PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Other Research

Other Research For research regarding Gen III or other hacks that aren't Gen I/II.

Old 13th November 2014, 01:06 AM   #1
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail
Default RHDP - A Site Inspired by Rom Hackers [X-Post from PC]

PREP FOR HYPE GUYS | View this post on The PokéCommunity Forums

First off, I'd like to mention that I can't take credit for the entire idea. I'd like to thank Synchronous (PC) for the inspiration.

Now with that out of the way, I thought I'd get in touch with other members and see about making this into a Rom Hacking site (Note, it's not strictly Pokémon!!), although there have been a few speedbumps along the way. Some members who I've pitched the idea to have different ideas on how we should do it, and I thought I'd bring it to a larger demographic to discuss and map out, as well as fix issues that pertain to this potential project. First off, here's how I'd like to implement this whole thing:

The site will have three major components. The first, a Wiki, the second a forum, and the third, an IRC channel. I'll go in-depth with each.

1. The Wiki:
The Wiki will be the home of most of the site's content. It will contain tutorials, research, and odd bits of information on aspects of various games. I'd like to keep it incredibly organised though. Something like this:
  • System 1
  • System 2
    • Game 1
    • Game 2
      • Documents
        • Doc 1
        • Doc 2
        • Doc 3
      • Patches
        • Patch 1
        • Patch 2
        • Patch 3
      • Research Projects
        • Project 1
        • Project 2
        • Project 3
    • Game 3
  • System 3
  • System 4
It's organised, and people can find things easily, instead of digging around various forum pages, trying to find exactly what they need. Instead, it's all laid out, right there, at your fingertips. Right where you need, when you need it. Even Google can't beat this.

2. The Forum:
The forum won't have as much a centering of attention. In fact, it's not the focus of the site. The point of the forum is to have a place for working on things, setting up new projects, etc etc. It'll be the starting place of most things on the site. It won't be as neatly laid out as the Wiki is, however, I'll think of something soon enough.

3. The IRC:
This will be one of the larger things to watch out for. The point of the IRC is for instant communication. People that are doing research projects can hop onto an IRC channel and get to work instantly. Users will be free to create their own channels for their projects, so that people that want to work with only their team members can do so without the interruption of others, or the ebb and flow of regular-use IRC channels.

As has been stated repeatedly in the past, Rom Hacking is dying because of a few things:

-A lack of interest
-A lack of creativity
-An increase in difficulty

What I'd like to have this site do is be able to educate, inspire, teach, and direct new and experienced Rom Hackers to ensure that the community stays tight to its roots. So another thing I'd like to see with this site is community relations. Be able to associate with various Rom Hacking/Research/Development boards, and be able to share information. This site is not designed to try and beat out other boards and sites (romhack.me, PHO, PC, jul, hcs64, etc etc), but to work alongside them, and with them, to create a network of sites.

As it stands now, there's also a few options. I've had both tossed at me. We can start in one of two different ways:
  • We can start with an existing forum/wiki, and revamp it to our needs, or
  • Get an entirely new domain, host, and start with a clean slate (I'd prefer this option, tbh. It'll be much easier to get started, instead of having to dig through piles of crap to fix stuff that could be broken.)
This will be up to everyone, really. Once we decide, I'll try getting some decent hosting, hopefully not throttled, and perhaps get a prototype site set up that we can put through a test run.

This is merely a WIP of the idea in my head. I'll probably flesh it out in time, however, I'd like to get some user feedback, and ponder upon what people have to say. If this is handled correctly, it could become a very big thing in the Rom Hacking world in a very short amount of time.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.

Last edited by Team Fail; 13th November 2014 at 01:53 AM.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13th November 2014, 03:09 AM   #2
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

I don't know about you, but I would love to help contribute. I'm probably a bit rusty, but I like the idea of a central site where you can get all of this information. I also like the idea of working along side other sites to benefit everyone. I like the idea of a clean slate, also.

Count me in

*Edit*
After looking more at the PC post, are you trying to gather a lot of resources and persuade tools to be made in a single determined language and open sourced? Synchronous mentioned MEH a bit, and the whole problem with close sourced programs, so I was wondering if that was also a goal with RHDP.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited by Elsa; 13th November 2014 at 03:19 AM.
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 06:43 AM   #3
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
I don't know about you, but I would love to help contribute. I'm probably a bit rusty, but I like the idea of a central site where you can get all of this information. I also like the idea of working along side other sites to benefit everyone. I like the idea of a clean slate, also.

Count me in

*Edit*
After looking more at the PC post, are you trying to gather a lot of resources and persuade tools to be made in a single determined language and open sourced? Synchronous mentioned MEH a bit, and the whole problem with close sourced programs, so I was wondering if that was also a goal with RHDP.
That, I'm not entirely sure about, you'd have to talk with Sync and see about that one.

Old 13th November 2014, 05:38 PM   #4
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

I talked to him and he mentioned that it would probably be either the QT language or the new C#, both utilizing the multi-platform ability.

Thought I'd throw that in for anyone that is considering helping and would be curious about the language.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Hopeless Masquerade
山の新人神様
Ex-Staff

Hopeless Masquerade

Oh, wow! I love this idea!
I've always wanted a wiki for ROM hacking that is actually up to date, and this would be a great way to organize all the knowledge that's been amassed!

I'd love to be able to contribute to a wiki, so if you want volunteers consider me volunteered.
Hopeless Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2014, 02:56 PM   #6
MercuryShadowScizor
Old Man
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

MercuryShadowScizor

I'd say go for it! One of the main issues with the Hacking community is the lack of unity and communication so this will hopefully bring everyone (old and new alike) together again. As a long time PHO veteran and renewed Pokémon ROM-Hacker, I fully support this and will lend all that I can to the cause!

Slowly rebuilding my hacking knowledge...
MercuryShadowScizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 14th November 2014, 11:08 PM   #7
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin

Just wanna mention that we now have a temporary IRC channel going until we can get on our own server. If you'd like to join, the server information is

Server: irc.romhackersonline.com
Port: 6667
Channel: #rhdp

Likes MercuryShadowScizor liked this post
Old 20th November 2014, 11:09 AM   #8
sword
Lets Hack

sword

I don't know if its for common user like me but I will be very pleased to help with the site .
If you want i can help too.

Rule 204 : Never Stop Exploring

Quote:
I Need a Scripter For My Hack PM Me
sword is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hackers, inspired, rhdb, rhdp, rom, site, xpost