What does this button do?.....
Join Date: Feb 2013
Pokémon Gen III Rom Hacking Suite
At the time when tools like YAPE and A-map were created, nobody was thinking about advances in hacking technique that would enable the addition of new types, new moves, and even, an increase in the number of Pokémon. However, those times are gone. Now, we have several tutorials on adding new types and moves, a solid research foundation for new Pokémon, as well as a lot more advances that have rendered tools useless, like expanded OWs. In addition to this, the support for operating systems other than Windows is little to none. Being a Linux user, this got me thinking that we needed a new set of tools for the future.
Shinyquagsire has already begun taking care of scripting and mapping with Script Editor Advance (SEA) and Map Editor of Happiness (MEH), both written in Java. My forte is Python, which is also cross-platform. So, in December 2013, I began creating a cross platform hacking suite. The first tab is a Pokémon data editor, designed for the future. It can support new types, new moves, new Pokémon and so much more. Eventually, it will have many more tabs and pop-out windows to edit all sorts of things. So, let's begin.
- Expand the number of Pokémon on FireRed (E).
- Expand the number of Evolutions per Pokémon.
- Repoint and expand move sets.
- Supports expanded types, moves, Pokémon, etc with only small changes to the ini.
- Dynamic ini system to allow you to make changes without affecting other roms.
- Edit stats, moves, Pokédex entries, sprites, egg moves, move tutors, and more.
- Full support for formed Pokémon like Castform.
- Automatic space freeing upon repoint.
- Brand new features and editors every release.
The documentation for this tool comes as a pdf with the download. Please note that this tool has many features that are brand new, so it is important that you read the documentation to understand how not to break things. Here is also a DropBox link if you want to read through it before downloading:
- DoesntKnowHowToPlay- For all of his research into expanding evolutions and his tutorial on adding new Pokemon.
- GoGoJJTech - For also being apart of the expanding pokemon research.
- Interdpth- For providing me with a lot of different help in trying to compress LZ77 data.
- Shiny Quagsire- For trying to help me find an LZ77 decompression function.
- Full Metal- For his massive Python knowledge that has helped me everywhere.
- Jambo51- For not ignoring me when I couldn't figure things out.:P
- FBI Agent- Tons of general advice on how to make this program more efficient, though I haven't gotten to implementing many of them yet.
- MrDollSteak- Icons, advice, and tons of beta testing.
- Strawberry- For being an amazing graphic artist and making this thread look just right.
- Le Pug: "The Breaker of Tools:P"
- browniebiznatch - Mac
- wael96 - Windows (GBK Chinese Encoding)
If I forgot your name here or in the credits, please let me know!
//Attention non-Windows Users
Currently, I am running Windows XP and Ubuntu 13.10 on my computer and openSUSE on a separate machine. This means that I have the ability to create binaries only for Windows and those two types of Linux. So the binaries I make may not work on Arch, Fedora, old Ubuntu, Mac, and most other operating systems. This is where you come in: if you run one of the unsupported OSs, let me know. I can teach you how to package and make binaries that you can help me distribute. The reddit mod browniebiznatch has agreed to help me make a package for Mac. Once I set you up and teach you what to do, it will be as simple as pulling down the latest version, running a single command, and then uploading. Not bad.
If you just want to run it without packaging, you should familiarize yourself with how Python works and then install these python libraries:
-Python Imaging Library (PIL)
-wxPython (v2.8; v3.0 won't load this for some reason)
Then, you can run my code from command line via "python main.py" when inside of the folder that contains the source code.
Thank you to everyone who made this possible!
Until next time,
If you didn't do it like a BOSS, you didn't do it RIGHT!
Last edited by karatekid552; 25th August 2014 at 01:41 AM.