to come up with solutions, which usually never works out well in the end, evidently. This time, however, we'd like to hear from YOU.

Take our anonymous survey (It'll take about 10-15 minutes at most), and let us know what you think. It's anonymous, so you can be as detailed as you want to be, and we won't judge you.

http://goo.gl/forms/AGzQFrpT8T

Did I mention it's anonymous? Take the survey and help pave the path for a new PHO that works for everyone.
__________________
twitter | dropbox | youtube | bro

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Ray, Elsa liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 7th April 2015, 08:12 AM   #2
Alex
srs fkn bsns btch
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Makin' bacon
Age: 19
Posts: 14
Alex
Default

I do want to comment on the state of PHO, and of our actual community specifically. A lot is stirring around in my head and a lot of it is possibilities, and potential. Hear me out.



I want to acknowledge that when people say PHO is dead, there is a lot of validity in that statement. There's nothing can be done with the thing in its particular instance. With that said, I think if we're liberal and radical enough, we could potentially forge a new forum with a new name, and a new purpose, if we so choose. It means PHO must be left to die, sure, but it won't be in vain. This is a lesson learned.

First off, we need an entirely new name. Obviously when you change one's head it's not right to leave their face there, I'd think. The kind of forum I envision is one that is incredibly resource-oriented - one that's not really particularly social. That base is covered by RHM and the IRC. For it to be useful, I suggest having people's research, development, and other informations be shared by them onto this new forum. The biggest thing behind this kind of idea is it generates traffic. "Oh, yeah I know where that thing you're talking about is documented! *links to our site*" It makes the place useful. The reason PHO is dead is because its purpose has been usurped and it seems the people in charge have just left it be, near enough.

I'm well aware of how vital it is that power in this social network of ours be carefully managed, as I'm sure you three at the head of matters are. Having the wrong people in charge is what crippled PHO into losing its relevance to RHM and the like. People avoided it because of the mess and went to greener pastures, and now there's no reason for them to go back. Get me?

One thing I would advocate for though is sweeping out all of the old staff say for the key faces. I feel that the team is not reflecting what's "as needed." A quartet of administrators should well be able to handle moderation and all the stuff needed to run a forum.


That's my theory behind things. But it's no fun unless I make some analytical and preferential statements about things, so I'll spoiler that here.
Spoiler:
  • For comfortability I suggest we keep on vBulletin 3, using LaZ's license for PHO
  • Were Linkandzelda to finance, have him in his own site admin group
  • Have Bela, Team Fail, and possibly one other as forum admins
  • Avoid extraneous/superfluous usergroups such as VIPs, donors, moderators, super mods, etc until proven necessary
  • Have the board set up extremely low-fat, sporting a tightly-grouped array of a couple of boards
  • Jack one style from the old PHO (besides the default) for use on the new site



I'm not sure about what exactly we'd name it. PHO was nice despite Pokémon Hackers Online being a giant mouthful. We probably want something concise.
__________________
Co-Administrator for the RHM IRC and System Affairs
Administrator at the Cave of Origin
The Cave of Origin just reached 100,000,000,000 hits!
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 12:07 PM   #3
Aperso
Puddleduck
PHO VIP
 
Aperso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: its long since gone
Posts: 167
Aperso
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I do want to comment on the state of PHO, and of our actual community specifically. A lot is stirring around in my head and a lot of it is possibilities, and potential. Hear me out.



I want to acknowledge that when people say PHO is dead, there is a lot of validity in that statement. There's nothing can be done with the thing in its particular instance. With that said, I think if we're liberal and radical enough, we could potentially forge a new forum with a new name, and a new purpose, if we so choose. It means PHO must be left to die, sure, but it won't be in vain. This is a lesson learned.

First off, we need an entirely new name. Obviously when you change one's head it's not right to leave their face there, I'd think. The kind of forum I envision is one that is incredibly resource-oriented - one that's not really particularly social. That base is covered by RHM and the IRC. For it to be useful, I suggest having people's research, development, and other informations be shared by them onto this new forum. The biggest thing behind this kind of idea is it generates traffic. "Oh, yeah I know where that thing you're talking about is documented! *links to our site*" It makes the place useful. The reason PHO is dead is because its purpose has been usurped and it seems the people in charge have just left it be, near enough.

