PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Notices

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

Old 2nd June 2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

I want to pretty much echo everything @Bela said because he hit the nail right square on the damn head. PC's hack quality is much lower compared to ours, so if we get on board with the hack competitions and perhaps advertise the everliving shit out of it, we could get some significant increase in quality of hacks all around, as well as having more hacks in our showcase. This'd be something I'm in favor of.

Although, having it quarterly (HotQ [Hack of the Quarter], HotS [Hack of the Season] would be suitable) is much nicer, that way, the best-of in each category can be voted upon at the end of the year for the HotY.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Bela liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Alice
ClariS <3
Style AdminstratorAdministratorPHO VIP

Alice Alice

Don't really need me to point out everything that everyone else has already so I'll just agree that quarterly (although I'd go with seasonal because it sounds nicer) would be best, and then the winners from each HotS get put into judging for the HotY.

"I dreamt that you were a dog. And the dog was my husband. Anyway, it was the worst dream ever." — Aisaka Taiga
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Would anyone be against me changing the Summer Hacking Contest to a Hack of the Season?
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 10:31 PM   #14
Icey
Ahoy!
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Would anyone be against me changing the Summer Hacking Contest to a Hack of the Season?
Sure, why not? So it's four HotS a year, one HotY?
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:35 PM   #15
HidoranBlaze
Such Swampert

HidoranBlaze

I definitely agree with the notion of a HotQ/HotY here in PHO; from what I've seen so far in this forum, the quality of hacks seems superior to the buggy messes inexperienced hackers in Pokecommunity seem eager to release. I think voting could work, as long as people give their own logical reasoning for why their nominated hack deserves the award, instead of just saying "I vote for this hack cuz it's awesome", like Pokecommunity does. I'm also in favor of a mid-year hack contest, since as we all know, making a rom hack takes time. 6 months, to me, seems like an adequate amount of time to create a good representation of a hack, and it would increase the number of hacks eligible for competing.
Also, since this is my first post: Hi guys!
HidoranBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Bela liked this post
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:05 AM   #16
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
PHO VIP

Bela

This is all good to hear! I'm glad there's a lot of support for this idea! =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Don't really need me to point out everything that everyone else has already so I'll just agree that quarterly (although I'd go with seasonal because it sounds nicer) would be best, and then the winners from each HotS get put into judging for the HotY.
The following scenario is exactly why we shouldn't have this as the setup: Imagine a hack doesn't win a HotS and makes improvements throughout the year. It should be eligible for future competitions, including HotY. Shutting out hacks that don't win a HotS for the HotY competition seems to me like an undesirable approach if we're wanting to make our competitions as inclusive and fair as possible.

I also think it should be at the hack creator's discretion whether or not they are participating in a competition. I could see situations where people would rather continue working on their projects than enter a competition merely because there happens to be one active.
Bela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 12:27 AM   #17
Alice
ClariS <3
Style AdminstratorAdministratorPHO VIP

Alice Alice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela View Post
The following scenario is exactly why we shouldn't have this as the setup: Imagine a hack doesn't win a HotS and makes improvements throughout the year. It should be eligible for future competitions, including HotY. Shutting out hacks that don't win a HotS for the HotY competition seems to me like an undesirable approach if we're wanting to make our competitions as inclusive and fair as possible.
Ah, I was taking a completely different approach with the HotY. I was looking at HotY as an overall winner of the previous competitions, rather than a separate competition. I can see your point, but we are looking at it as different things which could cause problems. If we are looking at HotY as the best hack on the site at the end of the year then by all means everyone should be able to enter. Depends on perspective I guess.

Also it's not like they are only gonna get one chance to get into the HotY, there'll be presumably four competitions each with different categories, so everyone has 4 x however many categories there are chances to get into HotY. I mean if they have been making improvements throughout the year but don't manage to win in the Winter competition then they are unlikely to win in HotY, which would presumably take place iiin...late December or January, both in winter.

But yeah, just my two cents

"I dreamt that you were a dog. And the dog was my husband. Anyway, it was the worst dream ever." — Aisaka Taiga
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2014, 03:05 AM   #18
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

I like the idea of seasons, as long as the dates are concrete.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hotm or y, thoughts