PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > ROM Hacking > Research Workshop

Research Workshop Been researching into something recently? Whether it's Gen 1 or Gen 6 share it here and get some help/feedback.

Old 17th July 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
DarkPsychic
Intermediate

DarkPsychic
Default Fire Red Bank System

This thread was made to help others add a Bank System to FR.
This is the second time I will have redone this thread but this time it is for the better.

Until I can acquire permission from the original thread owner to port the tutorials to PHO.
I will merely post links to the needed ASM and since Bela has posted a Bank script here in the thread, I hope others use this thread to share their Bank scripts as well.

For now lets get started

First you will need the "Minute Routines Frame Structure"

Once you have that done you will need "Introducing ASM to your Bank scripts"

With all that done now you need a Bank Script and also Multi-Choice editor to add the words Withdraw, Deposit and Balance...

I will be updating this thread from hear on out and will post the Bank Script I have that also includes an ATM as well...

I also hope others will post there Bank Scripts as well and if any one needs help or has questions just post a detailed comment so that if helpful enough I can post them here in the main post...

Credit goes to-
The community in general for its the efforts of many that make this all possible....

Last edited by DarkPsychic; 12th October 2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Was Irrelevant to the topic
DarkPsychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 17th July 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via MSN to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552

When I said those were scripts, I meant that you had found the actual scripting commands. Meaning you found the routine that is called when the script reaches the command "addmoney" and such.

On the second part, yes, you are correct. You will have to find the, most likely, battle script/regular script that runs at the end of a trainer battle that pays you money.
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes DarkPsychic liked this post
Old 19th July 2013, 05:43 AM   #3
DarkPsychic
Intermediate

DarkPsychic

So this code is technically useless then?

The Real code I need to find is the two you just mentioned then right?
Every man is your Teacher."
Old 27th July 2013, 12:32 AM   #4
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via MSN to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552

The routine at 080D7868 loads the message which says "PLAYER got $XXX for winning!". So, somewheres linking to that routine should be the routine that pays money in battle. Theoretically...
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:31 PM   #5
DarkPsychic
Intermediate

DarkPsychic

Alright then....

Sorry it has been awhile since I have been on, but am back now ^_^

I will be looking into this with what little knowledge I have on ASM as I have not had the time to really get my mind right and study. But I will see what I can do if anything at all.

I am hoping Someone eventually makes a good Pokémon GBA ASM video tutorial...
Maybe with your new Thumb IDE I will be able to finish this Idea of a Bank System so I may be able to re-vamp this thread with a actual meaningful purpose.

Thank you for the help you have given as well though ^_^
Old 25th November 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
mewthree9000

mewthree9000 mewthree9000

I agree, we need more ASM Video tutorials. I like the progress in this thread though. I need to follow up on this later when I'm on my PC.
Gotta Hack'em All!!

My current projects:
-Pokemon ChaosBlack[v2]
-!!Elite FireRed ROM Base!!
mewthree9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2013, 07:56 PM   #7
DarkPsychic
Intermediate

DarkPsychic

Some ASM video tutorials would be amazingly helpful...

I am still trying to find some one who understands this so I can get a start on my mod...
So if you know anyone or have any documentation that could help me that would be amazing...
Old 14th December 2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Le pug
la butt doit le sniff

Le pug

I talked to Bela, who has a bank in her Pokemon FR hack. Here is a screenshot:

I was interested so I asked her how she did it. She told me no ASM is needed.

She said she uses addvar and subvar, and a dedicated variable that the bank balance used.

I'm not too sure but she mentioned this to me when I was discussing a feature I was trying to implement into my hack, she provided that info. If you're shooting for ASM though, she said she thinks it'd be better but I mean the way she has it seems good enough for me.
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
DarkPsychic
Intermediate

DarkPsychic

^_^ Why Thank you Le pug

Hmm...
Would you happen to know what her hack is called?
And is she still active these days?

Also Does anyone know if we even still have ASM hackers in the community anymore?
Cause I just can't find any up to date asm/thumb tutorials that center around Pokémon Fire Red. I have tried to learn C, C++ and Qbasic but lose interest fast for the fact that it has nothing to do with what has inspired me to want to program in the first place... I feel that if I am not learning through hacking fire red then there is no point... I don't want to sit here for 2years just so I can "Eventually" write the Asm code that I need for this project... I learned XSE pretty fast I just wish I could get this hex editing, asm writing , and rom hacking down =(
Not only is this giving me a headache but now I have to figure out how to add more than 5 evolutions for one Pokémon to the game. So that Eevee can have all of its evolutions, Then figure out how to either make Yape to work with it or learn C#.net or Vb.net then make a new yape tool...... >_<
EHHH (*Hand to face*)
I am so lost at this point
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
Also Does anyone know if we even still have ASM hackers in the community anymore?
Cause I just can't find any up to date asm/thumb tutorials that center around Pokémon Fire Red. I have tried to learn C, C++ and Qbasic but lose interest fast for the fact that it has nothing to do with what has inspired me to want to program in the first place... I feel that if I am not learning through hacking fire red then there is no point... I don't want to sit here for 2years just so I can "Eventually" write the Asm code that I need for this project... I learned XSE pretty fast I just wish I could get this hex editing, asm writing , and rom hacking down =(
Well I personally don't see scripting code with XSE as hacking at all. That's programming and there is a slight difference. Of course, the two techniques go hand in hand and good programmers are often also good rom hackers, and the other way around.

If you want to learn how to create code and hack data structures (= this is what rom hacking basically is), you first have to study how the number systems (binary and hexadecimal along with 10-number based decimal) work and get familiar with them. Then, you're ready for starting to re-write all kinds of data with a hex editor and by practising, you ought to become "okay" with all kinds of data structures. Start off simple by editing short byte-tables and later on, try for exmaple to figure out how several hacking tools work and try to make yourself comfortable without them (for example, learn to create new trainers without the usage of A-trainer or other trainer editing utilities).

Understanding data structures helps you understand routines that use them - this is where asm comes to hacking.

All in all, rom hacking in a nutshell;
ASM (coding)
Pointers (links between asm routines and hex data)
Hex data (data that asm routines use)
Script code in a pokemon game = One among the several kinds of hex data structures

I personally learned by starting to play around with a hex editor and step by step, got better and better at hacking. One day, I started writing script codes with a hex editor and not long after that, took the first steps to writing asm routines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPsychic View Post
Not only is this giving me a headache but now I have to figure out how to add more than 5 evolutions for one Pokémon to the game. So that Eevee can have all of its evolutions, Then figure out how to either make Yape to work with it or learn C#.net or Vb.net then make a new yape tool...... >_<
EHHH (*Hand to face*)
I am so lost at this point
The creator of that tool would have probably programmed it to allow more than 5 evolutions if it was possible with the current game-engine. However, this is now one of the things that you need new asm routines for.
For one reason or another, the game doesn't allow more than 5 evolutions for one pokemon unless you modify the game's code to make it a possibility. That's probably not very simple since it might not be just about editing a byte or two, but to re-write some large routine as whole. Knowing how to program well is a useful skill when it comes to writing routines that serve for new functionalities in game. One could get literally anything out of the rom with the skill and right mindset.

Last edited by Miksy91; 22nd December 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Miksy91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bank, fire, red, research, system, [WIP]