PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation > Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 18th November 2013, 06:54 PM   #11
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
I've searched for this but I didn't find anything.

Is there a way to add Secret Bases when making a game based on Fire Red? I'm trying to decide which ROM to use and I love all the features on Ruby but the graphics look so bad and there seem to be less resources and tutorials for it. Secret Bases would make a lot of sense in my story so I should include them or a similar feature.

Thanks. I hope this is the right place to ask, by the way.
Without a massive ASM hack, not at the moment.

In all honesty, just use Ruby if you want Secret Bases. Graphics are easy enough to change (in fact, you can just import the FR graphics if you wish).

Also, the fun of hacking is learning new things. Almost everything i do in hacking, there isn't a tutorial for. That is half of the fun. Tutorials are to jumo start you, but once you get going, it all comes down to thinking and finding other solutions.
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Miksy91 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 18th November 2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Cooltrainer
Neophyte

Cooltrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Without a massive ASM hack, not at the moment.

In all honesty, just use Ruby if you want Secret Bases. Graphics are easy enough to change (in fact, you can just import the FR graphics if you wish).

Also, the fun of hacking is learning new things. Almost everything i do in hacking, there isn't a tutorial for. That is half of the fun. Tutorials are to jumo start you, but once you get going, it all comes down to thinking and finding other solutions.
Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to use Ruby if graphics are easy to replace, then, since I like its features a lot better.

I'm inclined to agree with you on tutorials from other hobbies I have where that has been my experience as well, but I'm still a bit of a beginner with this, so I'm still at the stage where tutorials are helpful down to figuring out what software I'm going to need.
Cooltrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 08:37 PM   #13
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to use Ruby if graphics are easy to replace, then, since I like its features a lot better.

I'm inclined to agree with you on tutorials from other hobbies I have where that has been my experience as well, but I'm still a bit of a beginner with this, so I'm still at the stage where tutorials are helpful down to figuring out what software I'm going to need.
I know of most tools, but for me, A-map, XSE, a hex editor, and GBA Graphics Editor are the ones I use the most.
Old 18th November 2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
I've searched for this but I didn't find anything.

Is there a way to add Secret Bases when making a game based on Fire Red? I'm trying to decide which ROM to use and I love all the features on Ruby but the graphics look so bad and there seem to be less resources and tutorials for it. Secret Bases would make a lot of sense in my story so I should include them or a similar feature.

Thanks. I hope this is the right place to ask, by the way.
Ruby is "messier" than FireRed, but graphics are easily replacable. I'm sure secret bases would be possible but not probable, as there is little to no point. Most people apparently don't care about the gimmicks R/S had, but I feel for you there.

While there isn't less documentation, much of it is outdated as it was most extensively hacked from the 2003-2006 era.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Cooltrainer
Neophyte

Cooltrainer

Quote:
I know of most tools, but for me, A-map, XSE, a hex editor, and GBA Graphics Editor are the ones I use the most.
Oh, thank you so much! This helps a lot. I'm also reading through a few posts to get an idea of what to do and stuff, I can't wait to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Ruby is "messier" than FireRed, but graphics are easily replacable. I'm sure secret bases would be possible but not probable, as there is little to no point. Most people apparently don't care about the gimmicks R/S had, but I feel for you there.

While there isn't less documentation, much of it is outdated as it was most extensively hacked from the 2003-2006 era.
I think I'm in the minority that loved those gimmicks, I thought they were fun. :P

In the game I'd like to make, the characters are in a situation where it would make sense for people to create a base for themselves, unlike the game where it's a bit more gratuitous. I hope people don't hate it, though.

Is it outdated in a way that would be a problem when running the game (for example)? Because otherwise I think Ruby sounds good.
Old 19th November 2013, 12:31 AM   #16
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Oh, thank you so much! This helps a lot. I'm also reading through a few posts to get an idea of what to do and stuff, I can't wait to begin.

I think I'm in the minority that loved those gimmicks, I thought they were fun. :P

In the game I'd like to make, the characters are in a situation where it would make sense for people to create a base for themselves, unlike the game where it's a bit more gratuitous. I hope people don't hate it, though.

Is it outdated in a way that would be a problem when running the game (for example)? Because otherwise I think Ruby sounds good.
No, Ruby is in no way outdated. You can apply most of the FR hacking techniques to Ruby, just requiring different locations in the ROM (called "offsets"). I actually hacked Ruby for quite some time between October of 2012 and December. I came back to it to make the original Derpizard and then switched back to FR.

Just be careful of some Ruby tutorials, since they tend to be older (but this also applies to a lot of FR tuts too) as they can have outdated techniques that cause issues. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 19th November 2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Cooltrainer
Neophyte

Cooltrainer

Quote:
No, Ruby is in no way outdated. You can apply most of the FR hacking techniques to Ruby, just requiring different locations in the ROM (called "offsets"). I actually hacked Ruby for quite some time between October of 2012 and December. I came back to it to make the original Derpizard and then switched back to FR.

Just be careful of some Ruby tutorials, since they tend to be older (but this also applies to a lot of FR tuts too) as they can have outdated techniques that cause issues. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Ah, I see. This helps a lot! Yeah, Ruby definitely seems like the way to go. Thanks!
Old 20th November 2013, 05:24 PM   #18
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

Quote:
Ah, I see. This helps a lot! Yeah, Ruby definitely seems like the way to go. Thanks!
I wouldn't recommend you to use Ruby. If you really want to have secret bases, Emerald seems better in my opinion. It has a better engine, nearly all stuff from Ruby and also things from FireRed. It is sadly less supported, but from what I've heard, it's easier to hack and gives you more possibilities.
daniilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 03:45 AM   #19
Cruztown
Fish are cool

Cruztown

Hey, I asked this before, but are the offsets Advance Trainer recommends safe to use? I feel that it picks offsets that might have important data when it repoints a Trainer that I've edited extensively. Could anyone shed light on this?
Cruztown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 08:53 AM   #20
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruztown View Post
Hey, I asked this before, but are the offsets Advance Trainer recommends safe to use? I feel that it picks offsets that might have important data when it repoints a Trainer that I've edited extensively. Could anyone shed light on this?
I personally have no idea, but if there is blank space in the offsets it gives, you can of course repoint trainer data there.

Simply;
1) Download a hex editor and open the rom file with it
2) Use the "Go to" function of the hex editor to scroll to that part of the rom file where the offset that Advance Trainer gives you. There you see what kind of data lies there. If it is "FF FF FF...", it should be free (unless you're hacking Emerald I think).

As advice, everyone whose hacks turns out glitchy is mostly because of relying on things that they're not convinced of. I personally wouldn't want to trust any tools that are unknown to me unless I knew they were properly tested, and work fine, first. Hex editors are really, really useful in this case! You know all along what you're doing with it (unless they won't work properly either, which is hardly the case, especially with most-used hex editors).

Just don't be afraid of trying them out
(Besides, my rom hacking and programming knowledge started to build on hex editing.)

Last edited by Miksy91; 27th November 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Miksy91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button, questions, search, simple