PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 24th April 2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Green Charizard
PHO Founder
FounderPHO VIP

Green Charizard
Default EZ Flash IV Glazed saving issues

Hello all, long time no see!

I'm here in search of some expertise. I recently purchased an EZ Flash IV GBA flash cart. One of the games that I have been very keen to play on it is Pokemon Glazed.

So I followed the usual suggestions and used the EZ4_Client to do the SRAM patch and to create a dummy save file.

On trying to boot the ROM I got the PSRAM is not enough message, and, with a bit more research - realised I needed to press select to write it to the NOR.

Having written it to the NOR, the game starts as expected, "Internal battery has run dry" message pops up, as expected, as there is no RTC. But that's fine. (I'm assuming this does not relate to the saving issues I'm about to explain? I'm yet to try Gamer2020's RTC fix as saving is obviously a priority) The first save goes fine. I switch the console back on again, it writes the save to the SD and loads it back up again - no problems... yet.

Now the curious part, on the next save it appears successful, I reboot, it writes the save to the SD card. I load the game and get the "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage" and it chucks me out in to the NEW GAME screen.

So... a bit more research ensues. I stumble upon AmineX's thread at PC, on how to reduce the save size to 64K with a hex editor (Pokemon games use a 128K save... effectively saves, a normal and a backup save which proves to be problematic for this cart).

This seems to work. I still get the "The save file has been erased..." message however it loads up the old save all the same. However, it does a strange thing to the flags in the game. Certain scripts trigger when they shouldn't, others do not when they should. Rendering the game unplayable.

At this point, I've hit a bit of a wall as to what to do. I'm aware of Emerald's corruption-y reputation, which is the base for Glazed. So I'd really welcome any thoughts. I also wanted to be as descriptive as possible as to what I've tried for others searching for this, it might help as a list of things not to try!

Thanks in advance

Other things I've tried:
-SRAM patching through GBATA http://www.no-intro.org/tools.htm
-Putting the ROM through EZ4_Client after AmineX's save hack, and also just dropping it on the SD without using EZ4_Client (But still creating a dummy '.sav'.)
-Trimming the ROM manually in a hex editor before processing through EZ4_Client.
-ezgba v0.2.0a-2 is a welcome tool, but likewise no success https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-...atcher.395464/
- There are other tools to patch the SRAM available, but they long since seem to have disappeared off the internet.
- I've also seen the Sky0fblades Stablizing tutorial, but I'm not necessarily sure if this translates to saving stability / how to go about this using a hack as a base (that presumably has already been made unstable) http://romhackersonline.com/showthre...ing-Corruption
Old 26th April 2016, 02:43 AM   #2
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

I don't know for sure because I've never even looked at that game but I'm guessing it might be that the save expansion hack installed on it isn't the flast cart compatible one.

Tags
flash, glazed, issues, saving