PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > General Chat > Off-Topic Talk

Off-Topic Talk Feel like chilling and talking about random stuff? In the Off-Topic section you can talk about anything unrelated to the other sections.

Old 31st January 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
SirReglin
n00b

SirReglin
Question New around here, desperate for help (GEN III)

Greetings PHO,

So I have recently taken up my childhood's hobby that is Pokémon by running an emulator (VisualBoyAdvance) on my computer (Macbook Pro 10.6.8). I've now finished getting through emerald (Gen 3) after doing the same on Firered in the same manner. Being that I and the games have evolved while we were apart, I now begin discovering the intricate beauty of Pokémon's metagame through my researching EV's, IV's, egg moves ect. However, accompanying this pleasure of discovery is the frustration at the fact that the games are built so that I need more than one of them to get many many Pokémon (a thing important for chain breeding). I have done research on other online sites, risked a few Gameshark cheats, but nothing is letting me encounter those version exclusive Pokémon I need. So I am now turning towards what seems the most promising collection of individuals to help me with my problem.
I desperately want to possess the variety of Pokémon that will most enhance my enjoyment of the game. The most preferable thing, in my opinion, would be some way to trade between my different emulations. I have seen pdfs and videos on how to do it but only on PCs. Everywhere I have looked, I've seen/read that such within-one-computer trading is impossible on macs. If this is truly the case, how else can I accomplish the same end goal? I'd rather not use risky cheat codes or things that may degenerate my game and everything I've done so far, but I may resort to that if that's what it takes (honestly though, a great deal of the fun of the game is taken away if, to catch an elusive creature I've coveted for weeks, I type in a line of data).
Does anyone have a suggestion for me? A solution, dare I hope? I would be eternally thankful (I'll even put you in the list of those to whom I owe gratitude when I am awarded "Best Pokémon Breeder in Forevers").
Thanks for reading my long post,
SirReglin
SirReglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 31st January 2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

You can always use windows emulation software with VBA-M to trade between games, hack the version exclusives into the game itself, or use gameshark codes.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 07:16 PM   #3
SirReglin
n00b

SirReglin

Ok, so I've looked around for linking with myself over a windows system and it seems easy enough. That being said, I also looked into emulating windows on my Mac... which apparently is not so easy. Do you have a recommendation as to how I could go about emulating windows on my MacBook (10.6.8)?
Old 31st January 2014, 07:21 PM   #4
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Not really, I've never used nor intend to ever use a mac or similar apple product (besides for learning how to troubleshoot one in a tech class). If anyone on this forum uses a mac for hacking and knows something about this they might be able to help.

I'm a boob
Old 31st January 2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Using VirtualBox it's really simple to install a full windows OS that you launch in a window like it was any other program and you could run your windows programs in there. If you thought you might end up wanting or needing a lot of windows programs in the future (for hacking or other things) OSX includes BootCamp that guides you through the process of setting up a dual-boot configuration where you can choose to boot into either Mac OSX or Windows when you turn your Mac on (by default it just boots into OSX normally). Like Pia, I don't have a Mac and have no desire to ever use them because I hate everything about Apple as a corporation (I also don't own an iPod or have iTunes installed on my PC or any of that, haha). But I have friends who use Macs and I've helped one of them install XP using Boot Camp before so I might be able to help you if you chose to go that route. Or if you went with Virtual Box I could probably help you with that too. Other than those options not sure what to say off the top of my head though, since both of those require you to have access to a windows install CD (or at least an ISO file of one).

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 09:28 AM   #6
SirReglin
n00b

SirReglin

Thanks to both of you for your answers Mateo and Pia Carrot.
The route that appeals to me the most is that of running windows on my mac. I don't think I'll need much space on the new windows OS, so VirtualBox would probably satisfy; I'd prefer the simplest course however, so I'll defer to you on which that would be (Virtualbox or Bootcamp method). But for now, what would you say is the minimum windows OS that I need to acquire?
I had another thought: since the ".exe" format is the problem with the emulators that allow trading, could I not convert that into some other, mac-compatible format?
Old 1st February 2014, 04:31 PM   #7
SirReglin
n00b

SirReglin

New angle: my friend has a comp and emulates games on it (it's a PC). Would it be possible for me send him my save files for my two games, and then he does the transfer? Would the save files be compatible between VBA and VBA-Link? Has anyone tried across OS transfers?
Old 1st February 2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

I've never tried it but given the way SAV files work I don't see why it wouldn't work. And assuming you don't delete the one on your Mac when you send it over to him, the worst that will happen is that he will try to open it, see that it doesn't work, and you won't have lost anything because you still have the original save. But yeah I would say try trading on his PC and see if that solves your problem.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Save files aren't determined on OS, so they are compatible.

I'm a boob
Old 1st February 2014, 06:11 PM   #10
SirReglin
n00b

SirReglin

Awesome! Now this sounds like the simplest and most hassle-free method of dealing with this 'no-trade' issue. Thanks for confirming the save file compatibility. I'll update this thread with the results in case anyone else has the same issue.

Tags
catching, desperate, emerald, emulator, exclusivity, gen, iii, versions