PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > General Chat > Off-Topic Talk

Off-Topic Talk Feel like chilling and talking about random stuff? In the Off-Topic section you can talk about anything unrelated to the other sections.

Old 26th November 2014, 02:26 AM   #11
Cress
The Weirdo

Cress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
What specifically is not working? You saying it's not working is not enough information for me to help you with this.

This program does work with Sapphire but some offsets may be missing from the ini.
Nevermind, it works fine on other roms...
Cress is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 27th November 2014, 05:24 AM   #12
JadedPKMN
n00b

JadedPKMN
Default GNU GPL...?

This program's license has a couple of problems...

It doesn't respect the users freedom to help thy neighbor. You cannot share the program without permission... I can't upload it to my Google Drive and tell my friend "Hey, check out this cool program!"
Quote:
1. Re-uploading of this program is not allowed without permission.
It doesn't specify what "other program" is in section 6.
Quote:
6. You are allowed to use code from this program in other programs as long as credit is given.
I could simply redistribute PGE and call it a different program that uses all of the code, to bypass 1, making 1 pointless.

I recommend using a more mature license that has tested legal standing- the GNU GPL is one of the best Free/Open-source licenses out there (If not the best) and it would make things easier for you and the user if it was licensed under a GPL-compatible license.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

Just a friendly note...

Last edited by JadedPKMN; 27th November 2014 at 05:27 AM.
JadedPKMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedPKMN View Post

It doesn't respect the users freedom to help thy neighbor. You cannot share the program without permission... I can't upload it to my Google Drive and tell my friend "Hey, check out this cool program!"
I could simply redistribute PGE and call it a different program that uses all of the code, to bypass 1, making 1 pointless.

I recommend using a more mature license that has tested legal standing- the GNU GPL is one of the best Free/Open-source licenses out there (If not the best) and it would make things easier for you and the user if it was licensed under a GPL-compatible license.

Just a friendly note...
The goal is basically to try prevent people from recompiling the program with malicious code and then redistributing it which has happened in the past.
Old 27th November 2014, 05:20 PM   #14
JadedPKMN
n00b

JadedPKMN

Quote:
The goal is basically to try prevent people from recompiling the program with malicious code and then redistributing it which has happened in the past.
I see. Then I purpose an alternate license:

This only allows modified binaries to be redistributed with your permission; unless you don't respond to the request in 62 days. After 62 days, they may distribute the modified binary, but only if the "CREDIT.txt" file stays in-tact, so that you have credit.
The reason for the "62 day" clause:
The danger of the author abandoning a project for good and not even looking at requests is real, and similar licenses have lead projects to death because the author never acknowledges requests for redistribution after abandoning the project- this would prevent Pokemon Game Editor from ever dying.

http://jadedskyus.com/public.php?ser...2db99&download

If you use this license, you need to set up an AUTHORS.txt file in the source-code that has your email or some such contact information, and a CREDITS.txt file in the source-code that also describes you as the author.

Last edited by JadedPKMN; 27th November 2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 27th November 2014, 06:41 PM   #15
Banjora Marxvile
They see me rollin'
Ex-Staff

Banjora Marxvile

Quote:

Just a friendly note...
I'm not the creator, but I can easily argue against some of your points in a different way:

1. You want to share the tool to recommend it - link this forum or his site. you don't HAVE to upload it yourself to share it, do you?

2. Other program - as in don't use any of the code directly from this program. Pretty straightforward imo.

Hey, my name is Banjora Marxvile.
I am the Moderator of the ROM Hacks section on this site.
If you have any questions or anything you want tto ask, please don't hesitate.
Banjora Marxvile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014, 07:31 PM   #16
JadedPKMN
n00b

JadedPKMN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
I'm not the creator, but I can easily argue against some of your points in a different way:

1. You want to share the tool to recommend it - link this forum or his site. you don't HAVE to upload it yourself to share it, do you?

2. Other program - as in don't use any of the code directly from this program. Pretty straightforward imo.
1. That was merely an example- and of course you don't have to. But there's no harm in doing so, unless it's modified. It should be OK to redistribute VERBATIM copies, and modified copies with permission.

2. It says that you can use code directly from this program, however.
Likes Banjora Marxvile liked this post
Old 27th November 2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Gamer2020
What does this button do?.....
PHO VIP

Gamer2020

Quote:
I see. Then I purpose an alternate license:

This only allows modified binaries to be redistributed with your permission; unless you don't respond to the request in 62 days. After 62 days, they may distribute the modified binary, but only if the "CREDIT.txt" file stays in-tact, so that you have credit.
The reason for the "62 day" clause:
The danger of the author abandoning a project for good and not even looking at requests is real, and similar licenses have lead projects to death because the author never acknowledges requests for redistribution after abandoning the project- this would prevent Pokemon Game Editor from ever dying.

http://jadedskyus.com/public.php?ser...2db99&download

If you use this license, you need to set up an AUTHORS.txt file in the source-code that has your email or some such contact information, and a CREDITS.txt file in the source-code that also describes you as the author.
I think I'll just leave it as it is. Thank you for your concern.
Old 27th November 2014, 09:48 PM   #18
JadedPKMN
n00b

JadedPKMN

Quote:
I think I'll just leave it as it is. Thank you for your concern.
OK.
Old 24th January 2015, 05:16 PM   #19
TyHawk4501
Legend

TyHawk4501

Very cool Gamer2020! Looking forward to the new features in Pokemon Game Editor. Keep up the good work buddy!
Old 18th April 2015, 09:29 AM   #20
Xx_RNR_xX
n00b

Xx_RNR_xX

Hello

Do you need to edit the ini to add more pokemon or moves and such?
It's a bit of annoying since it's really long.

Anyway, Thank you for making such a great tool.
It sure comes in handy with the hack I'm working on.
I don't have to go back in one tool and another.
Xx_RNR_xX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
editor, game, pokemon, [Multi]