PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Homebrew & Coding > Homebrew Projects

Homebrew Projects Working on a Homebrew project of some kind? Come and show it off!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator
 
Pia Carrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Valencia Island
Age: 21
Posts: 848
Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Rush View Post
Just so you know, in case you decide to add Gen 6 Pokemon, some names go past the 10-character limit, such as Fletchinder.

Though personally I wouldn't bother with including Gen 6 Pokemon... I might make sprites for them, but only after the rest of the Gens are complete in my sprite project.
If he's coding an engine from scratch, couldn't he make it longer anyways?
__________________

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 25th October 2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff
 
Jambo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 92
Jambo51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
If he's coding an engine from scratch, couldn't he make it longer anyways?
I certainly could, although I don't want to, to be honest. What's the longest name now? It's rather important that I know this since I need to keep everything aligned, and it obviously costs more memory to store a longer species name in the data (since I assume that nickname length correspondingly increased too).

An extra 4 bytes (as an example) would cost me:
6 * 4 + 6 * 4 + 1 * 4 + 25 * (30 * 4)
= 24 + 24 + 4 + 25 * 120
= 52 + 3000
= 3052 bytes of RAM space, so as you can see, this is a not insignificant change!
__________________
I have nothing interesting to add
Jambo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 02:13 PM   #23
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator
 
Pia Carrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Valencia Island
Age: 21
Posts: 848
Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
I certainly could, although I don't want to, to be honest. What's the longest name now? It's rather important that I know this since I need to keep everything aligned, and it obviously costs more memory to store a longer species name in the data (since I assume that nickname length correspondingly increased too).

An extra 4 bytes (as an example) would cost me:
6 * 4 + 6 * 4 + 1 * 4 + 25 * (30 * 4)
= 24 + 24 + 4 + 25 * 120
= 52 + 3000
= 3052 bytes of RAM space, so as you can see, this is a not insignificant change!
Just checked, Fletchinder is the only one that goes above 10 characters at 11 characters in its name.

Obviously seems ridiculous for one pokemon and can easily be bypassed by spelling it like Fletchnder.
__________________

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 03:43 PM   #24
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff
 
Jambo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 92
Jambo51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Just checked, Fletchinder is the only one that goes above 10 characters at 11 characters in its name.

Obviously seems ridiculous for one pokemon and can easily be bypassed by spelling it like Fletchnder.
By rejigging the setup of the Pokémon struct and compressing the data size of the experience and combining it with forme value and force shiny, I was able to free up an extra byte to add to the nickname field, meaning you can now have nicknames of 11 characters in length.
__________________
I have nothing interesting to add
Jambo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 06:13 PM   #25
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion
 
Kalos_Zeikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 11
Kalos_Zeikku
Default

Great advancements to your engine, man. This is incredible. I really look forward to seeing some screens and visual examples; keep at it!
Kalos_Zeikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Team Fail liked this post
Old 29th October 2013, 07:33 PM   #26
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP
 
Team Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 585
Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail
Default

Something I'm curious about - Will players be able to utilise the Link Cable and/or the Wireless Adapter if they so choose? Since there's people with flashcards, it could be beneficial to add such features.
__________________
twitter | dropbox | youtube | bro

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 09:34 PM   #27
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff
 
Jambo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 92
Jambo51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Something I'm curious about - Will players be able to utilise the Link Cable and/or the Wireless Adapter if they so choose? Since there's people with flashcards, it could be beneficial to add such features.
Depends on whether I can find out how to do linking. That said, the Pokémon from this engine will be inherently incompatible with those from generation III because the setup has been drastically changed.
__________________
I have nothing interesting to add
Jambo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 09:49 PM   #28
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP
 
Team Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 585
Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Depends on whether I can find out how to do linking. That said, the Pokémon from this engine will be inherently incompatible with those from generation III because the setup has been drastically changed.
Yeah, I didn't think they'd be compatible, but at least it prevents these fangames from communicating with retail games.
__________________
twitter | dropbox | youtube | bro

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 07:15 AM   #29
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff
 
Jambo51's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 92
Jambo51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
Yeah, I didn't think they'd be compatible, but at least it prevents these fangames from communicating with retail games.
Well, that is unless I were somehow able to detect that what you were trading with was a retail game and convert the format to match the retail format, then send it. It's technically possible, but not easy I shouldn't think.
__________________
I have nothing interesting to add
Jambo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 10:26 PM   #30
droomph
握りモンスター
Ex-StaffPHO VIP
 
droomph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: maybe.
Age: 20
Posts: 439
droomph
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
Well, that is unless I were somehow able to detect that what you were trading with was a retail game and convert the format to match the retail format, then send it. It's technically possible, but not easy I shouldn't think.
Or maybe people shouldn't be trading from flash carts anyways, so this isn't a big problem
__________________
droomph is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, homebrew, jambo51, pokemon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Pokémon characters and images belong to Pokémon USA, Inc. and Nintendo.
Pokémon Hackers Online (PHO) is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo LLC, Creatures, GAMEFREAK inc,
The Pokémon Company, Pokémon USA, Inc., The Pokémon Company International, or Wizards of the Coast.
All forum/site content (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2006-2013 Pokémon Hackers Online (PHO).
Green Charizard Christos TreeckoLv100

"Black 2" by ARTPOP. Kyurem artwork by XOUS.

no new posts