PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > ROM Hacking > Research Workshop > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion Wanna simply talk about hacking topics? Come here for some chit-chat.

Old 16th April 2015, 06:43 PM   #1
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!
Default Fire Red: How do I make a multichoice script?

Alright guys, so ive looked far and wide and cant find any helpful info on how to set up a multichoice script. I know you have to make a choice list and thats where im lost.

How do you make a choice list for the script to know which one to use?

Im attepting to make a small test system for crafting, if it can be done and i think the gest way would be through a multichoice box.

If you guys have any othre ideas on how to do it id love to hear em.

Thanks all!
Old 18th April 2015, 08:05 AM   #2
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!

From what I've figured out from reading translated pages describing how, and I'm not going to go into detail because it seems fairly complicated, to add a new one you have to locate some pointer in a hex editor and reverse the pointer and all this other stuff.

If anyone has any idea of how to clearly describe the procedure, hopefully they will help me out with this one. I think it's one of those more advanced things that a lot of ppl would want to know.

I know there are multichoice editors but I want to create new ones, not modify. Still searching though :/
Old 18th April 2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Chrunch
Getting there...

Chrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeballGO! View Post
From what I've figured out from reading translated pages describing how, and I'm not going to go into detail because it seems fairly complicated, to add a new one you have to locate some pointer in a hex editor and reverse the pointer and all this other stuff.

If anyone has any idea of how to clearly describe the procedure, hopefully they will help me out with this one. I think it's one of those more advanced things that a lot of ppl would want to know.

I know there are multichoice editors but I want to create new ones, not modify. Still searching though :/
follow the end part of this tutorial: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165939

It's not that hard if you know hex editing. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Chrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2015, 05:08 PM   #4
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrunch View Post
follow the end part of this tutorial: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=165939

It's not that hard if you know hex editing. If you have any questions feel free to ask
Awesome! Thanks crunch, ill check it out after work! How do you think i could implement a crafting system? Like, if you have, this item and this item you could make this new kind of pokeball or something.

I thought of making an item that gives you a multichoice list of all the items you could make, once you made a selection, it would check to see if you had the right materials, but im not sure i can even do that yet. My days off are tomorrow so ill be hitting it hard then, but in the meantime, i just keep running it through my head trying to find other ways to do it.
Old 19th April 2015, 11:31 AM   #5
Chrunch
Getting there...

Chrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeballGO! View Post
Awesome! Thanks crunch, ill check it out after work! How do you think i could implement a crafting system? Like, if you have, this item and this item you could make this new kind of pokeball or something.

I thought of making an item that gives you a multichoice list of all the items you could make, once you made a selection, it would check to see if you had the right materials, but im not sure i can even do that yet. My days off are tomorrow so ill be hitting it hard then, but in the meantime, i just keep running it through my head trying to find other ways to do it.
Sure, that would be the simplest way to do it. Just use the checkitem command to see if you have the items needed.
Chrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 04:49 AM   #6
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrunch View Post
Sure, that would be the simplest way to do it. Just use the checkitem command to see if you have the items needed.

So, the multichoice selection that you chose, once chosen could run another script to check for the materials?

For example, if i want to make a "Super Pokeball" or something, id use the craft machine, (the created item), select "superball" and that would check to see if i had the right stuff to do it, if so, would use a takeitem and giveitem commands to produce the new item?
Old 20th April 2015, 01:28 PM   #7
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!

Ok, so ive learned how to make the crafting system through the night, the only problem is, in order to use it, you have to patch the rom with a tool called the JPAN ENGINE. It works great with that, only thing is, that engine has wiped every event out of the game only keeping the source materials. You can create events, but essentially, the game is empty.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make a created item run scripts on a regular rom? It needs to have a Field Use that is available in the hex somewhere to execute the script, in JPAN it is 161521.

Any answers are appreciated, as i cant find any solid info on how to do it without the JPAN patch.
Old 20th April 2015, 02:03 PM   #8
PokeballGO!

PokeballGO!

Also, to follow up on this threads original purpose, i did figure out how to at least manipulate the multichoices in the game.

The tools i used were:
LSAs Multicoice editor
XSE
Advanced Map

So, i looked up bills Pokemon multichoice script in XSE, noticed the list# which is 0x01 to understand how the lists were recognized. Once i understood the list values it was pretty simple.

Using LSA i selected box# 0x0A, which just shows an exit choice, edited the #of choices and the names, saved it.

Opened XSE, wrote a msg script, and used multichoice 0x0 0x0 0x0A 0x0 with some check last results and attached that scripts offset to a person and it worked!

LSA also has the ability to add new ones in by repointing the whole multichoice table to a new offset but i didnt fool with that yet, although i would assume it would be no different, but idk yet.

Heres the script if anyone has trouble with this:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
multichoice 0x0 0x0 0x0A 0x0
copyvar 0x8000 LASTRESULT
compare 0x8000 0x0
if 0x1 goto @axe
compare 0x8000 0x1
if 0x1 goto @mallet
release
end

#org @axe
msgbox @axe1 0x4
closeonkeypress
goto @start
end

#org @mallet
msgbox @mallet1 0x4
closeonkeypress
goto @start
end

#org @axe1
= An axe for cutting trees.

#org @mallet1
= A mallet for hammering.

Just a simple 2 choice list with EXIT as the 3rd choice, but i didnt have to script that one for it to work.

Last edited by PokeballGO!; 20th April 2015 at 02:06 PM.
PokeballGO! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, make, multichoice, red, script