I'm well aware of how vital it is that power in this social network of ours be carefully managed, as I'm sure you three at the head of matters are. Having the wrong people in charge is what crippled PHO into losing its relevance to RHM and the like. People avoided it because of the mess and went to greener pastures, and now there's no reason for them to go back. Get me?

One thing I would advocate for though is sweeping out all of the old staff say for the key faces. I feel that the team is not reflecting what's "as needed." A quartet of administrators should well be able to handle moderation and all the stuff needed to run a forum.


That's my theory behind things. But it's no fun unless I make some analytical and preferential statements about things, so I'll spoiler that here.
Spoiler:
  • For comfortability I suggest we keep on vBulletin 3, using LaZ's license for PHO
  • Were Linkandzelda to finance, have him in his own site admin group
  • Have Bela, Team Fail, and possibly one other as forum admins
  • Avoid extraneous/superfluous usergroups such as VIPs, donors, moderators, super mods, etc until proven necessary
  • Have the board set up extremely low-fat, sporting a tightly-grouped array of a couple of boards
  • Jack one style from the old PHO (besides the default) for use on the new site



I'm not sure about what exactly we'd name it. PHO was nice despite Pokémon Hackers Online being a giant mouthful. We probably want something concise.
The main problems I have with this is that you keep referring to RHM and PHO as one place. Link has made it clear repeatedly RHM and PHO are not one place. Therefore it shouldn't be treated as if they're both the same.
__________________
Romhack.me ~ Aperso's account|PHO Forums ~ Aperso's account

I'll come up with something to put here later.
Aperso is online now   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 7th April 2015, 02:16 PM   #4
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP
 
Elsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Age: 20
Posts: 384
Elsa
Default

Completely agree with Aspero's statement.

Quote:
Having the wrong people in charge is what crippled PHO into losing its relevance to RHM and the like.
I would also appreciate it if you had a little more respect. The administration was chosen carefully and they are to have respect.

In my eyes, PHO has always been about the social side of things. It has felt much more like a family than a business. So, I have to disagree with you. PHO has had an emphasis on documentation in the past, and I have actually found myself looking through our database before others like PC. Also, you haven't been here too long but most of what you suggested has been tried before. We've tried new names and none felt like PHO. We have had different emphasizes and this is what was most successful. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.
__________________

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by Elsa; 7th April 2015 at 09:42 PM.
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 02:53 PM   #5
Alex
srs fkn bsns btch
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Makin' bacon
Age: 19
Posts: 14
Alex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
Completely agree with Aspero's statement.



I would also appreciate it if you had a little more respect. The administration was chosen carefully and they are to have respect.
While I like the administration and get along with them nicely, I refuse to give them blind deference or anything of the sort. It's ludicrous to respect people for their arbitrary status - respect is earned, period. That's to say they more than have, but anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
In my eyes, PHO has always been about the social side of things. It has felt much more like a family than a business. So, I have to disagree with you. PHO has had an emphasis on documentation in the past, and I have actually found myself looking through our database before others like PC. Also, you haven't been here too long but most of what you suggested has been tried before. We've tried new names and none felt like PHO. We have had different emphasizes and this is what was most successful. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.
Until you let go of this kind of mentality PHO will remain dead and useless. It seems you're not even acknowledging that its activity has plummeted and stayed down lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aperso View Post
The main problems I have with this is that you keep referring to RHM and PHO as one place. Link has made it clear repeatedly RHM and PHO are not one place. Therefore it shouldn't be treated as if they're both the same.
Show me where you see that, because I'm 99% sure I did not.


I'm getting the feeling you may not quite know who I am, just because I'm not a regular here at all doesn't mean I have no stake in things. I am a somebody here tyvm. And I have some ideas for some big change. Don't cling onto the past like it's all that exists.
__________________
Co-Administrator for the RHM IRC and System Affairs
Administrator at the Cave of Origin
The Cave of Origin just reached 100,000,000,000 hits!
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 09:41 PM   #6
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP
 
Elsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: United States
Age: 20
Posts: 384
Elsa
Default

I see that I may have been a bit fast to disagree with you. I was blinded to read what you had said beyond the line about having the wrong people in charge. I have now looked back at what you said and am ready to actually respond to your ideas and comments.

Quote:
For it to be useful, I suggest having people's research, development, and other informations be shared by them onto this new forum.
So what you're saying is to put the emphasis on tools and tutorials. Were you imagining primarily Pokemon or a variety of hacking platforms?

