PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > ROM Hack Projects > Ideas, Concepts & WIP

Ideas, Concepts & WIP Got an idea you need some feedback on? Or perhaps you have a concept or WIP hack you would like to show off.

Old 3rd May 2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo
Default Gen II Rombase? What do you think

I've been thinking about putting together a rombase for Gen II that would have the following features so far:

- Remove original scripts and events (optional patch)
- Expand list of map headers to include all beta maps that didn't have one originally (maybe)
- Include a version of Tauwasser's ExTileset Patch
- Modify roof loading routine to allow more tilesets to load the roof graphics if you want them to
- Include gender selection (would use the second Rival class for female trainer sprite, and an unused overworld sprite for her overworld)
- Include additional "special" commands to help with certain tasks
- Include "pickup" for all Gen I and II Pokémon that have it, read from a table instead of hard coded to make life easier when changing Pokémon
- Modify the "Give Pokémon" command to allow the Pokémon ID and/or Level ID to be determined by variables if you set them to 0x00 (otherwise it works normally).

I probably have some other hacks I could apply that people would find useful as well that I would include if I thought of it, and if people are interested. In terms of the "special" commands, here are some that I had in mind to add:
- Check the player's gender
- Check for a Pokémon in the party with a skill (useful for Dive, Rock Climb, Secret Power, etc.)
- Delete previously selected Pokémon from the party (give Pokémon away to NPC)
- Set skill 1 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 2 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 3 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 4 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)

I will update that list as I come up with more specials that would be useful that I think I can figure out how to implement.

If released, credit would go to:
Miksy91
Tauwasser
RED

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:41 PM   #2
MikaruMenoko
Ice Fairy

MikaruMenoko

Cool °-°
Maybe if this gets released, I'll begin to hack gen II.
Old 3rd May 2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Pickup should probably be optional, but I think this would help Gen 2 hackers by a lot by making tons of free space.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 3rd May 2014, 06:26 PM   #4
CrystalMarina
Best in Johto

CrystalMarina

I would use this if you released it Sounds like it would be really helpful!
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

@MikaruMenoko - That would be cool! I know your Gen III hack is nice, so I'm curious to see what you would come up with in Gen II if you got around to it!
@Pia Carrot - If I made Pickup read from a table to see who had it, you could disable pickup by just changing the first entry in the list to FF or whatever I end up using as the "end of table" byte.
@CrystalMarina - Nice!

===================

A couple of other things I could include that I thought of after posting this:

- Include a special to call the clock reset function
- Include specials to disable and enable gaining EXP from battles (for battle tower)

The enable/disable experience is something I haven't figured out yet, but it is on my list of things to find, so I could include those once I figure it out

Likes CrystalMarina liked this post
Old 4th May 2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

This is a good idea but some of the things should be implemented better. For example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo
- Set skill 1 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 2 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 3 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
- Set skill 4 for last Pokémon in party (for special gifts)
could be made to work for any pokemon in party with two parameters defining the party and skill slots.

And what comes to the givePokemon and pickup routines, I don't see a point in including them really. You could make an additional patch for both though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
- Include specials to disable and enable gaining EXP from battles (for battle tower)

The enable/disable experience is something I haven't figured out yet, but it is on my list of things to find, so I could include those once I figure it out
This is pretty easy. I did it in DE to write "00 00 00" to [EXP gain] if the battled Trainer Group was "Simulation" (in Battle Arena). If 0 EXP were received, it called a subroutine that loaded the amount of BP received depending on the Trainer No. of the "Simulation".

I don't remember what I did for this exactly, but it was no way difficult. The only difficult part was coding the routine for giving (summing, making sure exceeding the limit of 9999 wouldn't do any harm etc.) the BP actually

Last edited by Miksy91; 4th May 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Miksy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Mateo liked this post
Old 6th May 2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Chamber
I'm a n00b D:

Chamber

For a long time the web needs a project like this to motivate and facilitate Haking GBC for the new users.

In my native web (WaH), which Mateo and Pia have the pleasure of meeting (and pleasure to have them there too), Im trying to implement a project like this, but without success (we are few hackers with advanced knowledge GBC).

The problem about the expansions are that make the ROM imcompatible with tools, making it difficult to handle for beginners.
Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

I know that MegaMap, JohtoMap, and G2 Map read the pointers to find where the map headers in each bank start, so adding new map headers shouldn't break support for those. No editors currently edit which tilesets load roof graphics anyway so I could write one. By making the new script codes as Specials instead of custom command with their own names, PKSV will still work. I'm trying to come up with things like those that I can expand without breaking tool support.

Which reminds me, I need to release a new version of Pokemon Editor Ultimate with support for additional mini sprites as well as letting you repoint Egg Moves Pokemon can learn through breeding.

Tags
gen, rombase