PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation > Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 6th July 2013, 05:21 AM   #1
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552
Default Simple Questions! (Search Before Asking with the Search Button)

We're Back!

A revamped forum needs a revamped help section, so here we go: a refreshed simple questions thread! This is the place to get a quick answer for something that has been bugging you about rom hacking. If you think your question needs a bit more than a couple of sentences from the more experienced rom hackers, feel free to give it it's own thread. We can always move it in here later.

on to,

The Rules:

Search before asking! Use the Search Button! So many people think that they have to physically look through the thread, but there is a handy search button right at the top of every page, so make good use of it. In no time at all, there will quite a few posts here, all with answers, so don't make us do work twice!

Always use proper grammar! There is nothing that turns a good rom hacker, who has worked his/her butt off, than a new guy who doesn't bother to spell things correctly. If you want help, ask in the best way possible, and you will get the best answer.

Do NOT demand answers. If someone CHOOSES to answer your question, that is THEIR choice. No one here is obligated to give you an answer. Posts demanding answers are simply rude and only come across as spam and will be deleted without hesitation.

However, if you feel that your post was ignored or missed, you may ask it again, but only after 3 days or 2 pages on the thread have elapsed. (Whichever comes first.)

Examples:

A bad question:

Quote:
how do i import sprits in wichu icon ed?? I cant' sem 2 find the button too import? Plz help!!!!!!

A good question:

Quote:
How do I import sprites into Wichu's Icon Editor? I can't seem to find the button to import them?

A bad answer:
Quote:
Iz in the f'in file menu, are you blind??!

A good answer:
Quote:
The import button is in the file menu.

We clear? Cool, ASK AWAY!

~karatekid552

Last edited by karatekid552; 6th July 2013 at 05:24 AM.
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 8th July 2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Pirate Ninja
P l a y t h e f i e l d

Pirate Ninja

Is there any way (that we know of) to add a third variable name into the FRLG/RSE ROMs? Like it would take some ASM obviously, but I'd like to know if the ROM can store it.
Pirate Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ninja View Post
Is there any way (that we know of) to add a third variable name into the FRLG/RSE ROMs? Like it would take some ASM obviously, but I'd like to know if the ROM can store it.
I remember talking to @Jambo51 about this and he said it was definitely possible and easy to implement. Though, as of today, he hasn't done it. (And yes it would require some ASM).

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Anyone know how I can edit what is in the EGG the aide in Violet City gives you in Pokemon Gold? I need to change it from a Togepi to a Meowth.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:05 PM   #5
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Anyone know how I can edit what is in the EGG the aide in Violet City gives you in Pokemon Gold? I need to change it from a Togepi to a Meowth.
I do not hack GSC, but I do know how to do it in gen III, and that would be scripting. So, if you can, open the script up in a gen II script editor (PKSVUI?) and change the values for whatever command gives you the egg. This is providing they used a similar scripting style to gen III, though.

Edit: for other people, you can open it in PKSV, but due to issues, once you find what you need to change, it is better to change it in a hex editor.

Last edited by karatekid552; 9th July 2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 8th August 2013, 02:40 AM   #6
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Open the rom in JohtoMap, load the map for Violet City's Pokemon Center.
Click on the Aide, and then click the button labeled "Decompile Script"
It will automatically open the script in PKSV so you can edit it.
The script will look like this:
Code:
#org 0x159239
'-----------------------------------
faceplayer
loadfont
checkbit1 0x2C
if true 0x52A7 ' 0x1592A7
2writetext 0x52C2 ' 0x1592C2
yesorno
if false 0x529E ' 0x15929E
checkcode 0x1
if == 0x6 0x5298 ' 0x159298
giveegg 0xAF 0x5
stringtotext 0x5290 0x1 ' 0x159290
2call 0x5294 ' 0x159294
setbit1 0x2D
clearbit1 0x701
clearbit1 0x54
domaptrigger 0xA 0x1 0x1
2writetext 0x5332 ' 0x159332
closetext
loadmovesprites
checkcode 0x9
if == 0x1 0x527E ' 0x15927E
spriteface 0x0 0x0
applymovement 0x6 0x52B6 ' 0x1592B6
playsound 0x23
disappear 0x6
waitbutton
end

#org 0x1592A7
2writetext 0x547F ' 0x15947F
2jump 0x5244 ' 0x159244

#org 0x159244
yesorno
if false 0x529E ' 0x15929E
checkcode 0x1
if == 0x6 0x5298 ' 0x159298
giveegg 0xAF 0x5
stringtotext 0x5290 0x1 ' 0x159290
2call 0x5294 ' 0x159294
setbit1 0x2D
clearbit1 0x701
clearbit1 0x54
domaptrigger 0xA 0x1 0x1
2writetext 0x5332 ' 0x159332
closetext
loadmovesprites
checkcode 0x9
if == 0x1 0x527E ' 0x15927E
spriteface 0x0 0x0
applymovement 0x6 0x52B6 ' 0x1592B6
playsound 0x23
disappear 0x6
waitbutton
end

#org 0x15929E
2writetext 0x545F ' 0x15945F
closetext
loadmovesprites
setbit1 0x2C
end