Quote:
Avoid extraneous/superfluous usergroups such as VIPs, donors, moderators, super mods, etc until proven necessary
I would like to say that the usergroup for VIP and donars has traditionally been used as a sort of thanks from the forums for above and beyond support. Those usergroups haven't had the same effect as they used to and don't seem to be as useful. I would heavily miss my VIP status, but I can see your point.

Quote:
Have the board set up extremely low-fat, sporting a tightly-grouped array of a couple of boards
So this would be mainly tutorials and tools? I do see where focusing around that could be useful.

Quote:
First off, we need an entirely new name.
And this is because why? Does your idea involve being more broad than just Pokemon or is it mainly because the name is long? I personally like PHO but who knows... I'm somewhat biased about it xD

and finally...

Quote:
I'm getting the feeling you may not quite know who I am, just because I'm not a regular here at all doesn't mean I have no stake in things. I am a somebody here tyvm. And I have some ideas for some big change. Don't cling onto the past like it's all that exists.
I would like to apologize for giving you that impression. I seem to have forgotten when I was new to the forums and had ideas. I hope you accept my apology and could elaborate on my above points. I am interested in what you have to say about this matter!
__________________

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 11:19 PM   #7
Alice
ClariS <3
Style AdminstratorPHO VIPSuper Moderator
 
Alice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ANIMULAND
Age: 21
Posts: 316
Alice Alice
Default

I find it interesting to see that you seem to think we DON'T have any plans for PHO in the future and possible reforms etc.

After all, wasn't that the entire premise of this thread? Don't assume we aren't doing anything just because it hasn't been announced. The entire staff team (and a few VIPs) are in fact working on a great many things right now, and we do more than you see.

New management is not currently on the agenda, and as far as I can tell nobody on the staff team sees any need for it.
__________________
sukiyami.







"I dreamt that you were a dog. And the dog was my husband. Anyway, it was the worst dream ever." — Aisaka Taiga
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aperso, Elsa liked this post
Old 8th April 2015, 01:46 AM   #8
Alex
srs fkn bsns btch
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Makin' bacon
Age: 19
Posts: 14
Alex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice View Post
I find it interesting to see that you seem to think we DON'T have any plans for PHO in the future and possible reforms etc.

After all, wasn't that the entire premise of this thread? Don't assume we aren't doing anything just because it hasn't been announced. The entire staff team (and a few VIPs) are in fact working on a great many things right now, and we do more than you see.

New management is not currently on the agenda, and as far as I can tell nobody on the staff team sees any need for it.
That's a shame.
__________________
Co-Administrator for the RHM IRC and System Affairs
Administrator at the Cave of Origin
The Cave of Origin just reached 100,000,000,000 hits!
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator
 
Pia Carrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Valencia Island
Age: 22
Posts: 848
Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot
Default

Something tells me that kicking everyone but LaZ and Team Fail off the team, and adding Bela would not do anything for the forum. LaZ has other things in his life he needs to focus on and Team Fail rarely has time for anything online.

So that would leave us with Bela in charge, and I wouldn't stick around for a forum like that.

We take criticism and feedback kindly and always have since I brought it back, but I understand not everyone can see that and not everybody wants to accept that. We have plans for the future but unfortunately unless people want to contribute, this place will never get big like it used to be.
__________________

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 9th April 2015, 08:55 AM   #10
Chrunch
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 25
Chrunch
Default

Why do we need this to be another general hacking forum in the first place? The reason that no one is active is because there's already Pokecommunity for what you're offering. This place is basically a clone of PC, the difference is that one is active and popular. I think being more focused on resources and tutorials is a good idea, it doesn't rely so much on an active userbase and an organised place for tutorials and resources is something that's needed.
Chrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pho, satisfaction, survey, today

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Pokémon characters and images belong to Pokémon USA, Inc. and Nintendo.
Pokémon Hackers Online (PHO) is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo LLC, Creatures, GAMEFREAK inc,
The Pokémon Company, Pokémon USA, Inc., The Pokémon Company International, or Wizards of the Coast.
All forum/site content (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2006-2013 Pokémon Hackers Online (PHO).
Green Charizard Christos TreeckoLv100

"Black 2" by ARTPOP. Kyurem artwork by XOUS.

no new posts