PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive > Questions & Answers

Notices

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 11th August 2014, 06:11 PM   #1
Bauerklos
Music Hacking Master

Bauerklos
Post [QUESTION] Changing Starting Position in FR?

Hey everybody, this is my first thread here, and I think I'm posting it in the right place, but please tell me if I'm not.

Alright, so I'm having a bit of a ROM hacking dilemma here, as I can't seem to change the starting position in FireRed.

What I mean by starting position, is when you first start the game and you're in your room in Pallet Town.

I'm trying to change it to the S.S. Anne for the start of my hack using SMCA by HackMew, but I'm not sure what "banks" or "levels" mean, and I'm having trouble finding a good tutorial for it.

I've also tried hex editing the starting position using a guide but it didn't exactly explain what banks or levels were, just where they were when opening the ROM in HxD or any hex editor.

Help would be appreciated!
Bauerklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12th August 2014, 03:25 AM   #2
DoesntKnowHowToPlay

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

The hacky-but-effective solution is to just change the tileset and events of the house in Pallet Town so it looks like and connects to an S.S. Anne room. I'm pretty sure there's a method documented somewhere to control your exact location at the start for FR though, if that's not to your liking.

There's also the solution you seem to be attempting, which is to have a level script in the starting map teleport you to the right place at the beginning- it should work in theory, but I've never attempted it or heard positively from someone who has.
DoesntKnowHowToPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 04:20 PM   #3
Bauerklos
Music Hacking Master

Bauerklos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
The hacky-but-effective solution is to just change the tileset and events of the house in Pallet Town so it looks like and connects to an S.S. Anne room. I'm pretty sure there's a method documented somewhere to control your exact location at the start for FR though, if that's not to your liking.

There's also the solution you seem to be attempting, which is to have a level script in the starting map teleport you to the right place at the beginning- it should work in theory, but I've never attempted it or heard positively from someone who has.
Thanks for answering. I'm going to try and change the tileset like you first suggested. Hopefully all will go well but in the case that it doesn't I'll try to use a level script.
Old 12th August 2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauerklos View Post
I'm trying to change it to the S.S. Anne for the start of my hack using SMCA by HackMew, but I'm not sure what "banks" or "levels" mean, and I'm having trouble finding a good tutorial for it.
Allow me.

What it means by those, are how the maps are categorized. It's actually quite easy to find these, all you need is AdvanceMap (I'm not sure if MEH has this or not, I haven't used it any). Open the map you want to change your start location to (Ensure you're loading from INI), and look at its listing in the side panel. Note that there will be a number beside it (In the format X.X or X.XX). Such an example is this:

Vermillion City (3.5)

The first number (3 in this example) is the bank, and the second number, after the decimal (5 in this example) is the level. Put those into SMCA as required, and add your XY co-ords if necessary.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014, 09:51 PM   #5
Bauerklos
Music Hacking Master

Bauerklos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Allow me.

What it means by those, are how the maps are categorized. It's actually quite easy to find these, all you need is AdvanceMap (I'm not sure if MEH has this or not, I haven't used it any). Open the map you want to change your start location to (Ensure you're loading from INI), and look at its listing in the side panel. Note that there will be a number beside it (In the format X.X or X.XX). Such an example is this:

Vermillion City (3.5)

The first number (3 in this example) is the bank, and the second number, after the decimal (5 in this example) is the level. Put those into SMCA as required, and add your XY co-ords if necessary.
Thank you, it worked the first time.
Old 25th October 2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Syrex
Catch me smokin' potent

Syrex

How do you adjust the Y Coord?
There isn't an option for one :/

Trippy is, As Trippy Does.
Aspiring Mapper/Scripter
Skype - SyrexPC

Syrex is offline   Reply With Quote