PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Homebrew & Coding > Coding Discussion

Coding Discussion Discuss programming and coding and get help here.

Old 13th September 2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Black Charizard
Horus/Seth/Black Charizard.
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Black Charizard
Default HTML5, CSS3 Thread

Well let's make the first step.

This thread can currently be posted in for help with the most simple web programming languages. Post some code of yourself to let others give you ideas to make it even nicer like for example some good code conventions like certain spacing that makes it easier for you to use. especially when you have many many lines of code
Black Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 13th September 2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Full Metal ★
Unstable?
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Full Metal ★ Full Metal ★

I myself prefer to remove version numbers from javascript files, as well as .min. If you're using a js library, chances are you have no need to be concerned of the contents of it's script so minified should be implied. furthermore, take an android naming approach for them. ie:
input.game_engine.js
events.game_engine.js
graphics.game_engine.js
with javascript, modulizing is a really beautiful thing.
Also, some gems that I love to use are coffeescript, and lessCSS ( although, many prefer SASS for their css).
Coffeescript just really makes javascript much easier to work with ( it's a language that is purely intended to be translated into javascript ). It handles OOP much more gracefully than javascript, as well as dealing with many of javascript's subtle language quirks ( the var keyword, especially as well as scope and namespacing ). It also further forces you to see things as objects -- always a great coding practice. The notations it uses to define functions also makes function binding easier, and the shorthand for this. is just @.
For any web design things, I always reccomend taking an asynchronous / even based approach. That is where the web is heading. IDDB supports async only. AJAX is only mentally sane to use in async. Many uses for setTimeout make async a requirement. User input implies an async practice. Everything about the web involves async. Use it to your advantage.
Make use of your developer tools, and use console.log instead of alert for debugging purposes.
A library like knockoutjs or angularjs are great alternatives to jQuery. Try to avoid jQuery altogether. CSS3 animations are much more powerful, and if your target system doesn't have them there's a high chance that you should not be trying to emulate them.

★ full metal.

#busy
Full Metal ★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Black Charizard liked this post
Old 27th February 2014, 09:27 AM   #3
andrikaa
n00b

andrikaa

Enable javascript in my browser? I was just wondering what enable javascript in my browser does. Im doing somthing on my computer and its telling me to do this. Will doing this harm my computer? what does it even do. I will choose best answer as soon as possible.

Last edited by andrikaa; 28th February 2014 at 11:00 AM.
andrikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Full Metal ★
Unstable?
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Full Metal ★ Full Metal ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrikaa View Post
Enable javascript in my browser? I was just wondering what enable javascript in my browser does. Im doing somthing on my computer and its telling me to do this. Will doing this harm my computer? what does it even do. I will choose best answer as soon as possible.
Enabling javascript in your browser will bring you back into the modern times.

Also, for future reference, your question would warrant a new thread in perhaps the offtopic section.

★ full metal.

#busy
Full Metal ★ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css3, html5, thread