PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion > ROM Hacking Discussion

ROM Hacking Discussion General ROM Hacking discussion.

User Tag List

Old 6th November 2013, 11:01 AM   #11
AntiRellik
Glorified n00b

AntiRellik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91 View Post
Sorry, but totally untrue. When you have a tool like A-Map (which works perfectly if you just keep track of where to input new data so you won't corrupt the music, and even if you do, getting the music back shouldn't be a problem. I have never heard of an error in programming which couldn't be fixed.), what else do you need?

I've been making a major hack of pokemon silver for over three years and the most useful tools so far have been;
1) Map editor
2) Script editor (scripting in byte-form isn't that convenient...)
3) Hex editor
4) ASM tools (asm editor, debugger)

Tools, such as FSF(!), A-Starter(!), ... and the list goes on an on, wouldn't have to exist. The programmers of those tools surely knew how to work with that data so that they could program a tool which could do that in the place of a hex editor.

So instead of ranting about how most hacking tools are useless, I just wanted to point out that we don't really need them. Emerald and even gen II games(, can't say for gen I since it should have a more proper map editor with event editing abilities) have enough support as it is. You just have to learn to make use of it.
I'm actually talking about support from people in general, not support in tools. Support in things like research and sharing knowledge. I think Emerald is a very nice ROM base and if it had as much support as FireRed does, we'd be a long way. I don't know why the heck you started talking about tools. "So instead of ranting about how most hacking tools are useless" - Never said anything about tools being useless. If I did, quote me. If tools aren't designed for hacking Emerald, no problem. It can surely be done in hex.
AntiRellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 6th November 2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Miksy91
Gotta fill something here.

Miksy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik View Post
I'm actually talking about support from people in general, not support in tools. Support in things like research and sharing knowledge. I think Emerald is a very nice ROM base and if it had as much support as FireRed does, we'd be a long way. I don't know why the heck you started talking about tools. "So instead of ranting about how most hacking tools are useless" - Never said anything about tools being useless. If I did, quote me. If tools aren't designed for hacking Emerald, no problem. It can surely be done in hex.
Well you can always do the required research on your own. FireRed isn't really that well documented either. The actual code and data is almost 8 megabytes long which is ridiculously large in terms of re-programming things with hex and asm editing utilities.

Normally when you want to change something, you really don't have the documentation to do it. That's when asm knowledge and debugging comes to play which is a part of rom hacking just like everything else is.

It's been quite long since I did that but once I tried how difficult it would be to hack a snes game called "Goof Troop" which has no documentation available at all. I started off with reading how snes pointers work, and surprisingly (didn't know how to program with CPU language just yet), was able to locate where the map datas of the playable areas are located because I had an idea of what I was doing all along. This is what hacking is about. Anyone knows how to make a certain effect to happen in the game if they are given a step-by-step tutorial on achieving it. But that's not what rom hacking is - and it's no fun for that matter either :P

Surely tutorials are helpful and it's nice to find research related to things you'd like to do. But if there are no available, you've gotta do the research yourself.
Old 6th November 2013, 07:06 PM   #13
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

You know what grinds my gears? How someone back in the Emerald hacking days stated that it uses 00 bytes as free space... and due to that has almost completely ruined the Emerald hacking experience for most users, because every tool is hard coded to use 00 bytes, and there's only a few tools that let you change that.

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 7th November 2013, 03:19 AM   #14
AntiRellik
Glorified n00b

AntiRellik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miksy91 View Post
Well you can always do the required research on your own. FireRed isn't really that well documented either. The actual code and data is almost 8 megabytes long which is ridiculously large in terms of re-programming things with hex and asm editing utilities.

Normally when you want to change something, you really don't have the documentation to do it. That's when asm knowledge and debugging comes to play which is a part of rom hacking just like everything else is.

It's been quite long since I did that but once I tried how difficult it would be to hack a snes game called "Goof Troop" which has no documentation available at all. I started off with reading how snes pointers work, and surprisingly (didn't know how to program with CPU language just yet), was able to locate where the map datas of the playable areas are located because I had an idea of what I was doing all along. This is what hacking is about. Anyone knows how to make a certain effect to happen in the game if they are given a step-by-step tutorial on achieving it. But that's not what rom hacking is - and it's no fun for that matter either :P

Surely tutorials are helpful and it's nice to find research related to things you'd like to do. But if there are no available, you've gotta do the research yourself.
I agree. It's been 5 years since I've hacked a rom so I'm sort of relearning some stuff and getting up to speed. Pretty soon I'll start looking more into Emerald.
AntiRellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 04:36 AM   #15
diegoisawesome
Working on Shining Opal, kinda
Ex-Staff

diegoisawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkandzelda View Post
You know what grinds my gears? How someone back in the Emerald hacking days stated that it uses 00 bytes as free space... and due to that has almost completely ruined the Emerald hacking experience for most users, because every tool is hard coded to use 00 bytes, and there's only a few tools that let you change that.
You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that Emerald has both 00 and FF free space depending on what part of the ROM you look at, and that hackers (*cough*LU-HO*cough*) used the wrong area of 00 free space.
diegoisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

You know what grinds my gears? Hacking Emerald in general.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Linkandzelda liked this post
Old 7th November 2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that Emerald has both 00 and FF free space depending on what part of the ROM you look at, and that hackers (*cough*LU-HO*cough*) used the wrong area of 00 free space.
Hackmew too, and everyone else lol. That 00 isn't exactly defined as free space but you can overwrite it with FF and it becomes free space... someone should make an Emerald clean up patch for that.

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2013, 07:59 PM   #18
soulryu
Pirate Trainer

soulryu

You what really grinds my gears? when a noob doesn't know what Rom to hack.
Example:
Noob: hey i wanna make a pokemon game about insects
Normal person: cool what rom do you want to use?
Noob: well letz use leafgreen cause it already matches the theme of the game

soulryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes karatekid552 liked this post
Old 2nd January 2014, 01:27 AM   #19
BlackAnarchy★
Youngest ***** Member

BlackAnarchy★
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiRellik View Post
You know what really grinds MY gears? Not enough support for Emerald. Nobody cares.
You know what also grinds my gears AND blows my gasket? Good hackers not sharing their knowledge and saying "Nope, sorry, thats private".

That's it. I'll hack Crystal Dust or Liquid Crystal. A hack of a hack. We put a fork in your fork so you can eat while you eat.
I hate that sort of hackers that aren't willing to share a thing. How the hell did you start hacking, huh? With a bunch of other hackers sharing their knowledge TO YOU.
I hate it when people who made Hack of the Year are too much of a snob to tell me how they made such a good game.

You know what grinds my gears when people look at someone's hack and says well I can't do this because well I'm too good for it.
BlackAnarchy★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 02:03 AM   #20
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
I guarantee you, that a misunderstanding of what happened here, is the reason you had that VM convo about emerald having bad coding.:P
karatekid552 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gears, grinds, hacking, pokemon, rom