PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

View Poll Results: What do you, the community, like?
I like PHO 10 66.67%
I like RHO 1 6.67%
I like both 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th October 2013, 07:14 PM   #21
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNikoBradshaw View Post
But we need to encourage learning and--before attracting the newbies--attempt to attract the pros and experienced hackers.
We do have a Q&A section, but nobody seems to be attracted to it. Maybe something renamed to the extent of "NEWBIES GO HERE FIRST" would make it a lot more visible and thus this site more attractive to newbies who don't know anything about hacking.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
But we need to encourage learning and--before attracting the newbies--attempt to attract the pros and experienced hackers.
Of course. When I said stick to what we know and enjoy, I most specifically meant Pokémon. Even though I stuck to Gen II (because that's my favorite Gen) I still try to learn more about it. I just meant it would be hard to attract people hacking Sonic or Mario if we primarily cared about Pokémon.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 07:19 PM   #23
AriNikoBradshaw
Greetings.

AriNikoBradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Of course. When I said stick to what we know and enjoy, I most specifically meant Pokémon. Even though I stuck to Gen II (because that's my favorite Gen) I still try to learn more about it. I just meant it would be hard to attract people hacking Sonic or Mario if we primarily cared about Pokémon.
Why do we have to attract the Sonic and Mario hackers if we focus on Pokémon hacks? Sure people can come and make hacks for them, but we have already tried attracting them and failed. Better to fit our niche than to expand to theirs.
Old 6th October 2013, 07:20 PM   #24
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Why do we have to attract the Sonic and Mario hackers if we focus on Pokémon hacks? Sure people can come and make hacks for them, but we have already tried attracting them and failed. Better to fit our niche than to expand to theirs.
Yes. That was my point. My point was that we aren't going to and we shouldn't feel like we have to. That's why I voted for going back to PHO instead of trying to be a general romhacking community.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2013, 07:22 PM   #25
AriNikoBradshaw
Greetings.

AriNikoBradshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
Yes. That was my point. My point was that we aren't going to and we shouldn't feel like we have to. That's why I voted for going back to PHO instead of trying to be a general romhacking community.
Ah okay I suppose I was rather confused :P
Old 6th October 2013, 10:25 PM   #26
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

Just a quick update on this situation, in case people havent noticed various changes around the forum taking place. Here's a few:
  • Change with the staff, if you want to see take a look at showgroups.php
  • Tweaked forum layout, we've made things smaller and more easy to use
  • Less style: since we transition back into PHO we removed some styles
  • New domain: you can browse the site now on www.pokemonhackersonline.com

An in depth announcement will be made shortly about all this with more info and where we're going with it all.

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Team Fail, Aljam, Elsa, Mateo liked this post
Old 7th October 2013, 12:59 AM   #27
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

So are we keeping both domains or switch now and RHO will fade off later?

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 01:03 AM   #28
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka View Post
So are we keeping both domains or switch now and RHO will fade off later?
I'm assuming RHO will go when LaZ runs out of money
Old 7th October 2013, 03:25 AM   #29
PEDRO12
mother of dragons
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

PEDRO12

Just to clear things up, there is a lot of change going on. We've actually been talking about doing this for a while now, but today after some pretty intense debates, we decided it was time to light the fuse, so to speak. As Kristian has pointed out, many changes have been made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkandzelda View Post
Just a quick update on this situation, in case people havent noticed various changes around the forum taking place. Here's a few:
  • Change with the staff, if you want to see take a look at showgroups.php
  • Tweaked forum layout, we've made things smaller and more easy to use
  • Less style: since we transition back into PHO we removed some styles
  • New domain: you can browse the site now on www.pokemonhackersonline.com

