PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Homebrew & Coding > Coding Discussion

Coding Discussion Discuss programming and coding and get help here.

Old 19th June 2014, 11:14 PM   #1
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21
Default PGE in PlayOnLinux

I have started developing my own Pokemon hack (because, at the time,it sounded fun, and would also provide something for me to test what I have learned about programming on. It is something I have been thinking about for two or three months), and already (mostly) know how to make the maps, but I am still trying to learn how to script. This brings me to my problem: I run a Linux system (Fedora 20), and all of the hacking programs I can find or in, you guessed it, Windows.

Most of the programs (AdvanceMap, PKSV, and a few emulators) work through Wine. However, most of the tutorials I have seen are either for XSE or can only be done on a Windows system. Sadly, XSE refuses to work under Wine or in PlayOnLinux, and the most in-depth tutorial I found also requires a program called GBA Pokemon Game Editor. The .msi file installs normally, but thats where it ends. When I run it in Wine, the applications installed by it refuse to work (since Wine can't open .lnk files). When I run the installer in PlayOnLinux, it gets past the .lnk files, but complains about a "bad .exe." Upon running it in Wine 1.35, it gets past that, only to complain about the .exe it was originally complaining about doesn't even exist.

What I would like to know is if there is an alternative way to run PGE in Linux, or if there is another good tutorial for scripting in Gen III Pokemon Games (I found a site that had tutorials for it using PKSV, but these only lay down the basics, which won't help me really do anything I need to in my Pokemon hack).
TNTftw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 19th June 2014, 11:16 PM   #2
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21

Also, I am sorry if I made my self unclear, so please ask for more information (being specific, of course) instead of getting mad at me.
Old 24th August 2014, 08:08 AM   #3
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

If you would like help with this please send me a private message. I currently working on making PGE Linux compatible.

Also I stopped releasing PGE as installer at least a year ago probably longer so you are trying an old version.

*Edit*

I've done some work on getting PGE to work on Linux. The version you have won't work, download the new one when it is out.

Last edited by Gamer2020; 1st September 2014 at 06:20 PM.
Gamer2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
cosarara
Programming and asdf

cosarara

Hey, a few years ago I found myself in the same situation you are now, so I started coding to fix the situation a bit.
The worse offender is of course XSE, which wouldn't work on wine no matter what I tried. PKSV does the job just fine, though, and is a better program IMO. Even so, if you want something native, as I do, you can use Red Alien (formerly ASC), an alternative I created. It is mostly compatible with xse and pksv, and will use pksv's command names when decompiling (sorry I don't capitalize, typing on mobile sucks). It also has a command line version as well as the GUI, so you can use it in a unix-like development environment
All you need to care about when following an xse tutorial with pksv really is the differences between command names and XSE's msgbox+callstd macro.
As for map editing, Advance Map works pretty nicely on wine, but I started working on an open source cross-platform alternative anyway (Blue Spider), and so did the author of MEH - both are open source and work on linux (well, I haven't had the time to test MEH, actually, but it should, plus it looks better than mine already =P).
On the graphics side, NLZ Advance works on mono, unlz gba works on wine and tile molester is java IIRC.
VBA-SDL-H works natively on linux (I have a fork on github which compiles with today's libs), and the wx gui of vbam has all the features of the win32 version, I think.

Now, since I haven't posted my tools in this forum, I'll leave a link to my website where you can find better descriptions, screenshots and download links (I hope nobody will call this spam; it's completely relevant and I don't even have ads on the site): http://www.cosarara.me

Last edited by cosarara; 7th September 2014 at 11:00 PM.
cosarara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2014, 08:40 PM   #5
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21

Thanks for your responses. I will look into your suggestions immediately, but I still look forward to PGE on Linux.
Old 18th September 2014, 08:50 PM   #6
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21

cosarara, your link doesn't seem to work. I'll try googling you to see if it comes up.