#org 0x159298
2writetext 0x5400 ' 0x159400
closetext
loadmovesprites
end

#org 0x159294
jumpstd 0x2A

#org 0x15927E
applymovement 0x6 0x52BB ' 0x1592BB
spriteface 0x0 0x0
applymovement 0x6 0x52BE ' 0x1592BE
playsound 0x23
disappear 0x6
waitbutton
end

#org 0x1592C2
= [PLAYER], long\ntime, no see.\pPROF.ELM asked me\nto find you.\pHe has another\nfavor to ask.\pWould you take the\n[POKé]MON EGG?\e

#org 0x159290
#raw 0x84
#raw 0x86
#raw 0x86
#raw 0x50
text-interpretxdata 0x2A
= Q\h4C\h00[POKé]\h53\h49Q\h4C\h5F[POKé]\h53\h49\h33\h2C\h00Q\h4C [POKé]\h03\h44[PLAYER]\p\h9A[POKé]\p\hCD[POKé]\p\h49\l\h0C\h0C\h0C\h0C\h47\h0E\h0C\h47\h0C\h0C\h0C\h47\h00[PLAYER], long\ntime, no see.\pPROF.ELM asked me\nto find you.\pHe has another\nfavor to ask.\pWould you take the\n[POKé]MON EGG?\e

#org 0x159332
= We discovered that\na [POKé]MON will not\phatch until it\ngrows in the EGG.\pIt also has to be\nwith other active\l[POKé]MON to hatch.\p[PLAYER], you're\nthe only person\lwe can rely on.\pPlease call PROF.\nELM when that EGG\lhatches!\e

#org 0x15947F
= [PLAYER], will you\ntake the EGG?\e

#org 0x15945F
= B-but[.] PROF.ELM\nasked for you[.]\e

#org 0x159400
= Oh, no. You can't\ncarry any more\l[POKé]MON with you.\pI'll wait here\nwhile you make\lroom for the EGG.\e

#org 0x1592B6
M step_down step_down step_down step_down end

#org 0x1592BB
M step_left step_down end

#org 0x1592BE
M step_down step_down step_down end
As you can see, that sort of looks like a mess. But for what you are doing, all you need to do is change the values in the "giveegg" command. The 0xAF tells it to give you a Togepi egg, and the 0x5 part means it will be at lv5 when it hatches. To change it to Meowth, you should be able to just replace:
Code:
giveegg 0xAF 0x5
with:

Code:
giveegg 0x34 0x5
And he should give you a Meowth egg instead. Assuming I looked at the code properly, the reason the command shows up twice is because the script can loop back into the middle of one of the parts, so when it followed the call it decompiles part of the code twice. So just change both instances of the giveegg command to make sure it saves properly.

Also, if you're wondering what all that nonsense at x159290 is:
That offset actually just has the text "EGG" followed by 0x50. But PKSV reads this wrong, and assumes it is supposed to start with 0x00 or some other in-text code. So it just read this as RAW bytes, then when it finally hit a byte that it thought it knew what it was doing with, it read some nonsense text. It shouldn't hurt anything to leave that part in there, although you could just delete that line before recompiling and it wouldn't hurt anything (the original data it calls will just stay where it was and stay the same because PKSV won't do anything with it).

EDIT: Also, Professor Elm won't care when Meowth hatches. From what I've seen, some parts of the game are hard-coded to check for when you have Togepi to talk about the egg hatching. In Elm's script, there are a couple of checks you could edit if you wanted. I'm not sure yet how to change what makes him talk about it on the phone. I don't know if that bothers you or not, but thought I would throw it out there.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery

Last edited by Mateo; 8th August 2013 at 02:43 AM.
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa, Pia Carrot liked this post
Old 5th November 2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Cruztown
Fish are cool

Cruztown

Hey there, kinda new. I was wondering when (if at all) it would be beneficial to expand a ROM? I've been trying to safely make an Emerald Patch, but I'm not sure if expanding would help what so ever with adding new scripts.
Cruztown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruztown View Post
Hey there, kinda new. I was wondering when (if at all) it would be beneficial to expand a ROM? I've been trying to safely make an Emerald Patch, but I'm not sure if expanding would help what so ever with adding new scripts.
For a normal hack, it is not necessary. In my hack, I did it, but only because I have MBs worth of images and I will need the extra space. If I remember right, Liquid Crystal is not expanded, and if that isn't, with almost three regions, you should be fine.
Old 5th November 2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Cruztown
Fish are cool

Cruztown

Ah, alright. Cool. Also, concerning editing trainers, would it be wise to trust Advance Trainer's suggestions when it comes to repointing to another offset? Would it be safer to use Free Space Finder when looking for an offset to use? I'm beginning to believe that it may not be repointing to unused or unimportant areas when I alter teams.
Cruztown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Cooltrainer
Neophyte

Cooltrainer

I've searched for this but I didn't find anything.

Is there a way to add Secret Bases when making a game based on Fire Red? I'm trying to decide which ROM to use and I love all the features on Ruby but the graphics look so bad and there seem to be less resources and tutorials for it. Secret Bases would make a lot of sense in my story so I should include them or a similar feature.

Thanks. I hope this is the right place to ask, by the way.
Cooltrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button, questions, search, simple