PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 26th October 2012, 03:54 PM   #1
RHO Informer
n00b

RHO Informer is on a distinguished road
Default Hack Review: Pokémon Light Platinum

Pokémon Light Platinum by WesleyFG. This hack is far too overrated and tends to be judged on its graphics more than anything else, but despite the rather…obnoxious stigma that this hack holds (on both sides ? its fanbase and its haters are equally annoying in my opinion), I have to credit Wesley’s tenacity on this hack.

Being a hack of Ruby, a base that is normally not used due to its undesirable graphics, the overhaul that Wesley did to the ROM’s graphics, from the item menu to the Professor Birch (well, Professor Jasmine) introduction, is consistent and very pleasing to the eyes.

The scripting is pretty solid, there isn’t much amazing ASM but that doesn’t hinder the enjoyability of the game. I admit that the reintroduction of characters like Red, Kenta (Ethan/Gold), Solana, Lunick, Diamond, Yellow AND Silver is overkill and they seem to only be introduced as a fan service and to make the hack more epic. I really dislike this gimmick in hacks as it destroys the believability and shows a lack of unoriginality.

The English translation by Snakebyte is stellar, and so is the beautiful music composed by giradialkia (shameless plug for my bro, check out his Soundcloud here and tell him he’s a beautiful man). The story isn’t particularly amazing but its a nice change from the standard stories in Pokémon, yet still retains that Pokémon feel.

Constantly in the battle to win Hack of the Year, I think Light Platinum is a commendable hack and is deserving of the reward, though I do think both the hate and praise its given are over exaggerations. Regardless, this is a solid hack and I recommend you play it (just, try not to instigate more flame wars over this hack).
Click me to visit Light Platinum’s Pok?Community Forums thread

View this post on the PHO Main Site...

Tags
hack, light, platinum, pokemon, review