PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > ROM Hack Projects > Ideas, Concepts & WIP

Ideas, Concepts & WIP Got an idea you need some feedback on? Or perhaps you have a concept or WIP hack you would like to show off.

Closed Thread

Old 27th April 2014, 09:09 AM   #1
tttom64
n00b (true so I won't remove)

tttom64
Default Pokémon Eclipse

Name:Pokémon Eclipse
Base ROM:Pokémon Firered (BPRE)

History
For a long time now I've wanted to create a hack. Basically ever since I was a little kid. So this game has had a history. And the only was to show you that history is with a timeline. So here it is. (Note: I won't be using my age or years or anything, so bear with me while I keep these details within my privacy)

A long time ago: After playing Pokémon Diamond, I fantasize of creating my own game, with its own region. I even make my own crappy little map of it. It is set to the immediate North of the Johto region, and route numbers start with 49, where Johto left off.

I then have a dream with voices telling me: "MAKE YOUR OWN POKEMON GAME, MAKE YOUR OWN POKEMON GAME."
Within a week I hear of the release of Pokémon Black and White, which somewhat disappoints me.

My game is discussed with my friends. We never really got as far as the name of the region in our discussions.

I then start to create my own fakemon. They are so bad that I no longer have records of them. In fact I have given up on fakemon completely.

(A big gap in time where I don't really play Pokémon that much)

Not too long ago: A new craze starts in my school, and what is it? Pokémon! We all play Pokémon Firered and Emerald on our mobile emulators, and we all have a great time. I shine with my superior Pokémon knowledge. (Not really).

One day I come home and I decide to search "How to make your own Pokémon game" on google. And yes, my life changes. I discover ROM hacking, all the other stuff I have discovered since.

I start on my first hack, "Pokémon Narnia". This is because, whenever you walk into your rival's house, you get warped into another map, which was quickly dubbed by my friends "Narnia". In there, you could catch all the legendaries at lv.0. Anyway, it was the stupidest thing ever.

Then, I started on the real stuff. I made a hack using a new region, and as the prophecy stated, made it North of Johto, but with routes starting at 51.
And that's what the rest of this thread is for.

The Idea
So as you all know, this game is set in a region North of Johto. I STILL NEED A GOOD NAME FOR IT, IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ONE THAT WOULD BE MORE THAN BRILLIANT!
The storyline is nothing special, as it basically follows the GameFreak one. I know a lot of people go into a lot of trouble to make 'special hacks' that have a different sort of storyline and stuff, where you start off in team Rocket, or you are chased by zombies. But from experience of playing these games myself, I find that the classic storyline works best. With a few tweaks of course, like:
  • Plane hijackings!
  • Post-game regions!
  • Going to the moon!
  • Um...Narnia?
Sorry guys, you all know how hopeless I am. This is why I'm putting this up here, to get help.

Characters
YOU!
You start in a little town in a new region and you go to the professor blah blahblah....

Jason
This guy is your 'Friend Rival'. He always wants to fight you, but he is a nice guy amd not the best at battling. He is young, funny and energetic.

Named Rival
Now this guy is mysterious. He is a promising trainer, amd apparently bound to become to be the champion. You meet him halfway through the game, so he's not actually implemented yet.

Professor Alder
Yeah blah blah blah professor.

Team Solar
They want to destroy the moon so that the Sun will have total control over the world, so the tides, calendars, god worship, and everything else will revolve around the sun. They think that team Lunar are a bunch of lunatics (haha?) that don't know what they are doing. Did I mention they worship the sun?

Team Lunar
They believe that all Pokémon came from the moon, so they want to drill into its core where they believe they will have everything they need to create their own Pokémon. Screw GameFreak! They think that the Solar hooligans are out of their minds, but they're sure that they're not a real threat.

More
I haven't really progressed far in the way of storyline, so there may he many more characters to come later on.

Screenshots (BIG!)
Spoiler:

PLEASE NOTE: Many tiles, maps, and palettes are temporary. Some may even be outdated. So please don't comment on them. In fact, please don't comment on anything. Uh, I don't know.

Features
This isn't meant to be a completely different game or have too many features, but there are some tweaks and additions to the game:
  • Well, I can't think of any... I only have a new storyline, region, maps, scripts, etc...

Planned features (not implemented yet)
  • 9 fakemon, which will be the starters. I know some people hate fakemon and these will hopefully be the only ones. If you hate them, put them in the PC box and catch something else. (Can't sprite, and have trouble editing Pokémon because of lack of Hex Editing knowledge)
  • Berry shops (Not even a good idea so I can't be bothered)
  • Better movesets (not really important and can't be bothered)
  • Extra regions....? (Not a priority. I should finish the first one first!)
  • NOT a DNS, because I find that they always ruin the game when it's night-time. (I mean, I can't see anything)
  • Dive (Not really necessary, my game won't have that many sea routes)

Erm, ok, ignore the two sections above this. It shows I need more people to help me add more stuff in.

