PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 25th January 2013, 11:30 PM   #1
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

droomph
Default Female hackers.

Even though I'm male (I checked) I still wonder how many female ROM Hackers there are around these parts.

And if not, why do you think this is, and how we can get more females on the team (and not by nagging, mind you)?
Old 26th January 2013, 03:33 AM   #2
Shhwonk
boop
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Shhwonk

Haha... "I checked."

When I come to think of it, I seriously don't know any female ROM hackers.

There are many reasons, though, why it's extremely uncommon to see a female ROM hacker. First of all, I know for a fact that most Pokémon players are male, and even if that WASN'T true, then there are more hardcore Pokémon players that are male. Girls tend to play video games more casually than boys and therefore girls aren't at all interested in trying to hack the games, so boys would take it one step further and look up ways to alter them.

Most girls I know say they play Pokémon, but they don't know any Pokémon past the first 151, and their favourite Pokémon is Pikachu or some cutesy character. No hate intended at all, but that's generally what the reality is. Simply put, girls don't get so attracted with things that they take them a step further like boys do.

I actually told my girlfriend about ROM hacking and what it's about, and she genuinely thought it was a really cool concept and would love to do it... but, she never really got into Pokémon and mainly enjoyed because you could catch and raise a cute little creature rather than enjoy the games' mechanics and whatnot. It's just the way the human mind works and how it varies with gender.

"Pokémon: Super Rising Thunder!" on PC, I believe, is a hack by a girl (Pink Parka Girl). It's well done, too. I'm not 100% sure of the author's gender, but looking at what's there, it's safe to assume so.

Maybe something kinda draws near.
Shhwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 09:21 AM   #3
tajaros
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

tajaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmas View Post
Haha... "I checked."

When I come to think of it, I seriously don't know any female ROM hackers.

There are many reasons, though, why it's extremely uncommon to see a female ROM hacker. First of all, I know for a fact that most Pokémon players are male, and even if that WASN'T true, then there are more hardcore Pokémon players that are male. Girls tend to play video games more casually than boys and therefore girls aren't at all interested in trying to hack the games, so boys would take it one step further and look up ways to alter them.

Most girls I know say they play Pokémon, but they don't know any Pokémon past the first 151, and their favourite Pokémon is Pikachu or some cutesy character. No hate intended at all, but that's generally what the reality is. Simply put, girls don't get so attracted with things that they take them a step further like boys do.

I actually told my girlfriend about ROM hacking and what it's about, and she genuinely thought it was a really cool concept and would love to do it... but, she never really got into Pokémon and mainly enjoyed because you could catch and raise a cute little creature rather than enjoy the games' mechanics and whatnot. It's just the way the human mind works and how it varies with gender.

"Pokémon: Super Rising Thunder!" on PC, I believe, is a hack by a girl (Pink Parka Girl). It's well done, too. I'm not 100% sure of the author's gender, but looking at what's there, it's safe to assume so.
Haha, yeah Pink Parka Girl is a female obviously.

Also when I first joined PC I thought that "Haha, there are no girls here for sure!" But, I saw that there are many girls in the forum lol.

But only a few females go to the Rom Hacking section and I've seen some female hackers but never really knew them.

Also I think that girl has more tend to go to Facebook or Twitter to brag about what they have in life or personal things. ;)
Old 26th January 2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Alice
ClariS <3
Style AdminstratorPHO VIPSuper Moderator

Alice Alice

I'm going to have to disagree with "there are no female hardcore pokemon fans". I actually know more girls who like pokemon than boys who do irl. I think the distinct absence of girl hackers is probably because they think that all the guy hackers won't take them seriously, and that they'll be bullied off the various forums like so many n00bs do. A lot of hackers on the big forums aren't nice to n00bs, and whilst some people can see that and think "ok, I know what not to do" others just don't bother even starting. So, my take on it is that either there is more girl hackers than we realize (possibly pretending to be guys?) or that we keep scaring them off before we actually get a chance to see what they can do. Just my two cents

"I dreamt that you were a dog. And the dog was my husband. Anyway, it was the worst dream ever." — Aisaka Taiga
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 12:27 PM   #5
AJ
Shady's Back, Tell a Friend.

AJ

Refer to rule 16 of the internet for that one. ;)
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

I know of a few, there's Pink Parka Girl and DarkRisingGirl. Besides that, lolnope.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Shhwonk
boop
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Shhwonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konjiki no Yami View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with "there are no female hardcore pokemon fans". I actually know more girls who like pokemon than boys who do irl. I think the distinct absence of girl hackers is probably because they think that all the guy hackers won't take them seriously, and that they'll be bullied off the various forums like so many n00bs do. A lot of hackers on the big forums aren't nice to n00bs, and whilst some people can see that and think "ok, I know what not to do" others just don't bother even starting. So, my take on it is that either there is more girl hackers than we realize (possibly pretending to be guys?) or that we keep scaring them off before we actually get a chance to see what they can do. Just my two cents
I never said there were no hardcore female fans, I said there were much less. The reason that you know more girl fans IRL is because they're more open about it and less embarrassed to be a fan.
It's kinda silly that girls would do that and I don't believe that, since all girls I know are in no way scared of being a fan in terms of other boys... If anything, more boys pretend to be girls on Pokémon forums.

I just think there are less girl hackers because they're simply less likely to become one :P

Maybe something kinda draws near.
Shhwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEN View Post
I know of a few, there's Pink Parka Girl and DarkRisingGirl. Besides that, lolnope.
Is it the rules of the ROM Hacking world, that, if you're female you must have 'girl' in your username?
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Yes, it appears to be a secret rule.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Varion
Tell me a good joke ...

Varion

There's Abnegation.
He's apparently a girl now.

...and I'll tell you all you want te know!
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female, hackers