An in depth announcement will be made shortly about all this with more info and where we're going with it all.
We still have ways to go before this shift is complete, so here are some things you can expect in the near future:
  • Domain: The old domain will soon redirect to pokemonhackersonline.com. We still have a few tweaks to make (or more like Kristian has a few tweaks to make).
  • Rules, stickies and spam: We have lots of content and threads to either move, delete, stick, or create. The forums have been quite loose lately and we have some cleaning up to do, so expect that to be done in the very near future.
  • Styles: Let me be clear, these are no where near priority status at the time. However, because of the name change, we had to hide/remove most of the skins. Black 2 and PHO 2007: Reimagined will need some tweaking as they were never actually completed. I'll be doing that soon. You can expect a few more skins in the near future, skins I've been planning for a while, but not until we get all the important stuff out of the way.
  • Branching out: We're going to be discussing how we can branch out, as mentioned above, into different property hacks. Mario/Sonic/etc hacks will soon be welcomed in a designated area within the forums. Alternatively, we might just allow them within the same sub-forum as all the other hacks. We're currently discussing this matter.
  • Staff: Laying off the staff was a difficult decision. There was a lot of drama regarding whether or not we should have done this, and the administrative team responsible for the decision (Linkandzelda, Team Fail, Pia Carrot, and myself) were split between those who supported the change and those who didn't. In the end we decided to go through with it, and decided that as activity began to pick up, we would start hiring again. Don't expect this anytime soon, however.
  • Getting the word out: We have a couple ideas being thrown around at the moment, but rest assured that something is being done to get PHO back on its feet and kicking in no time at all!

An announcement thread will be posted as soon as we're far enough into the change to warrant one. Hope you'll enjoy the, err, show. >_>

EDIT: I'd also appreciate it if you guys would keep discussion in this thread on-topic! Thank you.
PEDRO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2013, 04:25 AM   #30
Aljam
Style Administrator
Style AdminstratorPHO VIP

Aljam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
Just to clear things up, there is a lot of change going on. We've actually been talking about doing this for a while now, but today after some pretty intense debates, we decided it was time to light the fuse, so to speak. As Kristian has pointed out, many changes have been made:

We still have ways to go before this shift is complete, so here are some things you can expect in the near future:
  • Domain: The old domain will soon redirect to pokemonhackersonline.com. We still have a few tweaks to make (or more like Kristian has a few tweaks to make).
  • Rules, stickies and spam: We have lots of content and threads to either move, delete, stick, or create. The forums have been quite loose lately and we have some cleaning up to do, so expect that to be done in the very near future.
  • Styles: Let me be clear, these are no where near priority status at the time. However, because of the name change, we had to hide/remove most of the skins. Black 2 and PHO 2007: Reimagined will need some tweaking as they were never actually completed. I'll be doing that soon. You can expect a few more skins in the near future, skins I've been planning for a while, but not until we get all the important stuff out of the way.
  • Branching out: We're going to be discussing how we can branch out, as mentioned above, into different property hacks. Mario/Sonic/etc hacks will soon be welcomed in a designated area within the forums. Alternatively, we might just allow them within the same sub-forum as all the other hacks. We're currently discussing this matter.
  • Staff: Laying off the staff was a difficult decision. There was a lot of drama regarding whether or not we should have done this, and the administrative team responsible for the decision (Linkandzelda, Team Fail, Pia Carrot, and myself) were split between those who supported the change and those who didn't. In the end we decided to go through with it, and decided that as activity began to pick up, we would start hiring again. Don't expect this anytime soon, however.
  • Getting the word out: We have a couple ideas being thrown around at the moment, but rest assured that something is being done to get PHO back on its feet and kicking in no time at all!

An announcement thread will be posted as soon as we're far enough into the change to warrant one. Hope you'll enjoy the, err, show. >_>

EDIT: I'd also appreciate it if you guys would keep discussion in this thread on-topic! Thank you.
That's good, PHO can finally feel like PHO again. I think we should keep them all in the same sub section until we start getting an abundance of other game hacks. When it actually needs a subforum of it's own, it should get it.

Styles wise, I could make a new style if there is a need for one. My only problem is that I would have to set up the copy of vb that I have, and I'd need a host or dual boot linux and I don't have a plan to install linux just yet.

Staff drama is always a pain in the ass and I know how hard it is to get everyone on the same page on what you want the site to be. Hopefully in the future the staff should be strengthened and we actually have a need for moderators.

By getting the word out, we could do some stuff like we used to do like a weekly news post and special content only available on pho. There should be a vote system in the tutorials, hacks, and resource and documents section where users can rank posts, then at the end of the week the top thread get's a feature in our article. There should be some sort of tools and resources page that categorizes tools and resources based off of each gen and type of tool similar to http://dev.bukkit.org/categories/.
Aljam is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes PEDRO12 liked this post

Tags
back, change, pho