**EDIT**
I got the website to work, getting ready to check out your tools and such. Everyone keep up the good work!

Last edited by TNTftw21; 18th September 2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 18th September 2014, 08:56 PM   #7
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21

Also, I found the actual PGE.zip file, and it works normally (thus far, haven't had it open very long). However, I can't get Red Alien to install using setup.py (It keeps saying that there is a non-ASCII character but no encoding was specified. It does this with Blue Spider and Red Alien), is there something else I should run?

Last edited by TNTftw21; 18th September 2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 18th September 2014, 09:33 PM   #8
cosarara
Programming and asdf

cosarara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTftw21 View Post
Also, I found the actual PGE.zip file, and it works normally (thus far, haven't had it open very long). However, I can't get Red Alien to install using setup.py (It keeps saying that there is a non-ASCII character but no encoding was specified. It does this with Blue Spider and Red Alien), is there something else I should run?
Smells python 2 vs python 3 thing. Try executing directly (./setup.py install) or with python3 instead of just python. Arch set python 3 as the default some time ago, while debian and others keep python 2 as the default.
Old 18th September 2014, 10:26 PM   #9
TNTftw21
Neophyte

TNTftw21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosarara View Post
Smells python 2 vs python 3 thing. Try executing directly (./setup.py install) or with python3 instead of just python. Arch set python 3 as the default some time ago, while debian and others keep python 2 as the default.
Thanks, I'll try that. If it helps any, I run Fedora 20 (noticing that you mentioned Arch and Debian).

**UPDATE**

It worked, but I can't get either asc- script to work. It comes back saying that there is no PyQt4 module, even though I have it installed and fully updated.Does it require the 32-bit version?

Exact output:

Code:
[((omitted))@localhost red-alien-master]$ asc-cli
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/asc-cli", line 3, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/asc/asc.py", line 772, in main
    raise Exception("Error. Run with --help for more info.")
Exception: Error. Run with --help for more info.
[((omitted))@localhost red-alien-master]$ asc-qt
  File "/usr/bin/asc-qt", line 2, in <module>
    from asc.asc_qt import main
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/asc/asc_qt.py", line 4, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import Qt, QtCore, QtGui
ImportError: No module named 'PyQt4'
**UPDATE 2**

The 32-bit library also failed. I also tried to rebuild it, and it says that, since there is no cx-Freeze, it has to get distutils, which git then throws an error over.

**UPDATE 3**

After checking the wine_loader directory, I tried to run loader.exe, but that failed as well.

Last edited by TNTftw21; 19th September 2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 19th September 2014, 07:46 AM   #10
cosarara
Programming and asdf

cosarara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTftw21 View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. If it helps any, I run Fedora 20 (noticing that you mentioned Arch and Debian).

**UPDATE**

It worked, but I can't get either asc- script to work. It comes back saying that there is no PyQt4 module, even though I have it installed and fully updated.Does it require the 32-bit version?

Exact output:

Code:
[((omitted))@localhost red-alien-master]$ asc-cli
  File "/usr/bin/asc-cli", line 3, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/asc/asc.py", line 772, in main
    raise Exception("Error. Run with --help for more info.")
Exception: Error. Run with --help for more info.
[((omitted))@localhost red-alien-master]$ asc-qt
  File "/usr/bin/asc-qt", line 2, in <module>
    from asc.asc_qt import main
  File "/usr/lib/python3.3/site-packages/asc/asc_qt.py", line 4, in <module>
    from PyQt4 import Qt, QtCore, QtGui
ImportError: No module named 'PyQt4'
**UPDATE 2**

The 32-bit library also failed. I also tried to rebuild it, and it says that, since there is no cx-Freeze, it has to get distutils, which git then throws an error over.

**UPDATE 3**

After checking the wine_loader directory, I tried to run loader.exe, but that failed as well.
I think you probably have installed the python 2 version of pyqt4, and need the python 3 version (likely the python3-PyQt4 package).
The cli version is running fine. As it says, you should run it with the --help option to see the list of options.

Tags
pge, playonlinux