PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > Guides & Documentation > Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 27th November 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91 View Post
I personally have no idea, but if there is blank space in the offsets it gives, you can of course repoint trainer data there.

Simply;
1) Download a hex editor and open the rom file with it
2) Use the "Go to" function of the hex editor to scroll to that part of the rom file where the offset that Advance Trainer gives you. There you see what kind of data lies there. If it is "FF FF FF...", it should be free (unless you're hacking Emerald I think).

As advice, everyone whose hacks turns out glitchy is mostly because of relying on things that they're not convinced of. I personally wouldn't want to trust any tools that are unknown to me unless I knew they were properly tested, and work fine, first. Hex editors are really, really useful in this case! You know all along what you're doing with it (unless they won't work properly either, which is hardly the case, especially with most-used hex editors).

Just don't be afraid of trying them out
(Besides, my rom hacking and programming knowledge started to build on hex editing.)
In the case of Emerald, this thread would be very helpful I think. It explains the proper areas of freespace and clears up some misconceptions about freespace in Emerald so that it prevents rom corruption.

To summarize: Back in the day, someone decided that Emerald didn't use xFF as free space, but instead used x00 the way Gen II does. Actually, Emerald does use xFF as free space along with x00, but NOT ALL x00 are actually free space. So this thread talks about which areas are safe to use and which ones aren't actually safe to use. And how to modify the ini files for some programs to stop them from automagically corrupting emerald for you by using the wrong free space.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Sky0fBlades liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 27th November 2013, 10:28 PM   #22
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
In the case of Emerald, this thread would be very helpful I think. It explains the proper areas of freespace and clears up some misconceptions about freespace in Emerald so that it prevents rom corruption.

To summarize: Back in the day, someone decided that Emerald didn't use xFF as free space, but instead used x00 the way Gen II does. Actually, Emerald does use xFF as free space along with x00, but NOT ALL x00 are actually free space. So this thread talks about which areas are safe to use and which ones aren't actually safe to use. And how to modify the ini files for some programs to stop them from automagically corrupting emerald for you by using the wrong free space.
We should make a "hackable" patch for Emerald, that fills all of the safe 00 free space with FF. Just a thought.
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Sky0fBlades, Mateo liked this post
Old 29th November 2013, 07:49 PM   #23
Telinc1
Pokémon Trainer

Telinc1 has disabled reputation

So, I have two little problems that I would like to get fixed before releasing Alpha 1 of my hack. They both affect the world map.

1. Some of the little dots that specify dungeons (like Diglett's Cave, Viridian Forest, Victory Road, etc.) are not in the right position. Here's a sample image:

2. In the vanilla FireRed, you only hear the "beep" when you hover over a location that's different from the current one. For some reason, in my hack, you hear it every time you put your cursor over a location. Is it because I changed routines with AdvanceMap? (I could easily upload a video to YouTube "showing" the problem if you want)

Check out my hacks by clicking on the userbar!
Telinc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Kumar
KING OF AWESOMENESS

Kumar

How can I insert pic without agixp in pokemon gold.
pokemon hacker 2nd gen
follow me on twitter
@RomhackerKumar

Last edited by Kumar; 3rd December 2013 at 12:15 PM.
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
DudeManPerson
n00b

DudeManPerson
Default Crystal Hack crash problem

I was working on a very basic Pokémon Crystal hack. (just changing some maps, text, wild and trainer pokémon etc.)
Everything was fine until I noticed that the rom crashes when you catch a pokémon. It hasn't always been like that though. I've been testing it while I was working on it and the first time it crashed was when I tried to catch a shiny tentacool right before the Pokémon League.
I'd be very happy if somebody had an explanation for this.

Thanks in advance!
DudeManPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 12:50 PM   #26
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeManPerson View Post
I was working on a very basic Pokémon Crystal hack. (just changing some maps, text, wild and trainer pokémon etc.)
Everything was fine until I noticed that the rom crashes when you catch a pokémon. It hasn't always been like that though. I've been testing it while I was working on it and the first time it crashed was when I tried to catch a shiny tentacool right before the Pokémon League.

Thanks in advance!
I mean, I don't know exactly what you did but I assume when you edited text or some data it overwrote the code for capturing pokemon. I think kanzure at Skeetendo would know more about Pokemon Crystal than us as I can only speculate.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeManPerson View Post

Thanks in advance!
Well, this kind of an error has nothing to do with the things you have done in general. In fact, it sounds like you have used a tool that didn't function accurately, and so the tool has "managed" to corrupt, probably a small, part of the pokemon catching routine. You could either;

1) Try to remove the error by tracing it with debugging ("Difficult method")

or

2) Transfer the game's code from an unmodified crystal rom to your buggy hack rom ("Easier method")

Basically, since you haven't changed the game's coding at all, rather just some data the code uses like maps, texts and wild pokemon, you can simply copy paste all the data that is used for the game's code from a Pokemon Crystal (U) rom file to your buggy hacked rom.

I personally don't feel like explaining, how to divide data from code to do it "right". However, if you feel like this hack is significant enough and you really want to keep all the changes you have made, I guess I could take a look at it. Shouldn't take too long to do it anyhow.
Old 20th December 2013, 05:09 AM   #28
Kumar
KING OF AWESOMENESS

Kumar

while making my hack i ran into a bug:-
when oak gives me pokedex , the text say 'player receieved pokedex' but the pokedex doesn't show in menu. i didn't altered the script of oak.
what this could be?
pokemon hacker 2nd gen
follow me on twitter
@RomhackerKumar
Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 07:51 AM   #29
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar View Post
while making my hack i ran into a bug:-
when oak gives me pokedex , the text say 'player receieved pokedex' but the pokedex doesn't show in menu. i didn't altered the script of oak.
what this could be?
You most likely did alter the script that is made to give you the pokedex.
The script isn't actually that of Oak - he has no script at all in case you're talking about meeting Mr. Pokemon - as the whole thing is called from the Script Header.

The script is located at offset 0x188649. Check it out with pksv, and make sure "setbit2 0xB" command is run during the script.

If that's indeed not a problem, then something else could have gone wrong, but I personally doubt that. But that's somewhat possible too.
Old 25th January 2014, 01:29 AM   #30
Cruztown
Fish are cool

Cruztown

I've encountered an error with expanding Route 101 to be 36 tiles tall, which leads the running sprites from the Birch Attacked Event to not appear, despite me moving them in AMap.

The bag itself appears, but neither Birch nor Zigzagoon do during the event. I haven't altered the original script for the event, but given that the remaining events (the two boys and sign) still work after being moved, I'm not sure if expansion is causing it or not. If it is the script, would the 3 variables after "movesprite" be the person and then their coordinates on the map?

Edit: Yep, they are the starting coordinates for them. Fixed it. Following up, does expanding a map require it to be re-pointed, or am I just fine enlarging them as I please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birchnotworking.jpg (18.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: png Map Expansions Attempt.png (8.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Cruztown; 25th January 2014 at 01:48 AM.
Cruztown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
button, questions, search, simple