PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Feel like chilling and talking about random stuff? General Discussion is the place for you!

Old 19th January 2013, 01:44 AM   #21
Green Charizard
PHO Founder
FounderPHO VIP

Green Charizard

I love this thread, it's marvellous. I've logged in to say how touched I was to see the Charizard, Spheal and Treecko at the bottom. Blimey, does anyone remember me?

I guess it wise to contribute my two cents to this (darn internet - it's made me americanised). PHO is about 7 years old now. That's frightening, because it makes the site old and me old too. If only the 14 year old me could see my bearded University-self now. Anyway, enough personal reflection - this is about the site!

I was good friends with Vince (TreeckoLv.100) and Christos in MSN days of old, friendships forged in PokeCommunity's ROM hacking area. Long connoisseurs of the fine WAH http://wahackpokemon.com/ by means of Google translator, we thought there was definitely a gap for an English ROM Hacking site. We were right. We had modest beginnings. A tacky three-column-badly-coded layout with a bulbasaur at the top on byethost's free hosting.

We actually then got bought a domain name and hosting as a gift, by someone who later tried to pull the sites strings a little too much after a few months - so we told him what he could do with his domain name and our 14 year old selves got back to work on our old cheapo site.

Over subsequent years the tale has pretty much been told, I can't thank Pascal enough for his work keeping the site in existence.And anyone who's ever moderated or worked here. I won't name anyone for fear of forgetting.

This is worth a look:
http://web.archive.org/web/200807071...//pho.xpt.net/
http://web.archive.org/web/201102072...ersonline.com/

But it's grand to see the site in this new iteration. You're the new generation!

My wishes to all of you. To times to come!
Green Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19th January 2013, 02:19 AM   #22
Goldie

Goldie is on a distinguished road

This is a cool thing, makes the memories come flowing back :'), I had a good time on PHO/PCF and I'm glad it's still a thing. Also yes vB4 is terrible lol.
Old 19th January 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

It was certainly not easy getting here, but we managed. Although I agree - VB4 sucks. Back when we were TPB in VB4 and I was literally the sole admin, one small unmade decision brought us here. Not that it was a bad thing, mind you.

Here's to many more, guys!

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 04:54 PM   #24
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Charizard View Post
Over subsequent years the tale has pretty much been told, I can't thank Pascal enough for his work keeping the site in existence.And anyone who's ever moderated or worked here. I won't name anyone for fear of forgetting.
I live for Pascal. It really was a shame to see him go :(

After working with PHO for over a year now, it really has changed in many ways, both good and bad. Hacking has changed considerably, and we have a lot of dead content, but I'm sure it'll be a safe haven for hackers and game devs in the future.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 06:47 PM   #25
Shiny Quagsire
Super Awesome Ninja ASM Guy
PHO VIP

Shiny Quagsire

I remember when I joined around 2008-2009ish, PHO still had the three column news page, and the forums were actually called "PHO". I was such a newb back then. I actually found this picture of my "hack" on my Photobucket:
Spoiler:

Lol, my mapping sucked back then. Such a difference now:
Spoiler:

I was active for several months, then I got inactive, and the forums had to reboot to "4.0." That's when I started getting good at hacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
(aka the time TPB became fun)
Ah, good times. Good times. I remember it, there was always somebody asking for help, new tools coming out, new hacks that looked pretty friggin awesome (Pokemon Gray anyone?) Everyone was nice, people actually got banned. RomHackTube was just blooming. It was a good time. Then between PokeCascade and Petalburg Woods and all that stuff, I left. And now I'm back, and I haven't regretted it since.

My Works:

Coming Soon/Working On:
  • Pokemon Amethyst
  • ?Using HMs via Items?
  • Custom GUIs using ASM (and soon) C

Shiny Quagsire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 07:19 PM   #26
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey

Pokemon Gray was delicious.

The reboot made the forum a sorry state of affairs, but we managed to pull through and here we are today - alive and strong. The friends we have made and shared, the hacks we enjoyed, the forum we used...

This is a community I would be lost without. Long live RHO.
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 11:39 PM   #27
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Astar was my first pair ever on any forum x) Miss that guy :,D
I was one of his first beta testers for Pokémon Gray. He had some cool ASM so the screen would become achromatic for a "past" cutscene.
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 11:54 PM   #28
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEN View Post
Astar was my first pair ever on any forum x) Miss that guy :,D
I was one of his first beta testers for Pokémon Gray. He had some cool ASM so the screen would become achromatic for a "past" cutscene.
And people thought he misspelled "tag" in that cutscene.

Last edited by Icey; 22nd January 2013 at 04:14 PM.
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:12 AM   #29
SSJ4 Furanki
Neophyte

SSJ4 Furanki

Wow, I still remember those old days. That seems like it wasn't that long ago; but, it has been.
SSJ4 Furanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:31 PM   #30
Daru
FREE DARU
Ex-Staff

Daru

i liked the part when i started the downfall of pcf

**** thorne

I mod the Smogon Forums. If you have any questions, you can VM me!

Last edited by Team Fail; 23rd January 2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: future post contained censored word, so making sure it's censored for everyone.
Daru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pho, story