Bugs/glitches
Well... it would take a while to do this, so I won't.

FAQ
Spoiler:

Can I beta test your game?
Maybe. If there's a download link, yes. Not, then no.

Your game sucks!
Ok, move on to the next thread.

I don't like your pallets!
I would prefer could you change your pallets?

Can I help with your game?
Well, I'm not really prepared for this question. Maybe.

When will this be finished?
Well, last year I said this year, and this year I say next year.

Where did you get the name from?
Someone else came up with it (for me) but he didn't have to think very hard to do so.

Why did you follow GameFreak's storyline style? I hate it!
This is just me, but I find it works best. To drastically change the way the game works would be to take a big risk. So far I haven't played a single good hack that has a unique storyline. The ones I have played with the generic storylines I find suprisiingly good, and most enjoyable to play. But that's just me.

Progress so far
  • Some kind of lame excuse for a storyline up to 1st gym.
  • Playability up to 3rd gym.
  • A few more routes after that.

In other words:
Maps:30%
Scripts:10%
Graphics:5%
Music:0%

Help Needed!
I will make a team dev. thread later if this gets attention.

Because I can't sprite, I need a spriter. A spriter for EVERYTHING! OWs, mons, trainers, icons, anything.

I also still haven't got round learning to HEX edit, and I'm really short if time these days. I've found that most advanced hacking revolves around this, so until I learn it, none of this stuff can really happen.

Download
Here it is. This isn't for you to beta test. I already have some beta testers and I'm aware of most of the bugs in the game. I need you guys to comment on the other stuff, like the mapping, scripting and tiles. Be gentle though, because I'm sensitive.

Credits
The first person I need to thank is PurpleSonik, for teaching me how to hack. Unfortunately, his YouTube account has practically been deleted, so he has disappeared from the internet.

The next is WesleyFG. Everyone says it's noobish to use his tiles, but I used his tiles. Sorry. I just can't sprite.

Then there are the countless of other people who made tutorials, programs and resources. I can't name them, nor can I thank them enough.

And finally, if I've left something out, anywhere on this thread, please tell me. And If you've made it this far, I commend you. I don't think many people would actually want to read all of this stuff.

Last edited by tttom64; 12th May 2014 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th April 2014, 09:43 AM   #2
Xanathos
What does this button do?.....

Xanathos

looks interesting =)
Old 27th April 2014, 11:09 AM   #3
MikaruMenoko
Ice Fairy

MikaruMenoko

A good name for the region can be Tohoku or Chubu, just look at this Map =)
Spoiler:
Old 28th April 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
tttom64

tttom64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaruMenoko View Post
A good name for the region can be Tohoku or Chubu, just look at this Map =)
Spoiler:

Thanks, I'm using Tohoku as the post-game region, but Chubu lacks an 'O'. So I'll have to use something else. Chobu, Chubo, Chobo, Chobi, Chibo, hmm....

http://pokemonhackersonline.com/show...ok-mon-Eclipse
Old 1st May 2014, 11:16 AM   #5
exoran
FOR AMPHAROS!!!!

exoran

looks very promising! cant wait to play the first release!
Old 6th May 2014, 10:26 AM   #6
tttom64

tttom64

There is now a link to the patch if anyone wants it. But as it says, don't beta test it. I just need feedback on the scripts, palettes, tiles and maps.
Old 18th May 2014, 01:38 AM   #7
mastamilo657
TurquoiseBlue and NavyBlue

mastamilo657

I actually had almost the same inspiration for my hack. When I was like 8 or whatever and played Platinum, I really wanted to make my own Pokemon game with my own region and pokemon. Unfortunatly, I knew nothing about hacking. I didn't start hacking until 4 years after that. Now, I enjoy hacking and I wish I knew about it back then. Also, when I played Heartgold, I used to skip every trainer and my pokemon were only lv 30 when I reached the elite four, so I ended up ragequitting the game but I just told everybody I was "too old" for Pokemon. It was only last year when I got back into the series by playing Firered again on my phone.

Anyway, this hack looks very cool so far. Based on the world map, the region looks cool and unique. It looks very different. I cannot edit world maps at all so that definatly looks impressive. Good luck on the hack!

Old 28th April 2015, 12:30 AM   #8
trioteam
n00b

trioteam
Thumbs up I would like to help! :D

I do a lot of spriting and already have some fake Pokemon, although the problem is they are b2/w2 sprites and are .Jpg/.png. If you can figure out how to put those in the game, then I'm in!

https://cdn2.scratch.mit.edu/get_ima...=1420229476.98 (A friend drew the Dream-world picture )
Old 28th April 2015, 05:02 AM   #9
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

@trioteam, please don't revive threads that are over a month old. This thread has not seen a post for almost a year. @tttom64, if you want this thread re-opened, feel free to VM or PM me or the section moderator and this thread can be re-opened.

Closed.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Closed Thread

Tags
eclipse, pokemon, [GBA]