PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > ROM Hacking > Research Workshop > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion Wanna simply talk about hacking topics? Come here for some chit-chat.

Old 13th September 2014, 08:30 PM   #1
The_Buddha_Wolf
Otaku

The_Buddha_Wolf
Default How did you learn to rom hack?

How did you learn how to rom hack?
Old 21st September 2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Dark Sneasel
Anti-Swag

Dark Sneasel

Reading a shit load of tutorials, asking questions, and lastly, but most important, through experience and wanting to do stuff rather than wanting others to do it for me ^__^
Dark Sneasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 05:43 PM   #3
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via MSN to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020

I think I have the best one lol.

I started out by simply downloading different programs and seeing what they did. Eventually I became friends with HackMew and we talked on MSN pretty much every day. He taught me a lot and even showed me how to do stuff through teamviewer.
Old 21st September 2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo
Send a message via Skype™ to Mateo

I got into hacking before I even knew there were forums about it. I found a site to download roms, and I started seeing these other roms I had never heard of. "What is Brown Version?" and stuff, so I downloaded it. Then I looked for tools and tutorials and found those on like zophar's domain (not even sure if that is still up) and started experimenting with them. Then later I found Pokecommunity by complete accident and realized there were hackers there. And then somewhere along the way I met Mewthree and Pyro and Interdpth and people and over a decade later, I ended up here.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 09:26 AM   #5
BlazikenXY
Pokemon Trainer and Hacker

BlazikenXY

I learned to rom hack via tutorials, diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial is one

Need help:
Someone who has some skill for music hacking.
BlazikenXY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:22 PM   #6
kidblazex87
Getting there...

kidblazex87

Well, my first Pokemon game ever was a hack game called ChaosBlack version. When I learned it was a rom hack, I was a little surprised and sorta thought nothing more of it. Then I developed my idea for my own region, called the Gildor Region. I created the Gildor Region idea-wise, but was wondering how to make it into a game. So, thats when I remembered ChaosBlack and decided to try making my own game. I tried Pokemon Essentials but was lost very quickly. I then decided to try romhacking and got me my own Firered rom to hack and I've been working on it ever since.
kidblazex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Touched
n00b

Touched

Mine isn't particularly interesting; I just read through GBATek to get familiar with the hardware and instruction set and started looking at the code in IDA. Afterwards, I joined the forums and found out about scripting and mapping and Knizz's IDB, so that sped up my understanding considerably.

Last edited by Banjora Marxvile; 3rd October 2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Sorry, but directly insulting someone else isn't a great thing, especially when it is expecting a reaction of sorts.
Touched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:12 PM   #8
HidoranBlaze
Such Swampert

HidoranBlaze

I was searching for a Gold rom and came across Shiny Gold last year. After that I found Pokecommunity. Pretty self explanatory. Although I never seriously started hacking until this year.
HidoranBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey
Send a message via Skype™ to Icey

Stumbled across Pokemon Naranja while looking for Pokemon ROMs, got confused, thought it was cool, wanted to make a Pokemon game like I always dreamed of when I was like 8 years old, taught myself through tutorials and stuff. Pretty standard backstory aha
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hack, learn, rom