PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation

Guides & Documentation Learn how to make your own Pokémon game through the process of ROM Hacking, or help out the community by sharing your information.

Old 30th July 2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

UPDATE: Not only did I recently make this guide waaay easier to read, but I've even found a couple more offset areas with lots of 00 bytes after 0x9C0B20 you can change to FF:

0xB98B30 to 0xBFFFFB, and 0xD3CEA0 to 0xD437EF

Note: I rounded them off a little bit just for (likely unecessary) safety reasons, making them start and end a bit further away from the cutoffs where the real data ends and begins. You can use that extra bit of space if you really want to, but I won't make any promises there.

I will be updating the patch, and will let you all know when it's up. UPDATE - Added it.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 30th July 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Sky0fBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10th August 2014, 01:19 PM   #12
imas234
n00b

imas234

Quote:
There, now Advance Map will not overwrite critical bytes; but even if you make these changes, adding new Wild Pokemon data where there is none - or even adding new map banks (not sure about that one though) - will still overwrite the wrong bytes. I just recently found out about that (wild pokemon problem), courtesy of Diegoisawesome.
So does this mean if i put pokemon in rustboro it could mess up my game?

Also, what is the patch for? [sorry if my questions are stupid/annoying i'm new to romhacking]
imas234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2014, 08:56 PM   #13
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by imas234 View Post
So does this mean if i put pokemon in rustboro it could mess up my game?

Also, what is the patch for? [sorry if my questions are stupid/annoying i'm new to romhacking]
Yes, I've tried doing just that same thing but in other places like Navel Rock and when it shows where in the rom it wrote the new data it still says $6DXXXX, with the X's being any other numbers/letters. I'll try to find a workaround for this though.

This patch just turns all the offset ranges I mentioned from "00" bytes to "FF" bytes (AKA free space), like it is with FireRed and other games. This guide basically shows how to do it without needing to use the patch.

Don't worry about the questions, they don't bother me at all and I'm happy to help.

Last edited by Sky0fBlades; 10th August 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11th August 2014, 05:33 AM   #14
imas234
n00b

imas234

Oh thanks. The patch really helps for newbs like me who don't really get the more technical aspects of pokemon (ya know hex and asm and stuff).

But, after applying the patch we still have to fix stuff in animeditor and A-map right?
imas234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2014, 09:25 PM   #15
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by imas234 View Post
Oh thanks. The patch really helps for newbs like me who don't really get the more technical aspects of pokemon (ya know hex and asm and stuff).

But, after applying the patch we still have to fix stuff in animeditor and A-map right?
Yes, and any other programs that have a similar configuration that you can edit. So far, those are the only ones I know of that have that particular .INI file.
Old 2nd October 2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Sky High
Disturbing...

Sky High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky0fBlades View Post
don't alter the space between 0xE3CF48 and 0xE3CF64. It's taken.
I think that part is completely useless and should be erased too. I just dunno what really does so. I've searched every pointers that leads to that space and really does nothing. I assume it is an image, not some (hidden) routine, and none of ASM routines would be past 0x08900000. There are no any pointers lead to that area so I think, again, is safe to be erased.
Sky High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 12:56 AM   #17
Sky0fBlades
Emerald Hacker

Sky0fBlades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
I think that part is completely useless and should be erased too. I just dunno what really does so. I've searched every pointers that leads to that space and really does nothing. I assume it is an image, not some (hidden) routine, and none of ASM routines would be past 0x08900000. There are no any pointers lead to that area so I think, again, is safe to be erased.
I agree with you actually. I did the same thing you did a long while ago (searching for pointers to that data) and didn't get anything relevant. I just mentioned that area as I did to be absolutely certain that nothing was going to get messed up.

If you guys run into any problems after overwriting that part of the ROM, you can just copy the bytes back in from a clean ROM again; but I agree that that area might just be a bit of garbage data.

Tags
corruption, emerald, pok?mon, pokemon, preventing, stablizing, [Tutorial]