PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Central PHO > Site Talk & Suggestions

Site Talk & Suggestions If you need to talk to us about the site or perhaps get help with a problem or make a suggestion, you can do it here. This section is NOT for Rom Hacking questions or anything related to Rom Hacking!
Important Links:
> Forum Rules, Forum Staff

Old 9th November 2014, 12:17 AM   #1
mewthree9000
What does this button do?.....

mewthree9000 mewthree9000
Default Fun

I feel like Pokemon ROM Hacking is almost dead because of the absence of the unity that was once available for the people involved. We used to be teams of inspiring losers who were outcasts of society for being too unique, intelligent, or weird to have social lives. Now it feels like the only ones that experienced those things are getting consumed with life and moving on.

ROM hacking spirit used to be strong. I used to neglect sleep for weeks just to find a piece of data or learn to complete a programming procedure. I had a sense of determination that drove me to do or learn things that nobody in my age group would have ever given notice to. I overcame many obstacles in my life because of a group of people that I would never meet in person. Those people were my family, they made my family problems invisible.

I gained a legacy from ROM Hacking, a legacy I never really thought that I would have. I guess a little fun and curiosity goes a long way and changes a lot of lives. I meet people on the streets every day that have played my ridiculous hacks and have no idea who I am. I just smile as they describe projects I birthed into creation. I like that ROM hacking allows everyone to change the world.

I guess what I'm trying to say is Pokemon Hacking changed my life and I wish that it didn't have to end...
I miss you guys. I miss what Pokemon Hacking used to be.

If I had the power, I would grasp the earth with the hands of a deity and forge a new community, a community that didn't give a s*** about pride or the obsession with who was better. I would create a Pokemon Hacking community that only cares about creating fun.

Maybe fun is the missing ingredient of PHO. Maybe we can get it all back.
Gotta Hack'em All!!

My current projects:
-Pokemon ChaosBlack[v2]
-!!Elite FireRed ROM Base!!

Last edited by mewthree9000; 9th November 2014 at 12:19 AM.
mewthree9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 9th November 2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Raiimeister
Kill

Raiimeister

That's Kinda Touching Pal, Its Hard For Me To Give A Proper Opinion On Topic. But Whatever Just Heads Up And Good Luck Sticking On The Rom Hacking Path.
Old 9th November 2014, 01:54 AM   #3
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

Yeah, the hacking scene has definitely changed a lot these days from the way we remember it. Good times, good times. Maybe we can bring that sense of community back somehow though.

*Hums the theme from Community*

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Mateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Crystal Togekiss liked this post
Old 9th November 2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Crystal Togekiss
Eternal n00b

Crystal Togekiss

Mewthree, I will do my very best to make you proud.
Old 9th November 2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

I feel as though it's not as competitive as it was, say, 4 years ago but it's definitely more dead now, so maybe that's why. But when hacks that break several layers of game code, half-assed sprites that are pixelated and tiles covered in irfanview dither and horrible palettes end up getting famous, it ends up just being something fun to do. Why compete when your competition is a god awful glob of mess?

At least, that's how my competitive drive with hacking has died. I can't speak for the years before 2010, but even in just 4 years ROM Hacking has changed, for the worse.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

This brought tears to my eyes.

Back when I joined, I was odd. I came here to be with a group of people who shared my quirkiness. I now see that this website changed my life forever. Sure, I don't sit around and play hacks like I used to, but the memories will stay with me. You guys are all amazing. I know it's just a forums. I know it's just bits of data within the whole web, but I am proud to have been a part of this place.

I miss the old days. The days when I skipped things I should have been doing, to go input that script I'd been thinking about for days. Man, those were the days. I wish we never had to grow up. I felt so included here. Sure, I never actually finished a hack or was famous by any standards, but I felt like I belonged here.

So, I just want to thank everyone on here, past and present, for impacting my life in such a great way.

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Alice, Pia Carrot liked this post
Old 9th November 2014, 03:53 PM   #7
Banjora Marxvile
They see me rollin'
Ex-Staff

Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa View Post
I wish we never had to grow up. I felt so included here. Sure, I never actually finished a hack or was famous by any standards, but I felt like I belonged here.
This. This is so me right now, except I can't script only insert tiles, and even then it's been a while. But that's the thing, people were still accepted even if it was at a basic understanding as long as they were willing to learn and open themselves to the fact that they didn't know everything. i remember a time when I was considered a great at tile inserting, which isn't saying much :P Now I'm a has been but would I change that? Nope, I still love this community as it's so much more than that to me.

Hey, my name is Banjora Marxvile.
I am the Moderator of the ROM Hacks section on this site.
If you have any questions or anything you want tto ask, please don't hesitate.
Banjora Marxvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 9th November 2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Alice
ClariS <3
Style AdminstratorPHO VIPSuper Moderator

Alice Alice

I've never really made much of a contribution to the community hacking wise, I can do it but I just haven't. But this community has still changed my life, whether that's for the better or worse I don't know yet, but I am happy regardless. Hacking itself has definitely gone down the shitter, possibly due to how mainstream it has become..causing the same issues that happen with modern gaming (shit games). There are still some good parts of the community left though, something I feel we've captured here, everyone has just..grown up I guess. I'd say I hope that we can go back to how things were back along, but I don't think I do really. There is no sense in living in the past, we just need to make sure that we improve on what we have now.

"I dreamt that you were a dog. And the dog was my husband. Anyway, it was the worst dream ever." — Aisaka Taiga
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa liked this post
Old 9th November 2014, 10:10 PM   #9
Crystal Togekiss
Eternal n00b

Crystal Togekiss

I haven't been around long enough to see this old world, but I can see this "new" world for what it is- a new beginning. There's no need to be sad. Things may have changed, but it's not all for the worse!

More people means more ROMHacks, which in turn means more shitty ROMHacks, but it also means new idea, new hope, new inspiration. Trust me, this world is a phoenix.
Crystal Togekiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Sky0fBlades, Elsa liked this post

Tags
fun