PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 26th July 2011, 08:48 PM   #11
BlueUmbreon
Getting there...

BlueUmbreon is on a distinguished road

Those are both really nice maps - I like the Tileset and the Palette too - but something about the tall grass looks out of place to me. Nice maps.
I'd give the first one a 8/10
and the second one a 6/10
Old 26th July 2011, 10:13 PM   #12
HunterCrash
ROM Hacker

HunterCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiar View Post

The map isn't good. It's very small, bland and horribly straight. There are narrow 1 and 2 tile paths and you will have border errors. Expand the map and add more variety to it.
~
Map: A generic starting route.
Base ROM: Fire Red
Credits: lalo0101, Laidjon and Zein for the sign, small tree, flower, trunk and water tiles.
Spoiler:
i really like this route as well as your mapping style, a very simple route, you didn't add much grass to annoy the player by walking through a whole route of grass, and since it's a starting route, it's better because starting routes aren't usually that big, the only problem i have with this map is that ledge, it serves no purpose there, in official pokemon games, ledges would be used for shortcuts, but in this map it was used for decoration, imo doesn't look good. 8/10

Map name:none
ROM base: fire red
Comments: it's my beach map for the hack: pokemon raging fury, the cave entrance is actually a route to the next town just so you know.
Map:
Spoiler:
HunterCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Aperso
Puddleduck
PHO VIP

Aperso

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Raided View Post
i really like this route as well as your mapping style, a very simple route, you didn't add much grass to annoy the player by walking through a whole route of grass, and since it's a starting route, it's better because starting routes aren't usually that big, the only problem i have with this map is that ledge, it serves no purpose there, in official pokemon games, ledges would be used for shortcuts, but in this map it was used for decoration, imo doesn't look good. 8/10

Comments: it's my beach map for the hack: pokemon raging fury, the cave entrance is actually a route to the next town just so you know.
Map:
Spoiler:
I like the map and the tiles. bit too much in my opinion. But it's good.10/10

my map
Map name:Ranger town
Rom base:fire red
Comments:first town of pokemon ranger GBA
Map:
Spoiler:

I'll come up with something to put here later.
Aperso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 05:59 PM   #14
So I Herd U Liek Mudkipz
n00b

So I Herd U Liek Mudkipz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperso View Post
Map:
Spoiler:
I feel sorry saying this to my friend, but honestly the map is very bad. There's way too much free space, to start with. The roof for the house is too big. Both of those are not technically tile errors, but they look very unattractive. Then it's obvious that it's just an edit of Pallet Town, which doesn't make it look very good. The mountain is also way too straight, it looks unnatural and artificial. And last, you're gonna have a border error where the fence goes offmap.

So...yeah. A lot to change.

So I Herd U Liek Mudkipz?
So I Herd U Liek Mudkipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:37 AM   #15
HunterCrash
ROM Hacker

HunterCrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammtehPanda View Post
Map: Route 1 (pok?mon time)
Base ROM: Untitled.
Spoiler:

and

Map: Route 2 (Pokémon Time)
Base ROM: Untitled.
Other notes: The two houses have to be there for events in the game so ... please no comments on them.
Spoiler:
I'm only rating the first map.
the only thing i can say here is that the ledges on the left serve no purpose if you are still forcing the player through grass, the ledges should be there so the player can get through faster and without having to go through grass.Also, i didn't like how you put the fences on the right part of the map, it makes the path more narrow and looks a little weird.

Map name: Route2
ROM base: firered
Comments:just something new i'm working on.
Map:
Spoiler:
HunterCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:01 AM   #16
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Map name: Route2
ROM base: firered
Comments:just something new i'm working on.
Map:
Spoiler:
Okay, looking very interesting. I see some goods and some bads. I like how you have a 4-way path, and how it's not a simple cross, but is more diagonal, like an 'x' slightly tilted. colors are a bit bright, but that's just my taste.

The bads: You have a bright, very bright forest going on. The trees should be darker in a forest. A good reference may be Pokemon DarkGrey. Your style isn't like Pokemon, and reminds me of Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap. All in all, it's a very neat map for something so small.

8/10

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:14 AM   #17
Soul
soulless soldier
PHO VIP

Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperso View Post
Map:
Spoiler:
Um... It doesn't really look that appealing. It's obviously a Pallet Town edit; try and make maps from scratch. The flower placing isn't that good, and neither does the bushes or buildings. The mountain is randomly placed, also. The path is unnatural looking too. Oh and the player's roof's too large.

I'd have to give it a 2/10...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
And last, you're gonna have a border error where the fence goes offmap.
Not unless there's a connection below the map.
Old 10th August 2011, 12:42 AM   #18
PEDRO12
mother of dragons
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

PEDRO12

Quote:

Map:
Spoiler:
All I can say is you're a lord of mapping, if such a thing exists. You and Anbuja are the best mappers I have ever met. 10/10. No wait, 15/10.

To the actual rating:

The light pallets and tropical trees are very fitting to the beach setting. The houses along with the small pools are very suitable for said setting also. Your mapping style is amazing, very natural, and gives a feel of relaxation to me, and basically anyone who plays the hack.

The seats and the small mini-parks next to the house and Pokemon center are a very creative touch. Another creative aspect in the map is the existence of two similar trees, with different sizes, the pine trees. Also the usage of two types of rocks in the water, those with grass growing on them and those without it, is also a very nice touch. All in all, the map is perfect, and close to flawless. Astounding job.
PEDRO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 11:12 PM   #19
~Anbuja
Neophyte

~Anbuja is on a distinguished road

after tha last map got rated and reviewed im not putting something else there in okay?
here is mine:
Map Name: Jarurej Valley
Base ROM: FireRed.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: It's an map slighty edited asthe last one and it got new tiles to match ther other tiles!
Credits: Kyledove , welsleyFG , ultimospriter , boomxbig , alistair , princelegendario maybe i have forgotten someone....
If someone want to compare thisone to the old one here is the link to the last...:
http://anbuja.deviantart.com/#/d3kaco2
~Anbuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 06:35 PM   #20
Atlas
n00b

Atlas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbuja View Post
Map Name: Jarurej Valley
Base ROM: FireRed.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments: It's an map slighty edited asthe last one and it got new tiles to match ther other tiles!
Credits: Kyledove , welsleyFG , ultimospriter , boomxbig , alistair , princelegendario maybe i have forgotten someone....
If someone want to compare thisone to the old one here is the link to the last...:
http://anbuja.deviantart.com/#/d3kaco2
This map is very good! It would certainly be fun to play.
However, the thing I don't get is the dead ends. Most of them, the player can see they're dead ends before you even get to the end. I really like the tiles, and don't really have much else to say about this map.
So...8/10.
JOIN NOW
Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map, rating, thread