PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

View Poll Results: What do you, the community, like?
I like PHO 10 66.67%
I like RHO 1 6.67%
I like both 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th October 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
AriNikoBradshaw
Greetings.

AriNikoBradshaw
Smile Why not change the name back to PHO?

Currently the forum we are all currently on is called "ROM Hackers Online." In the past this forum was called "Pokémon Hackers Online." The change was brought about as one of many reboots this site has received over the years in order to "boost" activity after years of gradual loss of activity and the constant comparisons to other "superior" forums. The reboots and name changes have not helped the forum at all, so why do we keep this name?

PHO is a more iconic and nostalgic name that many older hackers recognize--plus it puts the focus back on Pokémon. Now while this doesn't emphasize every console and every game (not like there are many non-Poké games anyway) it does have a specific focus and drives people to join and comment based not only on the fact that the forum is a hacking board but that it is also an area for Pokémon-related discussion.

I just want to hear the thoughts from the rest of the community. The domain for PokemonHackersOnline.com expires in 5 days, and LaZ will only renew the domain if there is significant demand for the restoration of PHO over RHO.

Thanks,
~Ari
Old 6th October 2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

The main reason we went general like this, was because we knew there were far too many Pokémon hacking sites to contend with (WAH, PC, etc etc), so we went general and all-inclusive as to not exclude any one console or game. It seems we're still attracting a general Pokémon audience, though.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 04:18 PM   #3
AriNikoBradshaw
Greetings.

AriNikoBradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
The main reason we went general like this, was because we knew there were far too many Pokémon hacking sites to contend with (WAH, PC, etc etc), so we went general and all-inclusive as to not exclude any one console or game. It seems we're still attracting a general Pokémon audience, though.
Why of course we are--hell a Pokéball is in the logo! The focus has been "general hacking" for about a year now but we still don't have much general hacking content. All we're doing is making the forum too big and too daunting. The less broad we are, the more focused we are. There still isn't an English Pokémon hacking-only forum, PC has all the other sections that none of us visit, and WAH is in Spanish. So even now we're the only relatively close forum to that.
Old 6th October 2013, 04:33 PM   #4
mewthree9000
What does this button do?.....

mewthree9000 mewthree9000
Exclamation

Let me say what I keep saying. This has been my mindset on the whole matter for 3-4 years, maybe even since the TAN message-board was destroyed. Pokemon Hackers need a focused community to inspire them. If you ever hope to rival the only big bad ditto ****** that is PokeCommunity then you need something that will appeal to Pokemon Fans. If the focus isn't there, you are only attracting an emulation fan-base. That is great and all, but it isn't going to help the Pokemon Hacking Community at all. It's like fishing with a speaker, Pokemon Hackers don't care about general emulation, they're just trying to Catch'em all!

We need to be a site geared towards the community we're trying to affect. My goal is to inspire the Pokemon Hackers. I grew up a Pokemon Hacker and the community means a lot to me. I want it to be productive and fun. Pokemon Hacking without the heart of Pokemon is just pointless.

I see what RHO is trying to accomplish, and that is awesome. I appreciate that, and I encourage you to stay the way you are if that is working. I believe that RHO needs to exist regardless, but a good pokemon hacking community needs to exist as well.

Also if you love PokeCommunity, I have no bad feelings towards PokeCommunity, I just don't think it's working. IF PKMN Hacking is going to progress, we need to take it seriously, and see that 98% of the 'hackers' on PC don't actually hack.
PC does not work as a RH community.
mewthree9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewthree9000 View Post
Let me say what I keep saying. This has been my mindset on the whole matter for 3-4 years, maybe even since the TAN message-board was destroyed. Pokemon Hackers need a focused community to inspire them. If you ever hope to rival the only big bad ditto ****** that is PokeCommunity then you need something that will appeal to Pokemon Fans. If the focus isn't there, you are only attracting an emulation fan-base. That is great and all, but it isn't going to help the Pokemon Hacking Community at all. It's like fishing with a speaker, Pokemon Hackers don't care about general emulation, they're just trying to Catch'em all!

We need to be a site geared towards the community we're trying to affect. My goal is to inspire the Pokemon Hackers. I grew up a Pokemon Hacker and the community means a lot to me. I want it to be productive and fun. Pokemon Hacking without the heart of Pokemon is just pointless.

I see what RHO is trying to accomplish, and that is awesome. I appreciate that, and I encourage you to stay the way you are if that is working. I believe that RHO needs to exist regardless, but a good pokemon hacking community needs to exist as well.

Also if you love PokeCommunity, I have no bad feelings towards PokeCommunity, I just don't think it's working. IF PKMN Hacking is going to progress, we need to take it seriously, and see that 98% of the 'hackers' on PC don't actually hack.
PC does not work as a RH community.

When Kristian proposed we change the name back last night, I wasn't quite sure and I needed time to think about it. I think as a Pokemon-centered forum that welcomes different content, but does not sponsor it, would work best. I genuinely think this forum can become the go-to place for actual hackers if we pull it off.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
I genuinely think this forum can become the go-to place for actual hackers if we pull it off.
It's like that a lot here. "If" something can be done. Thing is, we try different things, but the userbase doesn't back us up (Not that I'm blaming the general userbase). We implement ideas, and they die fast. We need content, and a reason for people to come here. If they don't have a reason, they won't come. If there's something we can offer that other sites cannot, that can give us an edge.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
It's like that a lot here. "If" something can be done. Thing is, we try different things, but the userbase doesn't back us up (Not that I'm blaming the general userbase). We implement ideas, and they die fast. We need content, and a reason for people to come here. If they don't have a reason, they won't come. If there's something we can offer that other sites cannot, that can give us an edge.
And I've brought this up before, through awful updates and bad content, like an MMO everyone knows I play, the forum has died. It will never go back to the way it was unless we continue to try to fix it.

XenForo is not the answer, and neither are gimmicks.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 04:59 PM   #8
Full Metal ★
Unstable?
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Full Metal ★ Full Metal ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
When Kristian proposed we change the name back last night, I wasn't quite sure and I needed time to think about it. I think as a Pokemon-centered forum that welcomes different content, but does not sponsor it, would work best. I genuinely think this forum can become the go-to place for actual hackers if we pull it off.
The bold represents my stance as well.

★ full metal.

#busy
Full Metal ★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Aljam liked this post
Old 6th October 2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Jisuke
私の陰茎は非常に大きい
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Jisuke Jisuke

I believe all we need right now is to start the ball rolling, but nobody wants to be the first.
Jisuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 05:28 PM   #10
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Maybe I'm being stupid but I really do want to help but I don't know how to help. Do you mean, like making hacks and stuff? Because if that's the case I'll do it as much as I can (given my general work ethic yeah).

yes it is

Tags
back, change, pho